What's new

Token Questions

OurTown

Reaction score
We are finally going to order tokens for the first time. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out the relationship and reasoning behind all the different names that Osborne Mint has. (also Osborne Coinage, Tokens Direct and Van Brook of Lexington) Also does Osborne make tokens for Hoffman Mint? I saw a video on the Tokens Direct YouTube channel that featured a guy from American Changers so wouldn't that be a competitor? When talking to the national sales guy from Tokens Direct (Ted) he said a few interesting things. One thing was that I told him that we were interested in a CT token (controlled area w/75 mile radius guarantee) he said that we would need to talk to another department but it was probably unnecessary to go with a CT. He offered a less expensive (by about 10 cents) unique metal that rarely anyone uses but it of course did not have the 75 mile guarantee. Maybe he has a map and knows that nobody buys that metal/size around us? I bet there are 300 plus car washes within 75 miles of us. He sent samples of them of the size we want to use and they look and feel really nice. To me it looks like the only real difference is the guarantee but maybe you guys know something else that I don't know. I'm not going to tell you the token model/type on here because the public can see this. Rarely do I see car washes have tokens around here and can only think of one that is somewhat nearby. That reminds me to go there and buy some just to make sure they are something different. Maybe I should go to the nearest 25 car washes to verify they are not dispensing the same type of tokens we might buy. If you want to respond via a private message that would be fine. We do not want to make a mistake with purchasing our new currency.

Reactions: sjb

OurTown

Reaction score
Oh, also trying to figure out how many to order at first. 5,000 is the minimum for custom and thinking of ordering just that amount and see how it goes. He said a 5 week lead time but would be a few weeks shorter next time.

MEP001

Reaction score
How do you plan to use the tokens? I just dump some into the changer mixed with the quarters to prevent abuse and keep me from going to the bank twice a week to get more quarters. I'm using the standard 85/15 token and rarely find anyone else's tokens.

OurTown

Reaction score
How do you plan to use the tokens? I just dump some into the changer mixed with the quarters to prevent abuse and keep me from going to the bank twice a week to get more quarters. I'm using the standard 85/15 token and rarely find anyone else's tokens.

We are dispensing quarters only now and for some reason for the first time since owning the wash (5 1/2 years) we are bleeding quarters like crazy. We want to dispense $1 tokens only out of the changer but also accept quarters in bays and vacs.

OurTown

Reaction score
Also to accept them in an MEI 7512 changer (or at least those types) it looks like they would need to be smaller than a dollar coin which is 1.043". Is this correct? Are there vending machine changers that accept larger coins?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score

Keno

Reaction score
We tried dispensing dollar tokens only and accepting tokens and quarters recently. Lots of pushback from customers, and more importantly, saw a dip in business. Went back to dispensing tokens and quarters and biz is slowly coming back. Most customers like the convenience of depositing less coins, but a lot don't want to be stuck with tokens, and would rather not wash and go to another wash. Don't believe all the marketing from the token manufacturers. I do believe tokens have a place, but after my recent experience, would only dispense tokens if the change machine can dispense both quarters and $1 tokens, or there are multiple change machines close to each other on site.

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
Oh, also trying to figure out how many to order at first. 5,000 is the minimum for custom and thinking of ordering just that amount and see how it goes. He said a 5 week lead time but would be a few weeks shorter next time.
We use high security tokens with the protected radius. Just because somebody nearby isn't dispensing those that people "rarely purchase" today doesn't mean they wont tomorrow.

I would definitely look at any businesses nearby that use tokens, get some and make sure your acceptors reject those.

We have been dispensing $1 tokens and accepting customer supplied quarters since 2007. I see other operators panic when they get just a little bit of pushback. Yes when we made the conversion there was push back as well, People in general don't like change and just simply like to complain (you have to give them time to get used to it, THEY WILL). I dont like when Lowes or Home Depot starts moving stuff around but i get used to it.

I know for a fact that around me let them go to another wash where they get quarters, they will come back to use my tokens because my stuff actually works and wont take their money. Even 15 years later i still have the occasional odd ball that likes to say something about it. I don't get into a long winded conversation about it, but do explain(sell) that they save them time by not having to deposit as many quarters and can focus on washing, they reduce the amount of cash on site to help prevent theft which means broken/not working equipment, they reduce people draining your changers for quarters in laundry mats, bingo/poker nights, etc. so that your customers can actually get change for your businesses services.

