What's new

Token Questions

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
We are finally going to order tokens for the first time. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out the relationship and reasoning behind all the different names that Osborne Mint has. (also Osborne Coinage, Tokens Direct and Van Brook of Lexington) Also does Osborne make tokens for Hoffman Mint? I saw a video on the Tokens Direct YouTube channel that featured a guy from American Changers so wouldn't that be a competitor? When talking to the national sales guy from Tokens Direct (Ted) he said a few interesting things. One thing was that I told him that we were interested in a CT token (controlled area w/75 mile radius guarantee) he said that we would need to talk to another department but it was probably unnecessary to go with a CT. He offered a less expensive (by about 10 cents) unique metal that rarely anyone uses but it of course did not have the 75 mile guarantee. Maybe he has a map and knows that nobody buys that metal/size around us? I bet there are 300 plus car washes within 75 miles of us. He sent samples of them of the size we want to use and they look and feel really nice. To me it looks like the only real difference is the guarantee but maybe you guys know something else that I don't know. I'm not going to tell you the token model/type on here because the public can see this. Rarely do I see car washes have tokens around here and can only think of one that is somewhat nearby. That reminds me to go there and buy some just to make sure they are something different. Maybe I should go to the nearest 25 car washes to verify they are not dispensing the same type of tokens we might buy. If you want to respond via a private message that would be fine. We do not want to make a mistake with purchasing our new currency.
I use the CT bi-metal tokens. They are valued at $1 and I believe now pay around .34-.36 a piece when considering shipping. I have around 5,000 a year disappear from my washes which is a nice little profit as well. All my coin acceptors are MicroCoun QL’s which play nicely with the CT tokens. I did have a few issues in the past with IDX acceptors but that was years ago. Because I use the CT, I never have any other vendors tokens in my coin boxes. It is IMO, the only way to go. Just make sure to value at $1 instead of .25 or you’ll lose a bit of money. Best benefit also with $1 tokens is getting the customer used to spending $1 at a time instead of putting in another quarter or two when the beeper goes off. You will see an increase in bay sales averages.

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
Yes. You can program in different tokens at different values. I’m sure other acceptors like IDX etc. does this as well, I just prefer MicroCoin acceptors. I would call Kleen Rite and talk to customer service on what would work best for you. They’re always very helpful.

Islandwash

Reaction score
I have been using $1.00 Tokens and only dispensing Tokens from the Changers for over 15 years. The only way to go.

I originally used a larger Hi Security Token but prior to the Pandemic shifted over to a smaller Red Brass Token. No problems with it, less expensive and more convenient. All bays and Vacs take Dollar bills and Tokens & quarters. All bays & some vacs have credit card. Customers buy the Tokens by their choice. There are other payment methods. It does cost money to run a Bill changer and Token Sales help cover the cost. The only concern is to choose your token with care.

Etowah

Flex- Wand

Reaction score
Choosing the right token ? The ideal size token for sorting, from quarters, dollar coin i imagine is just important as metal or just size matters. 🤔🤔

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
I agree. I use slightly smaller than quarter tokens. They easily sort from quarters with my ScanCoin coin counters. We all know what a pain it is when a $1 coin stops the quarter counting process and having to remove the coin each time. Definitely choose a token smaller than a quarter.

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but how many of you have ever considered using European style tokens?

Specifically grooved tokens, With a slot That has matching pins to the token where only that Token can be inserted? For reference next to it is a standard American style token

MEP001

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but how many of you have ever considered using European style tokens?

Specifically grooved tokens, With a slot That has matching pins to the token where only that Token can be inserted? For reference next to it is a standard American style token
No, the coin acceptors for car washes don't work with those.