What's new

Tire shine making cars dirty

tw1012

Reaction score
I am having a problem with the tire shine flinging up on the body of the cars after they leave. Any suggestions?

MEP001

Reaction score
How are you applying it?

tw1012

Reaction score
I'm using a gong brush that we spray with the tire shine.

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
two things you could try...one, apply it first, before drying the car, let it dry somewhat on the tires...two, keep seperate towels for wheels and tires, and wipe the tires after applying tire shine...are you using silicone or water base shine? and whats a gong brush?

Etowah

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Yeah, the better question is... How much are you putting on and how are you removing the excess?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
What product are you using? It took me a while to come up with one that didn't sling.

I use Zep Black Pearl.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There are several keys to prevent dressing sling. The tires should be as dry as possible so they should be wiped before applying the dressing. They don't have to be perfectly dry but there should not be water running off them after wiping. The applicator should not apply so much dressing that it is running off the tire. I don't think a gong brush is a good idea. A sponge applicator will do a good job if you make sure you are not applying too much.

You will probably get less sling if you are using a water based dressing instead of a solvent based one. If you are using a solvent based dressing the tires almost need to be perfectly dry before applying it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sometimes another issue with tire shine is that the tire is not properly cleaned prior to applying dressing.

Make sure you are applying any dressing to a clean, dry tire.

If a tire is not thoroughly cleaned, some left over dirt gets mixed with the tire shine product and is far more prone to slinging gross crud all over the lower panels of the vehicle.

tw1012

Reaction score
thanks for all the advice, I started using tire shine by Car Bright.

I am going to start drying the tire and then wiping it off after especially on the black cars.