What's new

Touch free not cleaning very good

Rfarm

Reaction score
We are running a inverted L machine in colorado. Hot low pressure simoniz correct powder and mc liquid. We are doing OK on the cleaning, but not real consistent. At times it will leave streaks where the product ran down, I have tried more product, and less product, it didnt seem to help it almost made it worse. My question is can i put something with it to stop the streaking??? Just today iam trying putting foam brush in as well to make it stick more and hopefully clean instead of running off..??? I run a mixer early morning and night for 3 minutes to help the consistency of the product.

thanks Rfarm

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There is not really a simple answer to your cleaning issues. While the chemical mix might be part of the problem the streaking is more a result of the application, surface condition and soils than the chemical. Are you heating your presoak? Warmer water tends to cut through soils better than cold. Try a finer spray nozzle to limit the amount of creating the streaking. You also have to understand that some of the problem is how dirty the vehicle is, what condition the surface is in and what type of soils are on the surface. Dirty vehicles that have not been washed for a while create tough cleaning conditions due to a build up of a variety of soils that have accumulated over a period of time especially for touch free washes. Oxidized painted surfaces are "soft", absorb dirt and tend to "hold on" to soils more than one that is in good condition. Organic soils are a lot more difficult to deal with and will tend to cause more streaking that inorganic soils. Unfortunately when one of the best car wash chemists I have known was asked how to eliminate streaking and road film in a touch free wash responded "Friction".

BBE

Reaction score
Have you tried playing with the amount of air on your low pressure passes? More air will make the product "stick" better.

gearhead

Reaction score
Sounds like it may be a coverage issue. Inverted L speed around the car and volume of product will determine coverage. Make sure it is not too fast or you don't have too much air pressure. To get good coverage with my machines and presoak( I use similar powder mix) I turned up my water pressure to try and eliminate the "spitting" effect from the L. You may have to add a little more chemical to keep your strength the same because you are adding more water, but you will benefit from the better coverage.

Rfarm

Reaction score
Thanks for the help on my issue. I feel like my coverage is pretty good, but i am learning everyday....

We are putting 2 passes of this product on, after the first pass its all wet with product and starts running pretty good, then after the second its totally covered and running. That is why i was thinking it needs to stick more to eat through evenly, but I am a rookie. The product is injected in the water with dosing pumps, i have played with the water pressure but not the air running the pump, only the dial. We have turbo nozzles and I have the pass running alot slower than the mfg recommends trying to cut more, but iam thinking thats not the problem..??

If i mix more powder in it starts to fall out of solution. So maybe I need a stronger powder or another chemical to boost the alkaline??

Rfarm

Jeff_L

Reaction score
How is your soft water situation? It's very important to use soft water to get the best results.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Quote: "We are putting 2 passes of this product on, after the first pass its all wet with product and starts running pretty good, then after the second its totally covered and running."

This part makes me pretty sure your problem is related to initial coverage. A thin or spotty first pass will result in streaking.

soapy

Reaction score
Correct and MC liquid are both a dilimolene product. You are probably running into some magnesium chloride that needs to be cleaned with a different type of product. Simoniz has better products for this.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“……inverted L……OK on the cleaning, but not real consistent. At times it will leave streaks where the product ran down,”

“My question is can i put something with it to stop the streaking???”

Biggest weaknesses of inverted-L are inconsistent distance, spray pattern and pressure between nozzle tip and vehicle surface.

Start with nozzle tips. If worn, replace them.

Effective touch-less cleaning occurs with two-phase chemistry and hot water (increases reactivity of chemical).

Alkaline followed by acidic and dwell time allows for heat of neutralization which breaks bond between grime and paint across the widest range of environmental conditions. It also creates a free rinsing surface.

Ensure the overhead carriage or gantry is traveling at OEM’s recommend speed (m/min).

Slower than normal travel speed requires less chemical, faster requires more.

Ensure OEM’s recommended pressure at pump head and nozzle tip.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I my past experiences Powdered chemicals aint worth 5cent....and I have tried alot of brands including Simoniz chemicals which did not clean cars at my sites either, Powder is so much work time consuming just like it was back in the Day people like this bc its cheap I have done this route. Ultra-Concentrates from my experience are the deal and better cost per car I have been using Armorall Professional/ZEP chemicals and cut back my chemical usage so so much look up who your local distributor is and give them a call. Also when is the last time you Titrated your chemicals

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I don't agree that people used powder just because it was cheap... Powdered presoaks have the ability to be 100% active ingredients... Although very few actually are. Liquids usually require additional suspension chemicals and some water for the product to have a shelf life. So for many it is just a value proposition. Some powder systems make adding a box of powder easier than changing out a pail! And as far as cleaning results, there are a million formulations and there are 10 opinions for each, so it a try and see kind of thing. Just make sure you are using enough to thoroughly coat the vehicle, that the chemical is hot on the car, the water is soft, and that it has time to work.... If results still suck, change chemical...