What's new

Tire cleaner working by itself

David Rolf

Reaction score
This morning we pulled up to the wash and the tire cleaner was on and the chemical was pumping out of the gun. The panel was turned off. No one around but the system was on and the flowjet pumping fluid? Any ideas on where I should start troubleshooting? Never seen this problem before?

Thanks

Attachments

David Rolf

Reaction score
Thanks, yes just one bay. I thought the system had an air solenoid cut-off pictured above the regulator that cuts the air off when not in use?

MEP001

Reaction score
It looks like there is a solenoid to the entire air supply, but it's either also stuck open or it's been unhooked from power and had the plunger removed.

David Rolf

Reaction score
MEP, Can I ask what is the solenoid pictured in the lower right above the regulator? It has a 115V style male plug on it. What does that one do for incoming air? Thanks for the guidance...

MEP001

Reaction score
Tire tankc.jpg

It looks like the solenoid is before everything, including the air stack. The air for the pump comes off the tee, through the air regulator, then to the pump. If you follow the wire going to that solenoid, it's probably going to one of the control units that I can see at the very top of your picture. It wouldn't usually be before the air stack, but I'd guess someone either put it there just thinking they should, or to avoid having to replace bad air solenoids. It's not a bad thing at all, but as I said earlier it's either stuck open or unhooked with the plunger removed, otherwise as you suspected there would be no air pressure for the tire cleaner to run when not called for.

mac

Reaction score
MEP, Can I ask what is the solenoid pictured in the lower right above the regulator? It has a 115V style male plug on it. What does that one do for incoming air? Thanks for the guidance...
You don't have any air shutoff now, at least as far as I can tell. If that solenoid is 120 volt change it o 24 vac or you'll get tingled. The air shutoff should kill the air to all low pressure items.

MEP001

Reaction score
You don't have any air shutoff now, at least as far as I can tell. If that solenoid is 120 volt change it o 24 vac or you'll get tingled. The air shutoff should kill the air to all low pressure items.
Air shutoff.
Tire tanks.jpg

mac

Reaction score
That seems a poorly designed shutoff thing. Why not just shutoff all air? Simpler, cheaper, and no 120 vac.

MEP001

Reaction score
All air to the tire cleaner system is shut off when no bay is called for.

Nothing wrong with 120V if everything is wired properly.

mac

Reaction score
So guess there is no reason EVERY manufacturer switched to 24 vac over 20 years ago. Everyone but Mep taat is.

MEP001

Reaction score
Most manufacturers don't put air control solenoids on their systems at all.

I prefer 120V because you can usually just unplug it for service. There's one inline on the power to the solenoid in OP's photo. With the ones that use 24V, you have to find a fuse or breaker if there even is one, or disconnect power to the entire low pressure system.

David Rolf

Reaction score
Mep you were spot on. Just got home from a day at the wash. I tested the system out and that solenoid you pointed to cuts the air off. I found the KIP valve to be bad today. Parts are on order. With every car wash malfunction comes a new learning opportunity to learn how things work. I'm three years deep into this place and have almost mastered all the systems. I value this forum and send thanks out to the group.

MEP001

Reaction score
You do still have an issue with another solenoid to the bay that was running. The solenoid that's bad is only there to keep from wasting chemical if the others don't close properly.

David Rolf

Reaction score
You do still have an issue with another solenoid to the bay that was running. The solenoid that's bad is only there to keep from wasting chemical if the others don't close properly.
I'm gonna replace all of them just in case. I'll keep you posted on my progress. I'm learning as I do this stuff... Thank you......

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
With every car wash malfunction comes a new learning opportunity to learn how things work.
Never a truer word spoken. It seems like just about everything valuable I've learned about our wash has been from a breakdown, blockage or some other minor disaster. Glad to hear that you've got on top of this issue.

Acurarsx1

Reaction score
Hi how is everyone? I need a little help please. I have a water wizard 2.0 I just replaced all there gearboxes, wheels and bearings. I tried a test wash and the boom went down it the rear but when it came to the front didn't go down and said exit slowly on the scroll sign. I tried to figure out what was wrong for 2 days and wasn't able to figure out. In manual mode goes up but doesn't come down. And is throwing a Alarm 13 on Red lions. Please help me out.thank you

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
Did you ever get these problems fixed?