What's new

to splice or not to splice?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
should i splice a repair into my hp hose for a spare?

it goes thru a cable management system track and where it blows out is at the bend point.

forsee any trouble using a splice/repaired hose?

thanks in advance.:)

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have my own hose crimper. As far as saving money by making my own hoses, probably nothing huge. The real saving comes when I salvage hoses. Just the other day I needed a 1/2" hose 18' long. I found one that I had saved from another project and was damaged at the end. I crimped on a new end and saved probably $75. Heck yeah, fix that thing. That car wash don't know whether the water is coming through a new hose or used.

soapy

Reaction score
It is best if can move the hose so that the splice is not close to the bend point where it failed. If it is close to the bend point it will fail even quicker with a splice in the area. If you are talking about a 1 inch or larger HP hose it can be very difficult to get a hose type clamp splice to hold.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
thanks! It's a 3/4" HP line. I was asking cause the hose shop I use said they could repair it with the machine that crimps I assume. I was thinking that too Soapy; move the splice a bit so it's further from the bend.

mac

Reaction score
Do not put a splice on a hose that bends all the time. It will fail quickly.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I was assuming it only bent in the one spot. If I have an 18' hose that gets a lot of movement right at the end I see no issue with cutting it back a few feet and adding a new piece on the end, or flip-flopping it so the other end is now the "bendy" one.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
asked my distributor too.

his concern was there could be another weak spot ready to blow.

he replaced his 3/4" w/5/8", which was less expensive i guess.

i like the idea of repairing the busted one and putting the splice down at the end where it doesn't bend.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
There are a several ways you can look at this.

If Mac repairs a hose on a customer's automatic and it pops two weeks later, the customer may want him to fix it free. Of course, that customer will be the farthest one from the shop. Mac should always put on a new hose.

If you will have to pay a repairman to replace a hose when it bursts, you should always go new so you won't have to do it as often.

If you will be the repairman, most of the time a repaired hose is fine. I'm not saying to use a 20 year old hose with cracks all up and down it's length, but if it's a nice hose other than a place where it was damaged or bends a lot, I say use it up.

Disclaimer - If it's going to be a long hard job to replace it or I have to contort my body like a circus freak, I put on a new hose. Just use some common sense.

Randy

Reaction score
When I was a young man, just a couple of years ago. I worked in a place that made up hoses, some with a pressure rating of over 15,000 psi. I've found in the car wash industry that most equipment manufactures and distributors use the cheapest crap hose they can buy that will meet the needs of the customer on that day, they don't think about longevity. How long is the hose? How much pressure is on the hose?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
What about trying to mitigate the bending with something? Randy has a point too, over spec that hose. Also what about a small section/piece of hose that has to deal with the bend and when it fails replace it with another short piece that is already made up.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The hose is 21' long, 3/4" HP w/3/4" non swivel NPT.

I got it down to about half an hour remove and replace. I think I will clean and inspect old hose and if it looks decent will have it repaired and flip flop it so the other end is at the bend.:)