What's new

Trash Can Recommendations

HeyVern

Reaction score
How do you guys prevent your lightweight plastic trash cans from blowing over or people moving them? Since we really blew our budget on our remodel we are planning to go with 6 of these cheap black plastic ones but need to anchor them down to asphalt. They make asphalt anchors but the these cans are flimsy and might need huge fender washers or backing plates.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E1FMNA?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
I put a heavy rock from my landscaping in the bottom of 2 of mine. One of them I got a piece of light chain and hooked it to a sign post.

edredtop

Reaction score
I used to place a 55 gallon container by each vacuum for 2 decades and empty a little bit of trash out of each of them once a week. I just recently reduced our trash acceptance to one 30 gallon can because of the unbelievable abuse of our service. People that live in their cars would pull in and unpack their lives for half of the day, repack and leave a can or two overflowing with refuse. Or we get people's house trash, a 'newish' problem for us. We pretty much have that stopped now but will never go back to that many cans. For a trash can we finish a soap or wax product, cut the top off, drill a dozen or more holes in the bottom for rain (so it doesn't weigh a ton when you go to empty it) and chain to the vac islands. If you don't have time to occasionally rinse the area, don't drill holes because sodas will leak through. I drill holes because can collectors pour the sodas all over anyway. When the barrel starts to look bad, unbolt the hardware and toss the barrel.

Attachments

soapy

Reaction score
I had custom made stainless steel enclosures made 30 years ago that have a flip over top with a lock for the lid. They are big enough to hold a 32 gallon Rubber made Brute trash can. They still look great today except for a couple that have been backed into. If we catch the people on camera we make them buy a new one, other wise we pound them back out. they look similar to the metal ones mentioned earlier.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
We use 5 32-gallon blue BRUTE plastic trash cans and buy from Uline. They match our blue & yellow color scheme. To discourage theft & prevent blowing away, we attach with nylon coated metal wire, attached to block wall. We drill 4-1" holes in the sides for rain water to drain. We wash the trash cans out every Friday. They last 4-5 years, until they're scratched and/or faded.

In 10 years we've only had 1 person cut the cable & steal one can! (y)

Attachments

Last edited:

Rudy

Reaction score
I bought Trash Receptacles from Wausau Tile 15+ years ago.

Not cheap, but only paid once.

They still look great.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
No, I got a waiver too. I put together a Recycling Plan for the city, showing how we recycle each of the items. I have a dedicated guy who has a key to my dumpster and removes the bottles and cans 3x/week. The city inspected my dumpster and approved it! I personally recycle clean cardboard, tires, eWaste, batteries and clothing.

A few years ago, we tried individual cans for recycling and the homeless STOLE THEM!! 😖