What's new

Treating Others How You'd Want to Be Treated?

Carl

Reaction score
I consider myself to be an outstanding American citizen/patriot! The Golden Rule has always been a great guide for me in all of life. But recently, I've been more stubborn and wondered what you guys thought about all those marketing calls you're getting to your wash?

At the carwash my caller ID will show many 800-number calls or other out-of-town calls which are usually always telemarketers or merchant account services companies wanting me to switch over to their system. I rarely ever pick up such telephone calls when I've ID's them as out-of-town. Most recently I've gotten five calls from various local radio stations and TV stations/marketing people from their sales reps kindly asking me for a call back to schedule time for them to show me their rates or listen to their great deals on radio promotions which their company can offer my business to supposedly boost sales, etc. The thing is...I find myself these days so busy w/ more important things to attend to, and I've begun to "blow these guys off" and not return their calls.

Do you guys make it a point to "do the right thing" and be courteous and give these people a call back or have you become tired of being asked to spend money you don't have in an economy where people haven't much disposable income to even respond to such ads right now?!!

How do you guys handle the seemingly increasing number of calls to your business from so many "marketers" and advertisers nowadays where they ask for a return call? Are you sick of them bothering you or do you see them as just like you and me and trying to make a living and people who deserve the kind respect of a call back? I guess I'm feeling guilty right now 'cause I used to ALWAYS call these people back but now, not so much. Thanks. - Carl :cool:

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Treatment

I don't think you need to worry about treating others as you would like to be treated as I don't think that is happening here.

Why? You don't strike me as the type to make hundreds of unwanted, annoying telemarketing calls to people who don't want to receive them.

By continuing to make these unwanted calls, aren't those people starting things off by treating you in a way you would not treat them?

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
you are quite a bit nicer than the way most of the people treat them. I don't think missing a callback is mean. I have gotten tired of 800 numbers, and restricted numbers and 212(NY) numbers, and don't bother anymore answering them, they can leave a voice mail if it's important. Put your phone number on the do not call list-It helps a little.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Why do you think you need to call back everybody who wants to sell you something? Do you also write letters to everybody who sends you junk mail? Call everybody who puts an ad in the paper? Visit every business who puts up a billboard?

I dont mean to offend, but I have to admit I simply dont understand why you think calling them back is the right/respectful thing to do.

Carl

Reaction score
Thanks for the Inspiration to NOT...

Guys,

I appreciate your feedback. :eek: With your help I've decided NOT to call back those people because you're right...I didn't ask for their sales call and besides, from my experience, many of these people will get "pushy" once I call back and some INSIST that they at least be able to drop by to meet me and to "drop off some literature", etc. This only burns more of my precious time when I can be working for myself to further my business the ways I need to. I just deleted those people's voicemail messages, and I feel better about it and not guilty at all 'cause I didn't ask for their marketing help at all.

Happy Washing, all & thanks! - Carl

jfmoran

Reaction score
Caller ID is one of the greatest inventions ever. If I don't know the number, I don't answer it, that's what voicemail is for. 9 times out of 10, they don't leave a voicemail which means it's either an automatic dialer or someon selling something. If it's a legitimate call, they leave a message and then I call them back. At home, I turn my 15 year old loose on them, it's impossible to make prank calls anymore so he enjoys messing with telemarketers. :D

txheat

Reaction score
get on the list or tell them stop calling . you can call or do it online to eliminate 800/888 numbers from spamming. google this....National Do Not Call registry or donotcall.gov. It reduce alot of clutter in ur box, but i still get companies that work around this and uses their own phone numbers lol.

Last edited:

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Whoo hoo, is this thread perfectly made for the audio clip ("Telemarketer's Nightmare") I want to post here or what?!! Bill, I'll send it to you and, hopefully, you can attach it via link or whatever.

Again, this thread makes listening to it almost "mandatory". Enjoy ... cringe ... repeat.

JJJ/SSCWN

Oh, BTW --- that all too long awaited pub represented by the initials after the "forward slash" in the above signature is, believe it or not, off the presses and at the mailers. ("Forward Slash" ... "Forward Slash" --- hmmmmm, that could have the makings of a pithy "mission statement", a Viking motto, and/or a tattoo. But I digress ... or do I?)

gearhead

Reaction score
Agree with jfmoran. Nice touch with your teenager. I used to let my 3 year old take care of those. She liked to hold the buttons down for a long time because she liked the noise it made. Still makes me laugh.

rzeavy

Reaction score
I don't answer any phone calls coming through the land line.
The people I'm interesting talking to have my cell phone #

norton

Reaction score
When I get a solicitor call on the phone I tell them I do not buy anything over the phone. I then tell them that I meet with all salesmen on Monday mornings between 9 and 10 am at location XXXX. I will be looking forward to seeing them then. Funny thing is no one ever shows up. I guess it is too expensive to fly in from India for a personal sales call.

Carl

Reaction score
Typical!

My caller ID showed a local cell phone # so I thought the call was "safe" and surely a customer calling me...WRONG! Was an AFLAC rep wanting to schedule time to meet w/ me to discuss their great supplemental insurance. I politely told her I was not interested, and that I had no need for this BUT SHE PROCEEDED TO INSIST THAT I MEET W/ HER ONLY FOR 15 MINUTES TIME because what she had for me and my employees was the greatest thing ever! {What part of "no" do they not hear or understand?} :mad:

Another example why you guys turn these phone calls over to your kids! Yup...if I get voicemail messages from these unwanted solicitors, you've convinced me THEY DON'T DESERVE A CALL BACK!

Thanks! - Carl

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
You're too nice Carl. In the rare event that I accidently answer one of those calls I usually just hang up as soon as they start their speel. If I'm in a nice guy mood I listen and as soon as they stop talking they hear "I'm not interested, thanks for calling, click." Don't engage them, they know all the right things to say to keep you on the line.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
One thing I do if I pick it up by mistake is to do not say anything. If it is one of those automated dialers it does not trip to a salesperson and eventually it just hangs up.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I read somewhere that if its automatic dialer, then hit 6 a bunch of times and it confuses the computer and they remove the number from their databank. Worth a try.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Other people will waste as much of your time as you allow them to.

I've been playing with google voice and it shows some promise provided a number local to your exchange is available. It is a free service. One of the things you can do is block a caller. When they call, they will get a "phone disconnected" message.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Many of these types of callers come up with a blocked caller ID. My phone service allows me to block any calls from blocked caller ID numbers. After I put that block on the number of unsolicited calls dropped drastically.