What's new

tow truck drivers are stealing free washes

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I had a customer tell me that a tow truck driver sprayed water in the coinbox to mess up the timer and get free washes.
How can I prevent this from happening?
Somehow it is shorting and the accepor is giving time.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Cameras--they will save you a lot more than they will ever cost you.

Wash-A-Roo

Living off .25$
Reaction score
cameras are great dont get me wrong.....i have them and suggest them. But that will just let u see whos doing it and if there just joe blow passing thru its hard to get them plus the locals that do it you can go after but thats a big headache. Some equipment has sensors in them that when they get wet it stops the bay till it dries out. The best part about that is it takes what money the did put in it! My dilling and harris equipment has this. You might contact them and see if it can be added to your equipment. If not I'm sure your local carwash company can make something work for you..... good luck.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Why didn't he pay attention to the logo on the truck??? My protection kit can solve this too. You still need cameras too.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Many years ago I had that problem. I don't think my problem was the coin mech. I sealed all the connections. I made a "boot" for my electronics plug by using a big gob of silicone sealant. When it dried it made the connections on the timer much more water resistant. I also sprayed the terminal strip connections with liquid electrical tape or plasti-dip. Seems like that stopped it.

lag

Reaction score
D and H have a waterbuster, it basically has 2 contacts,and when water gets between the contacts it will shut down the bay.

I have ginsan timers,and had to put a relay in. the water buster breaks the relay circuit,and resets the timer.

I did it many years ago, and whoever makes your equipment,may already have something to shut the bay down in case of water in the box. Also as stated above seal all the wire connections back to the equipment room.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Years ago I had one bay only that did the same thing. Put silicon on all connectons but sometimes it would still do it.
Finally I cut the bay/gun hose shorter and used a shorter wand so that they couldn't reach the box with the gun. Probably wasn't the right solution but it solved the problem. They were able to still get around the cars.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Years ago I had one bay only that did the same thing. Put silicon on all connectons but sometimes it would still do it.
Finally I cut the bay/gun hose shorter and used a shorter wand so that they couldn't reach the box with the gun. Probably wasn't the right solution but it solved the problem. They were able to still get around the cars.
I could just see your customers washing one side of their car, get in, pull out, turn it around, then wash the other side with that short hose!!! Loyal customers!!! ;-) Joking of course, just thought it was funny.

mac

Reaction score
Here is how this is happening. You can buy me a single malt scotch at the show for a thank you. The terminal strip inside, where everytning is wired, is the culprit. When water, or a low pressure like tire cleaner, is sprayed into the box, and onto the strip, it will allow a small short between the 24 vac hot signal to connect with the coin/dollar bill terminal, and send lots of pulses. Simply remove the coin/bill wires from the strip and wire nut them together. The current then will not be able to get to them. The jerks will still squirt water, but the free washes will stop. An alternative method is to wire 220 volt contacts between the box and the floor, but you may get innocent bystanders using that method. And if you can see who is doing it, nail their butt to the wall.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I could just see your customers washing one side of their car, get in, pull out, turn it around, then wash the other side with that short hose!!! Loyal customers!!! ;-) Joking of course, just thought it was funny.
You jest but I thought that would be a problem too. Fortunately it wasn't for most people.
Back then there weren't mini vans so only large vans had problems.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you have a GinSan timer in the meter box, it may be shorting with a closed circuit when it gets wet, and returns to normal operation when it dries out. I've been to many washes with the GinSan timer in a plastic bag for that reason.

mac's solution of removing the coin and timed load wires from the terminal strip, albeit offered with arrogance, is also a possibility. His suggestion of 220V between the box and the floor is just stupid since it will land you in prison if someone dies.

If all else fails, I would either install a "WaterBuster" type device or install cameras and catch them.

mac

Reaction score
Let's lighten up a bit. So much for humor. I still can not see why adding another thing to the box, such as the water buster, when isolating the wires eliminates the issue. On many newer installs that's what Gin San has done.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Before disconnecting the wires froim the strip I encourage a trial of liquid electrical tape or plasti-dip. You can get either product in a spray can. You can spray a terminal strip in 30 seconds. This allows you to keep the terminal strip which makes troubleshooting quicker. Plasti-dip is available at Lowes in the paint section.

Just looked on the internet and both products are made by the same company.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Last edited: