What's new

Too Cold and Closed

Etowah

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
24F here is a great day for the carwash if they're dirty and sun is out.

soapy

Reaction score
-15 f this morning and we got all the way up to 13 today. Feels like the bannana belt compared to some places in the US right now. To me it is not worth the risk anymore to keep the autos open when it is below 0 at night.

Red Baron

Reaction score
My SS are closed today too. I just don't see the risk/reward ratio being very good. The 3 or 4 customers who might have washed in this 20 degree temp will surely understand why we aren't open, especially given that the average high this time of year is in the 50s.

If I were an enterprising crook, I would look for a car wash that is open today, slip on the ice and wait for the cha ching noise. I just can't see risking that, or worse a legitimate injury, for 20 or 30 bucks.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
you guys should get an airline ticket, to my city and we'll show you how to survive and show you customers washing cars at -15. Our coldest temp Jan 2, was -33 and we did close for part of the day. I don't even have to turn the floor heat on until it gets about 20 outside as the people washing keep the wash warm enough. we probably won't see an above freezing temp in January, and only a couple days in December, were above freezing. We survive some of the most grueling winters in the US, as this is our normal. Watching expenses in this tight economy is really important to us, and customer service is also very important as i can only charge $1.75 , due to competition. If it got to 20 outside we would have lines waiting to wash. What a different baseline for weather we all have. Anyone want to trade washes?? I really like the warmer climates.
I agree with Whale of a Wash. I would like to add "you really haven't breathed really extra brisk fresh air" until you have been out in the country here in North Dakota, parts of Montana, parts of Minnesota, parts of Canada & Alaska during the winter until you have actually experienced it. No --- our coal plants are not that bad air quality wise here in western North Dakota. Some cars really should have overhauls & tune ups though! Word of caution: On a more serious note, a stranded traveler could easily face death in a very short period of time. 35 below zero Fahrenheit actual temp ---50 below zero Fahrenheit below forecasted tonight & tomorrow morning for Bismarck & I am sure Fargo is or will be similar.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I agree with Whale of a Wash. I would like to add "you really haven't breathed really extra brisk fresh air" until you have been out in the country here in North Dakota, parts of Montana, parts of Minnesota, parts of Canada & Alaska during the winter until you have actually experienced it. No --- our coal plants are not that bad air quality wise here in western North Dakota. Some cars really should have overhauls & tune ups though! Word of caution: On a more serious note, a stranded traveler could easily face death in a very short period of time. 35 below zero Fahrenheit actual temp ---50 below zero Fahrenheit below forecasted tonight & tomorrow morning for Bismarck & I am sure Fargo is or will be similar.

Spent the night in the ditch during a blizzard in Kansas in a ragtop CJ5 back in the 80s...I've had all the snow and cold I care to experience. If I could find a car wash in Phoenix, I'd be out of here so fast the suction created by my exit would pull the vac hoses off their hangers.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
We reopened the autos yesterday but arrived to find all ss bays frozen between attic and wand. My son is getting good at thawing--plug in heat tapes in attic, take down booms and move with wand to equipment room . We knew weep was fine and tried to figure out what had happened. Last night my son found out they shut down city water from mid night to 6. After a call, the mayor promised to notify us when they shut down. Of course we lost needed revenue and had to thaw. The irony of this is we switched weep to city water (rather than our reclaim) that night to insure higher pressure and more flow.. Had we left alone we would not have frozen anything.

Ted