What's new

Top Brush Control Idea \ moved the robot

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/J1h73WHLKTM

I've heard they don't recommend installing the top brush backwards and I recall hearing that Mark Ellis was the first or one of the first guys to try it. Put it down just after the windshield to avoid more vertical windshields and it helps clean down the back windows pretty well. As you will see in the video description we have adjusted it to more aggressively travel down the windshield and by pulsing the air solenoid we can land on the roof very gently. We only do this on the first top brush. We also reduced the mist in the loading area by flip flopping the robot with the top brushes at this location. This location is the Hoffman Car Wash in Queensbury, NY. Those are MacNeil top brushes with foam washing material. The conveyor speed in this video is 185 cph @ 22' per car or 1.13 ft / second. If you don't have a PLC you can use an interval delay timer from Grainger Item # 1EGC7 set for 5 seconds and a repeat cycle timer from Grainger Item # 23NV13 that is adjustable and will cycle the air solenoid. Don't forget they each need a relay base Grainger Item # 5X852.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03RtqH52QR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPxHw_2mqlk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPxHw_2mqlk

This unit was installed in the 1970's and was in service about 35 years. Regularly operated at 180 CPH+.

Controls were low tech. Treadle switch for front tire released air. Eliminated issue of car skipping a roller and controller bringing brush down in front of windshield. Had simple needle valve on solenoid exhaust to control drop rate and by the time back end was at brush air was completely gone. Shock absorber also tempered drop and raise action. At bottom of travel a little lever up top hit a limit switch to have air once again fill cylinder.

Cleaning was excellent. Large taxi roof top ads made mitters a better choice.

sudsurfer

Reaction score
Couple of questions. What if you only have one top brush and why so many solenoids. We put a release valve on the exit air from top brush so it comes down smoothly.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
In my setup it was only one solenoid valve with 2 switches. The floor treadle and the limit switch. The Floor treadle made the solenoid / cylinder exhaust, and the limit switch closed the exhaust on the solenoid and filled the cylinder. This is a common 3 way solenoid valve.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The reverse hanging brush is to do the back end or as one of my guys called it the A$$ wiping brush. I recall seeing a video of brush that revered direction mid car to do this and it hung from a jointed arm. Seemed like a technology and mechanical nightmare. Using only one reverse mounted brush like this will not do any hood cleaning and misses part of the roof. You need something else to address those areas.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Tom, I've been out of the tunnel business for quite some time but are you dropping that reverse brush on a dry car? From what I remember about our MacNeil top brush was that foam didn't like a dry surface.

One nice thing about your reverse setup is how little space you can fit two top wheels in.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
At this particular location we prep every car and would never send a dirty, sandy car into it. If you look closely at the video you'll see we have a foamer spraying toward the brush. I just noticed at our Clifton Park store we are spraying soap and water into the back side of the brush but it looks like at Saratoga I'm not seeing it. I'll check. Thanks

John Logan

Reaction score
MacNeil TB problems

Hey Tom, thanks for the insight.

I've had a problem since day 1 with my MacNeil top brushes -- the first brush will often lift up/damage/break the passenger side wiper arm on certain GMC and related SUVs. Have you ever had this issue before? We've tweaked the top brushes many times but still have the same problem. I'm thinking that delaying our first top brush like you did in the video could help prevent the same accidents, but was wondering if you had an opinion on the matter.

JimmyJaffa

Reaction score
We have 6 MacNeil top brushes, they are great! things to check, rotation = against direction (this will pick up wiper blades), ... brush weight in down position = 15 lbs ... and is your brush level and straight?