What's new

Trash in oil separator

OurTown

Reaction score
Is it normal to see trash floating in your oil separator/interceptor after a while? Does it mean we have a trap missing on one of our bay pits? Years ago I had an environmental company use one of those water sample "thiefs" and there was very little oil on top and very little solids in the bottom so we did not have it pumped. I don't remember seeing trash floating at that time. We might have a slow drain somewhere so we started to investigate.

OurTown

Reaction score
Also I don't remember the water height being so high but could be from a partially plugged outlet.

MEP001

Reaction score
Whenever I've seen trash floating in the trap, it was because the bays had a straight open pipe. I always put an elbow on the pipe turned down so debris can't float down to the trap.

OurTown

Reaction score
Whenever I've seen trash floating in the trap, it was because the bays had a straight open pipe. I always put an elbow on the pipe turned down so debris can't float down to the trap.

I'm pretty sure they should have those but are hard to see up under the floor. I'll pull the grates and peek in there.