What's new

True Value

Gabriel

Reaction score
How much value do you think should be placed on Manufacturer support when purchasing new Equipment. I think that those of us with great Distributors are extremely lucky. What about the guys that loose their old reliable distributors or just do not have one close by at all. Personally, I love our Distributors, but if they should leave I think I would crash and burn, or at least be severly handicapped. Should a Manufacturer be a reliable source for reliable support or is their job finished when they sell the crap. It is happening every day. What is your experience--what is your say!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can do it w/out a mfg. as long as you are smart and savvy and have access to other industry pros and machinist-types who are on 'your side'.

Anyone with a machine that has been discontinued will tell you the same!

soapy

Reaction score
The forum folks are as much help as the manufacturer or distributor. I would hate to loose any of the three. If a distributor folds then I think the mfg. has an obligation to help the car wash operator who bought the machine.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
As far as the manufacture goes I feel , if they do not a dist. in your area they should have some responsible to offer help by phone at the least. I also feel they should offer tech. help by phone to the buyers who have thier own servicemen or do their own service work.
To me this is the type of support that would make me go back and look at their equipment when I get ready to buy or remodel.
Just my opinion.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO, you need it in a contract, with the manuf. when you buy the machine, that they will provide support if the distr. doesn't for whatever reason.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
All the value in the world should be placed on a manufacture when deciding which equipment to purchase. Bill, that would a great idea to have in a contract. Distributors may come and go, but 5-10 yrs down the road, you more than likely will have the same equipment, made by the same manufacture. Knowing that you can obtain the necessary componets to keep your equipment operational is worth alot. In no way am I saying that distributors are not important, just that you need to have a good relationship with the manufacture in case something happens.

pfreeman

Reaction score
I say that the manufacturer should provide after-sale support. Providing technical support and customer service to the buyers is not only is just plain good business, it also builds customer loyalty to the brand. It also allows the manufacturer to gather data on how a piece of equipment is working and what the customers are looking for.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I say that the manufacturer should provide after-sale support. Providing technical support and customer service to the buyers is not only is just plain good business, it also builds customer loyalty to the brand. It also allows the manufacturer to gather data on how a piece of equipment is working and what the customers are looking for.
This is why Ryko has so many "Direct Areas". Service support directly from the factory, it works too, I did it for 15 years.

Rick Lancelle

Washworld Tech Support
Reaction score
Offering Technical Support 7/24 to all customers is not only good business but a great tool for the manufacturer. There can be some great product developement that can be taken from the many conversations that may take place. The relationship that is developed with each piece of equipment that passes through the doors at Washworld will continue for the full term of that equipments operation and beyond. We at Washworld are blessed with such a vast knowledge base in the industry it would be criminal for us not share that with all, whether your currently a Washworld customer or not.
On a personal note, one of the deciding factors in joining the Washworld Team was the dedication to the people that make Washworld what it is today, that being the customers, potential customers and the people of Washworld.

MikeV

Reaction score
There are times when a customer will have an outstanding bill of several thousand dollars and take forever to pay, so I cut their service or shut down their wash until they pay. If the manufacturer helps them get their car wash back up and running, I'm out a bunch of money. Guess its a two edged sword.

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
There are times when a customer will have an outstanding bill of several thousand dollars and take forever to pay, so I cut their service or shut down their wash until they pay. If the manufacturer helps them get their car wash back up and running, I'm out a bunch of money. Guess its a two edged sword.
Of course that's where a good manufacturer to distributor relationship is important - Communicating with the manufacturer why you're not looking after the customer currently should allow you to work out an agreement. Also - getting a credit card from questionable accounts is always a great idea.

As a rule - I don't think I would everr shut anybody down because of money (I've never let an account get that far behind), but I will always require payment of old invoices before selling new parts or supplies.

As far as the manufacturer / distributor support debate - I think both are equally important, but perhaps a little bit more importance should be put on the distributor. The dist. is the person who is selling, installing and maintaining this equipment at a hands on level - They can take a poorly manufactured un-supported piece of equipment and make it great. But they can also take a high quality piece of equipment with full manufacturer support and turn it into garbage - I've seen both. The manufacturer has a responsibility to manufacture to the best of it's ability, and give top notch support to the distributor AND to the customer when necessary. I feel the distributor should always be the first phone call from the customer because they are most familiar with the little details of the installation, and system history.

steve01

Reaction score
Having been smoked by a less-then-desirable distributor, I would definately look at manufacturer support as an important part of the equation. Theoretically, the manufacturer should be a more stable entity then a distributor, therefore a longer-term source of support.

MikeV

Reaction score
Of course that's where a good manufacturer to distributor relationship is important - Communicating with the manufacturer why you're not looking after the customer currently should allow you to work out an agreement. Also - getting a credit card from questionable accounts is always a great idea.

As a rule - I don't think I would everr shut anybody down because of money (I've never let an account get that far behind), but I will always require payment of old invoices before selling new parts or supplies.

As far as the manufacturer / distributor support debate - I think both are equally important, but perhaps a little bit more importance should be put on the distributor. The dist. is the person who is selling, installing and maintaining this equipment at a hands on level - They can take a poorly manufactured un-supported piece of equipment and make it great. But they can also take a high quality piece of equipment with full manufacturer support and turn it into garbage - I've seen both. The manufacturer has a responsibility to manufacture to the best of it's ability, and give top notch support to the distributor AND to the customer when necessary. I feel the distributor should always be the first phone call from the customer because they are most familiar with the little details of the installation, and system history.
I don't normally service this customer, This bill is for one service call. The manufacturer i am a distributor for does back me up in situations like this.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Maybe the manuf. should be notified when any customer is past due 60 days or so and then they are better prepared when that guy calls in saying the the distr. won't help him.