What's new

Top Brushes

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Who has the best top brush?
As far as ease of maintenance, cleaning, damages, options etc.
How about a dual setup with brushes running in opposite directions?
I'm thinking about taking out 1 of my mitters and replacing with a top brush.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I love my Peco top brush. It has totally eliminated the "eyebrow" effect on windshields. It does a far superior job of removing bugs too. It is a very simple design and other than greasing a couple of bearings there is virtually no maintenance.

BBE

Reaction score
Who has the best top brush?
As far as ease of maintenance, cleaning, damages, options etc.
How about a dual setup with brushes running in opposite directions?
I'm thinking about taking out 1 of my mitters and replacing with a top brush.
I've seen motor city's "pendulum" set up in action. Two top brushes running in opposite directions, looks like it works pretty well. They are in a very high volume location.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
I have had a top brush from Hanna for 10 years! I just replaced a couple of foam sections last year! Other than greasing it does a wonderful job! Eyebrows are gone! Antenna side area (passenger side) needs replacing more often then rest of section.

The only gripe I have is that my top brush starts at car level and goes up as to other manufactures that starts up and goes down.

Sometimes we forget to include a top brush raise for empty pick-up beds. Luckily no issues because of that neglect! Wish I could resolve that issue.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
TEEBOX I noticed on the Motor City web site under "Top Wheel" this option.
Maybe you could use it for your top brush.
"The optional Pick Up Truck Bed Detector recognizes open pick up truck beds and will retract the brush before it enters the open bed. The best part is that it will allow the brush to wash the front half of the truck, bed mounted tool boxes, and tonneau covers! No other top wheel is as smart!"

DavidM

Reaction score
We installed a Macneil top brush in 2003 and it has been very good. It did not create any new damage issues, very reliable, very low maintenance.

We are using DRB's Tunnel Watch and installed their Vehicle Profile Detection last November. It uses sonar to detect open pickup beds and automatically retracts the top brush so we are no longer relying on someone to manually enter the retract.

RAATCB

Reaction score
We installed a Macneil top brush in 2003 and it has been very good. It did not create any new damage issues, very reliable, very low maintenance.

We are using DRB's Tunnel Watch and installed their Vehicle Profile Detection last November. It uses sonar to detect open pickup beds and automatically retracts the top brush so we are no longer relying on someone to manually enter the retract.
You haven't had any issues with top brush? No motor changes? I am looking into getting a top brush from either Motor City or Macneil, the only thing is the macneil looks more complicated to work on than the motor city.

DavidM

Reaction score
We have not changed the top brush motor. It is still the original hydraulic motor. We did have a hydraulic fitting on the motor that started to leak but we were able to access that and replace it without too much trouble.

The Macneil top brush is relatively simple. It is only single arm with a counterweight that is controlled by an air cylinder and the brush itself with a drive motor.

RAATCB

Reaction score
Do you have many issues with broken antennas and wiper blades? Also how often do you change the foam brushes?

DavidM

Reaction score
The only antenna issues would be a power antenna that is left up and no one catches it.

We have not had any issues with wipers.

I think the Macneil foam lasted about 150,000 cars. I just put foam on from Gallop Brush that I am hoping will last longer.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FYI. Have an AVW foam top brush . Don't know who they get their from from. Had to replace foam every 75,000 cars. started to lose pieces. Thought it was a proprietary design so kept ordering from them. Out of frustration called Dan at Erie. He made me Foam. After triple the number of cars, no apparent wear and no lost pieces. Only replaced it because it appeared dirty but I think it was really the foam losing pigment and getting dark. Same experience with this replacement. So, if you are not happy with the foam performance you get you might want to try Erie. (Get a dark Color)

DavidM

Reaction score
I have Macneil wrap arounds installed at the same time as the top brush (2003).

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Earl what type of foam (Spaghetti),thickness and color did you get (thicknesses including; 1/4”, 1/8” and 4mm Spaghetti)?
Did you have to get a new core?
Does the color still look good?

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
BBE I looked at the Motor City web site and didn't see a motor city's "pendulum" set up.
I thought they made one too but can't seem to find it.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Earl what type of foam (Spaghetti),thickness and color did you get (thicknesses including; 1/4”, 1/8” and 4mm Spaghetti)?
Did you have to get a new core?
Does the color still look good?
I really don't know. It's thicker than spaghetti so I would guess about 1/4" Dan pretty mutch matched AVW OEM. Got darker Blue the second time around so if it gets a little darker it's not as noticeable as lighter stuff.

John Logan

Reaction score
MacNeil Top Brush,

The only antenna issues would be a power antenna that is left up and no one catches it.

We have not had any issues with wipers.

I think the Macneil foam lasted about 150,000 cars. I just put foam on from Gallop Brush that I am hoping will last longer.
David, Any issues with the Macneil top brush ripping off, only passenger-side wiper arms - breaking at the base. Mostly on 2007 GMC Yukons, Tahoes, Escalades & older Durango's? Since 2009 we've broken at least two dozen. All psi settings have been adjusted many times, no change. Have two TB's operating in tandem, first TB lifts the arm and second TB breaks it off. This issues started day one with new TBs. We have a button to turn off first TB on those suvs. Unfortunately, no help from Macneil.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
David, Any issues with the Macneil top brush ripping off, only passenger-side wiper arms - breaking at the base. Mostly on 2007 GMC Yukons, Tahoes, Escalades & older Durango's? Since 2009 we've broken at least two dozen. All psi settings have been adjusted many times, no change. Have two TB's operating in tandem, first TB lifts the arm and second TB breaks it off. This issues started day one with new TBs. We have a button to turn off first TB on those suvs. Unfortunately, no help from Macneil.
Have you ever tried to change the rotation speed?

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
Our 6 MacNeil top brushes are extremely reliable and long lasting and safe for all cars. In our southern environment, our foam has averaged well over 300,000 cars each. Our flender electric motors have averaged 500,000 cars before failure.

Etowah