What's new

tunnel car wash

hopper28755

Reaction score
I been looking into starting a car wash in my area. Its a somewhat new area that is busting. I had a location that i had in mind along a state highway 6 lanes. Used by people to get to work in other countys. Theres turn lanes from both directions into the property. Lets say we could get the 1 acre for $200-300k. We would build a automated tunnel wash. My question is there any car wash franchises? And also how do i make sure the car wash would actually be succesful? Just beacuse its along a busy street it still could fail. And other question what size tunnel would work best. What type of financing can you get for the project?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I had a location that i had in mind along a state highway 6 lanes. Used by people to get to work in other countys. Theres turn lanes from both directions into the property.”

6-lane major highway arterials are usually not desirable site location for carwash unless the area is a regional shopping destination with high density, good variety and tightly clustered retail stores.

“…is there any car wash franchises?”

Yes, there are a handful of carwash franchises (i.e. Goo Goo’s, Cactus, Mr. Clean, Monkey Shine, Super Wash).

There is also NASCAR-branded carwash, licensing agreement, not franchise.

“And also how do i make sure the car wash would actually be succesful?”

Anticipated financial success of new carwash site location can be judged using models of sales assessment as part of a carwash study, concept study or feasibility study.

“And other question what size tunnel would work best.”

Property width and length planning for carwash is based on anticipated sales volumes or car count.

Tunnel or conveyor length is usually determined based on maximum hourly demand.

Maximum demand is typically three times greater than average. So, estimate average hourly demand and multiple it by three.

Divide the answer by 10 = approximate conveyor length in feet

“What type of financing can you get for the project?”

Best shot for “new-to-industry” to finance a build project is SBA 7a loan program.

Here, new-to-industry will need to demonstrate “excellent” market opportunity and some previous ownership experience and very closely related management experience.

Hope this helps.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. the car wash business is a hands-on business that requires knowledge in many areas to be successful.

2. location is very important. egress is critical, as are speed limits and daily traffic count.

3. start with a business plan. this requires research. going to trade shows, reading articles and working at 2 car washes were ways I did mine before taking the plunge.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The best money you could spend at this point is on a good independent car wash consultant with no skin in the game. Be careful when choosing one because some are connected to equipment and chemical manufacturers so choose wisely. It would be best to contact several to see if one meets your needs without bias. If you are lucky you might be able to find a distributor that might be able to assess the location but be aware that his goals and yours in this deal may not be the same.

I don't know your situation but if you are really serious this project will cost a lot of your hard earned money. I would suggest you put together a team consisting of a lawyer, accountant, banker/investor/partner you trust as well as a car wash consultant. Investigate all aspects of the project including but not limited to local restrictions, cost of permits and fees, possible financing options, local governments for an future development plans and if possible a successful car wash operator/owner willing to share their thoughts. Don't be afraid to spend some money during this process because it might be the best investment you could make.

Finally, don't fall in love with the project until it proves to be viable for you.

hopper28755

Reaction score
Would anyone be intrested in helping me out with a site location? I have a few sites and just need your opion. Thanks for all the great replys!