What's new

Tokens

audiosnow46

Reaction score
We have been having alot of problems with people using fake tokens. Also with the previous owner giving out free tokens to everyone. So we are looking at switching tokens all together. We have tried to turn up the sensitivity to help with the fake tokens which helped a bit but not enough. I Guess my question is where the best place to order tokens. I found http://www.tokensdirect.com/new_to_tokens.htm; it looks pretty good has anyone used them? Or any other suggestions?

seattleguy

Reaction score
I bought mine from an outfit called vanbrooktokens.com . They seem to work well with Slugbuster 2 acceptors. I tested a lot of competitor's coins and they reject wel. I had to fiddle with the sensitivity settings, but not really a big deal. Dottie, at Van Brook, was very nice to order from.

MEP001

Reaction score
audiosnow46 said:
We have been having alot of problems with people using fake tokens.
What exactly are "fake tokens"? There are many people out there using tokens with a similar metal content. Are you getting something that's not a token at all, or are you getting someone else's token?

audiosnow46 said:
So we are looking at switching tokens all together. We have tried to turn up the sensitivity to help with the fake tokens which helped a bit but not enough.
Your only safe bet is to switch to a token that's unique to your area, or to a coded token. The latter option will require you to change all your coin acceptors.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Tokens Direct is the company that now owns Van Brook. Ditto on the Dottie comment. She's been there forever and knows her stuff. Be sure to buy a high security version or you will end up back in the same boat you're in now.

Reaction score
so you want to switch tokens because the previous owner gave out tons of free tokens, but how will you know if a customer wants to trade in his old tokens of if you are just trading out the tokens that were given out for free for your new tokens?? i dont get that part but i do get that you want to have your own unique token so you stop loosing money tho. To be safe go with high security tokens, well worth the money if going the token route...

mjc3333

Reaction score
Had the same problem in my SS washes. Over 10 years I've accumulated over 10,000 "bad" tokens. My tokens were 80/20. Most others were 70/30's, some 85/15's. Switched to Van Brook's Bi-metal token 5 years ago. I now get maybe 10 or 12 "bad" tokens all year, where before I was getting 10-15 "bad" tokens EVERYDAY! I had tons of "good" tokens (80/20's) that people still exchange to this day. It's a real pain to do, but has saved me a lot of hassle and money lost for free time over the years.

audiosnow46

Reaction score
Thanks! And what i meant by fake tokens are just other carwash tokens that work in our machines. And also about the previous owner giving out free tokens, we will just have to give the customers like 90 days to use them. then void them all together. It kind of has me stuck between a rock and a hard place but everyone that new this guy has free tokens. His old partner runs threw everyday too usuing the tokens, and then i will also have customers saying "Paul" (previous owner) gave me a bunch of these to use.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I would put up a big sign saying "Under New Management" New tokens this "date", all old tokens will not work or be exchanged.

Too late now, but you should have put a thing in the contract that he had to pay for all tokens that were used. that was a liability that he had, that you bought and didn't know about.

Randy

Reaction score
I don’t think that you’re obligated to accept tokens that the previous owner gave away or dispensed. Do you dispense Tokens now? If not I’d turn off the token acceptance on the coin acceptors. And order new a secure token, one that no one in your area is using. Do your homework before ordering tokens. You want to make sure that no one in your area is using your token. A good quality token isn’t going to be cheap. Be prepared to spend at least .25 to 30 cents, maybe a little more per Token. Don’t value your token at Quarter, if your Tokens are costing you .25 cents or more value them at a Dollar. The nice part about Tokens is the shrinkage or lost rate. We lose about 8-10,000 tokens a year. I’d call Dottie, she’s a great person to deal with.

audiosnow46

Reaction score
That would have been written in the contract but former owner was technically renting to own from my dad. And he just skipped out on the payments and left town. So he just screwed us more.. But I will do some homework on the tokens thanks!

Randy

Reaction score
Are you dispensing tokens now? I'd pull the plug on tokens until I got it under control.

MEP001

Reaction score
audiosnow46 said:
That would have been written in the contract but former owner was technically renting to own from my dad. And he just skipped out on the payments and left town. So he just screwed us more.. But I will do some homework on the tokens thanks!
And his partner is still coming by and using the wash with the tokens? I wouldn't hesitate to stop taking them altogether.

What kind of coin acceptors do you have?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO, if you just cut off the customers, they don't know or care about your issues. You could lose more than you wanted to.

Put up a sign, it will take you a month or so to get set up with the new ones anyway.

audiosnow46

Reaction score
I have slugbuster 1 coin acceptors. And pitzerwm i thikn we are to start telling everyone by May 1st, we will no longer accept the old tokens. I agree we need to give them a heads up.

Randy

Reaction score
You never answered my question, Are you dispensing tokens from your Changer? I’m assuming that you are accepting these tokens in your ACW since this post is in the Automatic section. What is the value of your tokens? I wouldn’t wait until the First of May, I’d pull the plug on April 1st. Put a sign on the front of your equipment that accepts your tokens that says something like this: “Effective April 1st we will no longer accept tokens form the previous owner” "We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause".

You should come to the ICA convention to learn more.

audiosnow46

Reaction score
We sell them at the coffee shop at the carwash, which has been down a few months before we bought it. We just leased it out a week ago and the new lady coming in will be ready to go by the end of this month. The cost of the tokens are $6. And where is the ICA convention??

Randy

Reaction score
I'd turn off the token acceptance today. If the Coffee/Espresso shop has been closed for some time there should be that many tokens out. What kind of ACW are you using? If it's a Hamilton you can buy a blank coin slot so they can't get a token into the token coin slot. The ICA Convention is in Las Vegas on May 2nd – May 4th at the Sands Expo Hall

Etowah