What's new

Tornador Detailing Tool

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
I do like Washmee and just use the APC I normally use for cleaning interiors. The Tornador is well worth the money. I saw some new models at SEMA they were coming out with but don't know when they will be out.

easy2wash

WW 2.0/4SS/5 Vacs/Detail
Reaction score
Tornador

The single most used tool in my detail tool arsenal. For light cleaning, I use 1 capful woolite in 1 gal of water. Heavy cleaning, I use APC mixed a little strong. There is one trick I have learned. Sometimes the gun will just stop spraying, and I have found that the solution will freeze in the small tube on the very inside of the cone. This happens after you have sprayed the solution, then use air only for cleaning/drying and the air cools the solution to below freezing. Simple fix? blow a few breaths of warm air into the cone (with your finger OFF the trigger) and usually it fixes the problem. Maybe 1% of the time, there is a bubble in the chemical induction tube that has to be cleared, but usually it is the freezing issue.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Love It!

Use the Tornador and the foaming gun as well, it's the only way we clean mats and carpets now.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
JF Moran

Can you describe your process for cleaning mats/carpets w/the Tornador?

Thanks!

jfmoran

Reaction score
JF Moran

Can you describe your process for cleaning mats/carpets w/the Tornador?

Thanks!
We used to use it filled with all-purpose cleaner to clean mats and carpets, however, this has one big draw back, the atomization of the all-purpose creates a mist that requires you to wear a fume mask, otherwise it will choke you.

My new process is to use their foamer (the same company makes a foaming gun attachement) filled with All-Purpose cleaner, we spray a layer of foam on the mat or carpet, agitate with a dual-head cyclo orbital (with brushes attached) or a carpet brush. I then take the Tornador filled with Hot Water and put the nozzle right up against the carpet, pull the trigger and move it back and forth in overlapping fashion. After that we take a micro-fiber towel and rub the carpet to remove the loosened soil and dampness, repeat if necessary, then vacuum with a claw nozzle.

I personally don't like carpet extractors because guys inevitably wet the carpets too much with them, causing long drying times or odor problems later on, they also can be very awkward to work with.

With the way that he Tornador atomizes the water, your will never get the carpets as wet as using a carpet extractor and you will get the same or better results.

Some words of wisdom, 1) Make sure you are wearing eye protection when using the Tornador becasue it will forcefully remove sand, dirt, etc.. sending it airborne, 2) You must place the nozzle directly against the surface you are cleaning, otherwise all you are doing is coating it with a mist of water or chemical, in some cases this is what you want, like when we clean really nasty interior surfaces and 3) when cleaning really dirty carpets you will find that the nozzle will get caked with dirt and the spinning sprayer will either slow down or stop. Just keep a bucket of hot water near buy, dip the whole gun in the bucket pull the trigger to clean periodically.

I should add, we used to use an aerosol carpet foam for cleaning carpets, my shops are high volume auto dealerships and this was an expensive way too clean carpets. The foamer and all-purpose cleaner is a much more cost effective model, as well as not having to invest $1500-$2000 in carpet extractors that inevitably need repair and maintenance. I can buy 15-20 Tornadors for the cost of one carpet extractor.

Last edited:

soapy

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a extra bottle for the tornador and filling it with hyper dressing or similar product and using the tornador to apply vinyl protectant to the plastics etc after cleaning the interior. Has anyone tried this and if so how did it work out?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great idea. Anything like this that cuts labor is a plus. Good idea that I will try w/my new Tornador and let you know.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:eek:Um, yeah..........

I LOVE this Tornador!:)

My initial test was very favorable. Looks like a true labor-saver in less toothbrushing,scrubbing, drying etc.

Lets just figure out if it works with vinyl dressing and why not try windows while we're at it?

Does require eye and ear protection. I didn't find a respirator necessary but maybe with a scuzzy car or in the heat I'd need one. Not sure yet.

But WOW; I should be less stubborn and try new equipment more often. Geeeeez!:D

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used my own general purpose cleaner.

I used the Tornador to clean a belt on my touchfree carwash today. Belt got soaked in gear oil mixed with water. The tool did a pretty good job. Would've been alot of work with a toothbrush and solvent otherwise.

This is the type of tool I can keep thinking of uses for which is nice.