As far as amount of tokens to order that would be up to you. I order 25000 at a time, reordering when i have approximately 5000 left (20,000 in walkoffs), I have historically had to reorder about every 5-6 years. Since Adding CC readers to the entire site 2 years ago i have noticed the walkoffs decrease and am currently projecting my 25000 to last between 7 and 8 years.

OurTown

Reaction score
We tried dispensing dollar tokens only and accepting tokens and quarters recently. Lots of pushback from customers, and more importantly, saw a dip in business. Went back to dispensing tokens and quarters and biz is slowly coming back. Most customers like the convenience of depositing less coins, but a lot don't want to be stuck with tokens, and would rather not wash and go to another wash. Don't believe all the marketing from the token manufacturers. I do believe tokens have a place, but after my recent experience, would only dispense tokens if the change machine can dispense both quarters and $1 tokens, or there are multiple change machines close to each other on site.

How long did you try it before switching back to dispensing quarters?

jack954

Reaction score
i changed to only dispensing $1 high security (1.073”) tokens last december. i always said i would never do tokens, but now wish i would have years ago. i can’t think of any negatives! very few will cry about what kind of coin is going from your change machine into your equipment if they like your business. 3 people in one year. i told them they are welcome to bring their own quarters.

Keno

Reaction score

I know for a fact that around me let them go to another wash where they get quarters, they will come back to use my tokens because my stuff actually works and wont take their money...
For us the competitor runs a nice wash and dispenses tokens and quarters, so we have found we have to be similar.

Our changer at that location dispenses from 2 hoppers, so every customer gets tokens, but the bigger bills get tokens and quarters. The other side of the changer dispenses tokens only at a bonus rate on higher bills

washnvac

Reaction score
Many threads on this if you search. I would 110% recommend the CT tokens only valued at $1. Change everything to tokens; bays, vacs, vending, even auto cashiers. You are not a public change service. Make the switch and don't look back. I have used the stock CTs for 12 years with Slugbuster II units.

I replenish about $15k worth of tokens yearly between 3 washes. (that is about a $11k profit, by the way)

sjb

Reaction score
Yes, we would highly recommend the upgrade to only dispensing your high security $1 tokens.

And accept the customers quarters and dollar coins, and my new found love of CC’s.

Depending on your vending machine options, you will probably loose a little revenue as our old single column machines only accept quarters. My new 3 column electronic vend does accept the tokens as well as quarters.

We ordered 25k tokens 1.5 years ago and have another order in the system… 20,000 of them are now floating around somewhere in the ether… paid 40 cents each, and sell them for $1.

We also encourage up selling from the bill changers. $1 = 1 token, $5 = 5 tokens, $10 = 11 tokens, $20 = 23 tokens.

Make the conversion, for security, convenience, and your bottom line. When you get pushback, blame it on the banks that could not provide you with the quarters needed to operate.

We dumped over 1200 lbs of surplus quarters that customers brought us this year!

Best of luck on your transition!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't agree with custom tokens advertising the business. Once I sold that token, I never wanted to see it again. The person that bought it knows where they got it, so I don't need to advertise to them. For the parent of Billy that went off to college and finds it in a junk drawer, couch cushion, under car seat, or wherever...I don't want them to know where to spend it. Just my 2¢...or maybe token's worth.

sjb

Reaction score
For us, it is easy to rationalize the additional investment as marketing and brand building…

Kirkwood Car Wash & Dog Wash Atlanta
Estb. 1997

And that is why there is horse racing!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't agree with custom tokens advertising the business. Once I sold that token, I never wanted to see it again. The person that bought it knows where they got it, so I don't need to advertise to them. For the parent of Billy that went off to college and finds it in a junk drawer, couch cushion, under car seat, or wherever...I don't want them to know where to spend it. Just my 2¢...or maybe token's worth.
I guess that's one way to look at it. For me, I see a person spending a free token as an opportunity to sell them more of everything; tokens, may be a deluxe automatic wash, something from the vending machine like a soda, a detail job or even a used car. The token they found with my name on it just gets them on the lot. that's a pearl of wisdom from the Whale of a Wash playbook. No charge.

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score