What's new

Tire Shiner with water based product

iwashcars

Reaction score
Is anyone using a water based product with their automatic tire shiner? I am currently using Black Ice from Simoniz through the Simoniz machine. The results are horrible!!! I'm using reclaim water so an oil based product is not ideal going through the reclaim. I've only had the machine for 5 months and I'm ready to pull it out. Is anyone using a different water based product and getting good results. Or is anyone using an oil based product with a reclaim system and not having problems?
Another problem I notice with this machine is that the product does not seem to be distributed evenly. Most of the product comes out on the first 12 inches of the machine and then just oozes over the sponge. The remaining 7 feet of the sponge does not seem to get much product on it. Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Paul

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Based on your description, I suspect the unit was not installed properly or the unit was damaged somehow and now misaligned.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I think Sonny's is the same machine. Here is their maintenance video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOXaE9GIv74

As far as product goes I know some with the Durashimer are using the Viper product.

After watching the maintneance Video I am happy I have the Viper unit. - Much simpler.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Mostly likely there is a block in manifold and/or nozzles.

You have hinges. Open the cover, pull manifold out and try it.

Watch Sonny’s video. It shows you how to do this.

Video also mentioned upgrades are available to improve application.

iwashcars

Reaction score
Mostly likely there is a block in manifold and/or nozzles.

You have hinges. Open the cover, pull manifold out and try it.

Watch Sonny’s video. It shows you how to do this.

Video also mentioned upgrades are available to improve application.
Thanks again Rob, I opened up the machine this morning. I have the newest version of this machine which is slightly different than the one in the video. There is no pvc manifold just a very thin poly hose with small holes in it. The product is injected into either end of the machine. When I opened it up and override the pumps the product only comes out of the first two holes on either end of the hose. If I pump water through the pumps the water comes out of all the holes in the hose. Also when the hinged cover closes it kinks up one of the hoses slightly. Just not a very good design. But the fact that the water goes through the hose with no problem leads me to believe that the product is just too thick.
Paul

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
The product needs to be thick to work correctly. I would suggest using a Small drill bit to carefully open up the holes where no product is flowing. Start with the one closest to the ends and work your way to the middle until all the holes are flowing evenly. Then adjust the pressure on the pumping station until you are drawing about 1 ounce per cycle.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I was taught to solve problems involving fluid dynamics by first ensuring pump has proper displacement, fluid has correct viscosity and there are no kinks or leaks in tubing.

I can’t say poly hose with holes drilled in it is bad design to apply tire shine but it sure should cost less to build than PVC manifold and nozzles.

I guess this is what’s meant by lean manufacturing.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I was taught to solve problems involving fluid dynamics by first ensuring pump has proper displacement, fluid has correct viscosity and there are no kinks or leaks in tubing.

I can’t say poly hose with holes drilled in it is bad design to apply tire shine but it sure should cost less to build than PVC manifold and nozzles.

I guess this is what’s meant by lean manufacturing.
The pump that comes with this unit provides more than enough displacement. The viscosity of the fluid is a known factor to the manufacturer so I doubt that is his problem. I will agree with you that a PVC manifold might be a better option but we are not talking about a high tech piece of equipment here. The PVC manifolds on the original units were problematic too. Sonny's/Simonize has modified this machine many times since it's introduction a couple of years ago, most of them resulting in improved performance. I had one of these units and ended up removing it because I was never satisfied with the results it achieved. But for some operators it is a viable option due to the type of wash they operate(Express). I would suggest that the OP try my recommendation and report back with the results. Another suggestion would be to contact who ever he bought the unit from and get some assistance from them.

iwashcars

Reaction score
The pump that comes with this unit provides more than enough displacement. The viscosity of the fluid is a known factor to the manufacturer so I doubt that is his problem. I will agree with you that a PVC manifold might be a better option but we are not talking about a high tech piece of equipment here. The PVC manifolds on the original units were problematic too. Sonny's/Simonize has modified this machine many times since it's introduction a couple of years ago, most of them resulting in improved performance. I had one of these units and ended up removing it because I was never satisfied with the results it achieved. But for some operators it is a viable option due to the type of wash they operate(Express). I would suggest that the OP try my recommendation and report back with the results. Another suggestion would be to contact who ever he bought the unit from and get some assistance from them.
Thanks for the advice, the pump is definitely adequate enough to push the product. The water based dressing is much thicker than the oil based and it clogs the small holes in the poly tubing. I have been in contact with my Simoniz rep who I purchased it from but he doesn't have the answer. For the past two days I've been using an oil based product and the machine works great. But I cannot continue to use it for a long period of time. I am going to try drilling bigger holes in the poly and see if that works. I also plan on putting a tee from the pump and feeding the product from both sides of the poly hose instead of just one side. I will report back after I make these changes.
Thanks
Paul