What's new

Trash Can Recommendations

Graffiti Wash

Reaction score
I'm looking to install some trash cans at our self-service car wash. For most of them, we will be installing them next to a vacuum on a vacuum pedestal, and others will go directly on the ground. It's a bad area so we're thinking of going with something metal, heavy duty, possibly mesh or perforated so people have less incentive to tag on them. They will have to be anchored, but homeless people in the area will likely steal the trash bags from the inside, so we'll probably need something with a plastic removable liner. Any recommendations? Looking at red, orange, or maybe even rock to go with our car wash theme. Thanks.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Be ready to empty them 3-5 a day, I'm considering removing mine because the rampant abuse of people "not customers" using them as their personal dump off site which if not maintained makes your wash look trashy "no pun intended" and a potential turnoff to customers.

Graffiti Wash

Reaction score
We have some right now but they're basically the size of a barrel cut in half. We empty them twice a day, but our experience at other locations in the same area is if we don't have them people will just throw their trash on the floor.

Roz

Reaction score
We removed our trash bins and replaced them with 110gal wheeled containers owned and emptied by our trash collection company. Best move as they do not need to be emptied between times that trash company comes to empty them. Customers love the service. Helper likes that his job is a bit easier too. Was same cost as the 6 yard container we used to empty the bins into (which is gone).

Reaction score
We use cheap 32 gallon black plastic containers from the local hardware store. We used to have issues with the lids blowing away (literally gone with the wind) so I took some cheap small gauge stainless cable and a stainless fishing swivel, and tethered the lids to the nearest place that was convenient with a stainless cleat.
I like using cheap smaller garbage cans because I can replace them every six months and have them stay looking good, and the smaller ones are less conducive for someone to try to shove in a whole honda engine, or poached deer.

Overachiever

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a garbage can similar to what @Graffiti Wash is looking for, but haven't really seen anything in the 55 gallon range that is secure. Mostly I just want to stop having to use garbage bags, and to prevent the homeless from dumping all the trash out on the ground, which happens often enough that bad thoughts go through my head on what I'll do to the guy if I ever catch him.

Garbage cans or not I doubt my car wash will ever change from being the place you take your old tires, tvs, expired pantry food, packages of newspapers you don't want to deliver, puppies you can't sell, etc.

Graffiti Wash

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a garbage can similar to what @Graffiti Wash is looking for, but haven't really seen anything in the 55 gallon range that is secure. Mostly I just want to stop having to use garbage bags, and to prevent the homeless from dumping all the trash out on the ground, which happens often enough that bad thoughts go through my head on what I'll do to the guy if I ever catch him.

Garbage cans or not I doubt my car wash will ever change from being the place you take your old tires, tvs, expired pantry food, packages of newspapers you don't want to deliver, puppies you can't sell, etc.
These are some of the ones I've been looking at:

I'm not really sure they'd hold up. We have cameras with a speaker and try to monitor it as much as we can but still have issues.

DAWGWASH

Reaction score
I'm looking to install some trash cans at our self-service car wash. For most of them, we will be installing them next to a vacuum on a vacuum pedestal, and others will go directly on the ground. It's a bad area so we're thinking of going with something metal, heavy duty, possibly mesh or perforated so people have less incentive to tag on them. They will have to be anchored, but homeless people in the area will likely steal the trash bags from the inside, so we'll probably need something with a plastic removable liner. Any recommendations? Looking at red, orange, or maybe even rock to go with our car wash theme. Thanks.
I just use standard gray 32gal cans from Lowe’s no trash bags just take to dumpster and empty. Cut a circular hole on the lid. It’s usually the people that spend no money that give you the most trash, but that’s just part of it. The more times you empty them the more trash you get. But all in all my customers are pretty good

kentadel

Reaction score
On busy days I will set a trash can just outside my office/equipment room for customers to use. It provides a service and prevents abuse.

Keno

Reaction score
We use 30ish gallon rubbermaid with wheels. No trash bags - wheel them to the dumpster and dump them. Wash them in bay when they start stinking. Works for us, we have vac islands that they go in with the stainless dome covers.

Islandwash

Reaction score
I have used Rubbermaid Gluttons for 25 years at 3 washes and have tried other various smaller cans. I always end up back with Gluttons. Collecting Trash seems to go with having Vacuums. My trash pickup of a 4-yard dumpster once a week cost $450 a month.

Graffiti Wash

Reaction score

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Speaking of rock-I bought these with a blue top for a wash I built in 2001. I drove by the other day and they're still there:

OurTown

Reaction score
How do you guys prevent your lightweight plastic trash cans from blowing over or people moving them? Since we really blew our budget on our remodel we are planning to go with 6 of these cheap black plastic ones but need to anchor them down to asphalt. They make asphalt anchors but the these cans are flimsy and might need huge fender washers or backing plates.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E1FMNA?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Last edited:

DavidM

Reaction score
We just purchased these... https://www.belson.com/Metal-Armor-Commercial-Trash-Cans
They have a hard plastic liner that pulls out to empty. You can also purchase a concrete base in the bottom to make them even heavier. Good trash cans are expensive but they should last a long time. We have some of the concrete ones that Greg linked and they are probably 25-30 years old. New plastic tops and they are good as new.