What's new

Touchless IBA Hp dryer options?

New Washdog

Reaction score
Does anyone have first hand experience with the performance difference (car drying ability) of say four bridge mounted 10hp units vs four 7.5Hp units on a touchless wash? Is it drastically different? Has anyone chosen a lower Hp option and regretted it??

The reason I ask is, using an online KWH calculator the annual energy cost savings would be around $4500 not including the demand charges. So I'm sure the savings would be north of $5000 a year.

Thanks in advance!

washnshine

Reaction score
Does anyone have first hand experience with the performance difference (car drying ability) of say four bridge mounted 10hp units vs four 7.5Hp units on a touchless wash? Is it drastically different? Has anyone chosen a lower Hp option and regretted it??

The reason I ask is, using an online KWH calculator the annual energy cost savings would be around $4500 not including the demand charges. So I'm sure the savings would be north of $5000 a year.

Thanks in advance!
Are you talking dryers mounted on the machine or drive through? On the machine you control the speed and can do 2 passes if you want and maybe get away with less HP if your cars at clean and you have a good drying agent.

Drive through on the other hand, most people will go too quickly or drive through at an uneven speed - like slow at first, then dart out half way through. You will notice more of a difference if it is drive through because of the inconsistencies of the customers and your lack of control.

OurTown

Reaction score
Are you sure your decimal point is in the right place? The difference seems pretty high.

New Washdog

Reaction score
Are you talking dryers mounted on the machine or drive through? On the machine you control the speed and can do 2 passes if you want and maybe get away with less HP if your cars at clean and you have a good drying agent.

Drive through on the other hand, most people will go too quickly or drive through at an uneven speed - like slow at first, then dart out half way through. You will notice more of a difference if it is drive through because of the inconsistencies of the customers and your lack of control.
To clarify, I am talking machine mounted dryers, and thanks for your input washnshine.

New Washdog

Reaction score
Are you sure your decimal point is in the right place? The difference seems pretty high.
I probably should have included in my post my savings is for three bays based on my current car count and dryer cycle time. So yes my figures are correct.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I probably should have included in my post my savings is for three bays based on my current car count and dryer cycle time. So yes my figures are correct.
I see no way to save $5000/yr going from 10hp to 7.5hp. Sumbich, what's your monthly electric bill?
Mine, w/ 2 busy IBAs each w/ 15hp dryers, is $800/mo =$9500/yr. So, by your calculations, mine would be about $350/mo =$4200/yr.
I just don't see it

MC3033

Reaction score
Should be able to save around 25% power by making the change. I would estimate a loss in CFM at 20%. Factor in diminishing returns on the CFM and would definitely be a good decision to go to 7.5hp.

Personally though, I’d consider going 5 blowers at 7.5hp. A bit more cost up front and in maintenance but in the long run you are around the same power cost as the 10s and get a dryer car

New Washdog

Reaction score
I see no way to save $5000/yr going from 10hp to 7.5hp. Sumbich, what's your monthly electric bill?
Mine, w/ 2 busy IBAs each w/ 15hp dryers, is $800/mo =$9500/yr. So, by your calculations, mine would be about $350/mo =$4200/yr.
I just don't see it
Our January electric bill was over $2000. I did revisit the cost calculator I used, and I did indeed make a mistake. I used this calculator, https://www.prismengineering.com/resources/calculators Electric rates are pretty high in Vermont, according to eia.gov average commercial rate is .165 per kWh. My dryers run approximately 1420 hrs. a year. If I did it correctly this time my annual savings will be more like $3000 to $3500. Not as much as I first calculated but still significant.
Thanks for getting me to revisit my figures soonermajic