What's new

To Dampen.....Or Not?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Finally getting around to changing out the Giant Regulators/Unloaders and install the Paraplates. The Question, To Dampen or Not? If I install the dampeners, I'll make another mounting block to go between the dampener and regulator....Currently don't have dampeners and don't get much (if any) vibration if pumps are in good shape. Is it better for the regulator?

MEP001

Reaction score
I usually use Synflex hose to the bays which gives a bit and keeps vibration down. It lasts a long time as long as it isn't allowed to vibrate and rub through. With that hose, you definitely don't need pulse dampeners.

In a pinch I recently had to use steel braided hose to a bay, and it's really noisy. The whole car wash hums. A pulse dampener would stop the noise, but adding one would cost 50% more than the difference between the Synflex hose and the steel-braided.

Rudy

Reaction score
Original build had Cat dampeners. When they died...I tried Giant. The bladders would last about 6 months. I replaced them with Hypro dampeners...and they work well. Rebuild bladders are reasonably priced. I also have 24" Hypro pulse hosed Tee'd in also (as overkill). Needless to say...things run smooth. If you go with the pulse hoses....route them vertically UPWARDS.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
2Biz,

If you haven't already thoroughly tested this ... you should try a 12"-18" pulse hose. We get ours from a Farm & Home Supply store down the street from us. Not sure of the brand ... nothing special ... just ordinary 4000 psi hydraulic hose with 3/8" NPT fittings available in 6" incremented lengths. It could save you a lot of unnecessary expense. I have very distant bad memories of the ongoing maintenance cost of a variety of dampers for our pumps.

MEP001

Reaction score
2Biz,

If you haven't already thoroughly tested this ... you should try a 12"-18" pulse hose. We get ours from a Farm & Home Supply store down the street from us. Not sure of the brand ... nothing special ... just ordinary 4000 psi hydraulic hose with 3/8" NPT fittings available in 6" incremented lengths. It could save you a lot of unnecessary expense. I have very distant bad memories of the ongoing maintenance cost of a variety of dampers for our pumps.
Is this hose you mention a nylon braid designed to absorb vibration of the pump? From what you describe you've just put a useless piece of hose on your pumps as you describe it as "nothing special."

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
So the following is "nylon braided hose"? https://www.dultmeier.com/products/search/1016

It does say to be used "with a damper" & does have a 3 GPM @ 1500 PSI limitation.

I am all for ... clarification as to what extent this specific linked hose could possibly provide. Based on what Mep001 says it appears that "nylon braid" is a key factor. I wish there was some kind of a "pulse o meter" to measure ... maybe just listening to the pumps with or without pulse hose is a way??? I will admit my 7 Cat 310s are possibly noisier than necessary. The extra pulsing could be causing a bit more maintenance for us .... I think that potential extra pump servicing is what 2Biz is trying avoid .... & is the reason for his seeking of the best dampening for his specific setup.

I am thinking some are possibly seeing a gain with both the damper & the pulse hose??? The bigger pumps used in some car wash systems possibly is very relevant also???

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I bought the place with the "Pulse hose" and still use them.

Rudy

Reaction score
Per my earlier comment about the pulse hose being installed VERTICALLY UPWARDS......remember that water compresses very little...and air compresses quite a bit. I think a lot of the dampening effect comes from having an "air chamber" at the top of the pulse hose.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I still have one of the original "Giant" Accumulator/Dampeners still in operation on the old Mark VII stand. About 30+ years old! The others started leaking and swapped them out with a 24" length of HP hose. I really can't tell any difference. If you look at the old setup, the accumulators were located under the frame at the base of the tee connecting the unloader to the HP hose out to the bay.

Which leads me to this question....What is the best location of the dampener? Between the pump and regulator as shown in the first picture? Or between the regulator and HP hose out to the bay the way my old setup was? Looks to me the best location is ahead of the regulator to minimize pulsations ahead of the regulator. Or does it make any difference?

Rudy

Reaction score
My gut says that the location probably doesn't matter......but my gut has been wrong many times before!

This same "gut" says that a 30 year old accumulator isn't doing ANYTHING...even if it's not leaking. The bladder is certainly shot after that much time???

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
It seems like we even had some dampers that needed to be kept charged with Nitrogen. Anybody else have a similar flashback?

MEP001

Reaction score
It does say to be used "with a damper"
Someone probably meant that it's meant to be used in place of a dampener, as the purpose of the hose is to dampen pulsations.

MEP001

Reaction score
Per my earlier comment about the pulse hose being installed VERTICALLY UPWARDS......remember that water compresses very little...and air compresses quite a bit. I think a lot of the dampening effect comes from having an "air chamber" at the top of the pulse hose.
I did a test years ago by removing a failed pulse dampener and screwed a 6' piece of 3/8" iron pipe in its place, capped at the top. It worked great as a pulse dampener...for about a day. So I unscrewed it, and the pipe was full of water. Gases do dissolve into water, as it turns out pretty quickly under 1200 PSI.

MEP001

Reaction score
It seems like we even had some dampers that needed to be kept charged with Nitrogen. Anybody else have a similar flashback?
AFAIK they all need to be charged with nitrogen, usually at half the operating pressure of the pump.