What's new

Touchless or Friction?

med5595

Reaction score
I am putting a rollover car wash at my gas station and I am debating whether I should go touch free or friction. At first I thought it was a no-brainer. I’m definitely going friction. That’s because I never rook my car to a touch free washes. I’ve had a couple bad experiences, leaving my glossy trim pieces with chemical stains.

But after talking to some friends, it looks like a lot of people prefer touch free. Also, the four closest washes to my location are all friction washes.

Please let me know your thoughts. This is my first car wash and your feedback is much appreciated.

kentadel

Reaction score
You will hear good, sound arguments from both sides. Considering it is your first wash and 4 close competitors are friction, touch free gets my vote. As an operator of over 30 years, it's now 100% touch free for me. We get vehicles clean. Equipment is important. Soft water and good chemistry are a must.
Good luck!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Touch free has it's niche, but I assume you're in the C store business and not an active car washer. if you aren't going to actively monitor water and presoak quality I'd recommend friction. It's going to provide a more consistent wash.

There are a couple of manufacturers of combo units that will do either. Istobal and Mark VII are manufacturers that come to mind. Availability of local support would be a deciding factor for many.

Wash4Life

Reaction score
I would go with touch-free. You have three choices when it comes to your competition

1. Be less than (should never be taken)

2. Be better than

3. Be different then

With the competition, I feel #3 is the way to go.