What's new

Tokens

OntheBlvd

Reaction score
Hello, Could anyone tell me the Pros & Cons of tokens and were to buy reasonable and the type to buy. I have Laundry Mat near my wash that has no dollar bill changer therefore my changers have become the neighborhood changer we keeps me going to he bank to get quarters constantly. Should I just deal with it or consider tokens.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
There are a couple of reasons to go to tokens. One must do and that is to go to tokens in all of your equipment. I also suggest that you also take quarters, and the gold dollar. The main reason that I went was the vandalism, it came to a total stop. I also had 2% a week walk off, (tokens that never came back) I gave $6 for $5, $12.50 for a $10. This was 10 years ago. I had vertically no complaints and the ones that said something, I just explained the vandalism and they agreed. I dispensed only token but took everything. Some people mix quarters, but I didn't.

brett

Reaction score
Well since Roger Williams Mint went belly up and Osborne purchased Van Brook the price of tokens has soared. There are two mints that I know of: Osborne and the Hoffman mint. I am happy I went to tokens since it has eliminated vandalism and buglaries. When I switched to tokens in 2003 I was paying $80 per thousand, now I am paying $260 per thousand. That steep price increase has been painful.

Brett

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
I went to tokens about 2 years ago for mainly the same reason you are talking about, always out of change. If you do this, I would suggest $1.00 tokens to get your customers thinking about dollar increments in pricing. You can also buy a better token if you vend it for a buck. You should still accept quarters.
It was fairly expensive for me to convert all of my equipment to accept tokens.
The most expensive thing for me was buying a Mega vendor and cage. You should convert everything to accept the tokens.
Although I have seen some decrease in vandalism, it did not eliminate attempts by stupid people.
I've had about 2,000 tokens walk off in the last 2 years.
The big advantage I've seen is being able to have promotions during the slow months. I can give away time without permanently lowering my prices.
There is a very thorough article in the fall 2004 issue of the Self Service Car Wash News. Reprints should be available. I think there is a link from this site, if not call 616-949-5618. It would be worth your time to get this article before you start.

Good luck:
Keith

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
search the old forum archives too, this topic has been discussed quite a bit. (I cant believe nobody else said that!)

MEP001

Reaction score
Start by putting up a sign that reads "This changer dispenses a mix tokens and quarters. Tokens are good at this car wash only and are non-refundable." That alone should solve your problems, even if there are no tokens in it. If they eventually learn and start using the changer again, then either mix in some tokens or go to tokens only.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My wash is fairly new and I started 'from the get' as tokens only in SS bays and vacs. $1 each. MY IBA also accepts tokens as well as cash and credit cards.

I plan to upgrade to CC acceptance in my SS bays soon as I'm able.

I do not regret one bit being tokens only in SS and vacs. I know others feel very strongly about accepting any and all forms of payment for everything. That's fine and they are entitled to their opinion. But a lack of vandalism is a money saver and keeps you running. A lack of bingo players using my changer for quarters keeps me from running to the bank constantly (and for zero income from these folks!). And, on a final note, you can buy a dollar token for far less than a buck and I've yet to find anywhere that offers a roll of quarters for under $10.

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman hit upon some of the advantages to tokens. Another is that when a token "walks off," you've made money since a token costs less than a quarter (or a dollar). I know a few people who mix tokens into their changer, and they make an extra $1,000-2,000 a year from token loss.

The only "cons" to token acceptance is the cost of equipment upgrades to take them, and the time of educating customers to their use if you go all-tokens.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
MEP1,

I alluded to the walkoff benefits at the end, where I talk about cost to buy a quarter vs. cost of a $1 token.

Also, the problems of retrofitting stuff to use tokens as well as training customers is not as bad when you are a new wash. Just order the equipment the way you want it set up. And take time giving away tokens and explaining their use. A great way to promote a new car wash. Better than walking around town handing out quarters!:D

Red Baron

Reaction score
I use a 50/50 mix of tokkens and have since I opened 3 years ago. I've been considering eliminating them. It takes extra time to sort them before I make a deposit, and it annoys some of my customers to put a $20 in the ACW, select a $5 wash and get $7.50 back in tokens, especially if they're just passing through. Yeah I know I could use quarters only in the ACW, but that's one more task added.

I'm just not certain it' worth the hassle to me, and some of my customers are dumb enough that I think they'd still break in to a changer if they knew 1/2 the take would be tokens.

LisaLyons

Reaction score
I've been all tokens for years, security being the main reason, however if security isn't an issue with your wash you might consider dispensing $1 coins. Check with the laundry to make sure they don't take those - that way you are still dispensing "real" money and solving the issue of people coming to your place for quarters.

MEP001

Reaction score
Generally vacs and safes, since the changer will end up having bills in it, but it does deter breakins all around.

LisaLyons

Reaction score
It's stopped breakin attempts in the vacs/bay vaults but the main reason I went to all tokens is 5 Rowe acceptors being salted in one week plus a year of occasional crow bars to the changers. Add that repair up and it's a no brainer.

MEP001

Reaction score
They salt it thinking they'll short it out and make it pay, like salting older coke machines would make them vend, but all it does is ruin the validator.

Dubois Laundry/Carwash

2 bay SS (and laundromat)
Reaction score
if security isn't an issue with your wash you might consider dispensing $1 coins. Check with the laundry to make sure they don't take those
If the laundry is so cheapsake / poorly managed that they don't keep a change machine in working order, it is very unlikely they accept dollar coins.

Unlike the competitive price and variety of interchangeable or easily adaptable quarter/dollar/token validators for carwashes, the laundry industry is pretty bleak.

ie carwash: among microcoin, securecoin, multi-tron, imonex(electronic), slugbuster(2or3) etc at least one of them will probably fit your meterbox and activate your equipment for under $100-$250 / bay.

laundry: Set-o-matic only fits and starts a small subset of the washer and dryer makes and models for $200 each at the low end or factory only $200-400 if available at all. For a lot less than the price to retrofit even a rediculously tiny laundromat (a dozen machines), they could get a brand new change machine.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Made the decision today to phase out tokens. It was time to order more or phase them out. I intend to stop mixing them into the quarters and figure over 3 months or so just about all will be out of circulation, if the rate at which they walk off is any indication anyway.