What's new

Time Perception Change

TurboJet

Reaction score
Going to be making some changes to the decals on my coin box faceplates.

I know there has been many posts about bucket, dry brush, cloth and sponge washers, along with people occupying time in bays drying and detailing their cars.

Right now with regards to equipment time I display on my faceplates "1 Token = 4:00 min."

I am thinking of making a subtle change, but really I'm hoping to accomplish a perception or mindset change. This is my plan:

"Equip./Bay Rental Time"
"1 Token = 4:00 Min."

I guess what I'm trying to do is inform my customers that when you are in my wash bays, you are renting time from me to be there. There should be money on the timer whether you are washing with equipment, bucket washing or detailing.

I am not sure if it will make any difference, but I am hoping when I have to tell someone to move along or not bucket wash, I can at least point to the signage and explain my reasoning or logic somewhat better.

As an industry I think we need to change mindsets of customers that equipment and bay time should be paid time.

Thoughts or comments? Has this been tried before?

chaz

Reaction score
How much is each token? I ask because charging more (I am $3 for 4 minutes) has sent many of my buffet washers elsewhere, and that's a good thing.

TurboJet

Reaction score
$2 per token. My nearest competitor is $2 for 3:45. I am contemplating dropping my time as well to 3:45 or even 3:30.

But I am not sure this will deter bucket washers. I don't have a lot of them, but I have noticed an uptick. I have a lot of high rises near me, they often bring a bucket and some even their own brush with a long handle. They just want to get the car wet, load up the bucket. Wash then later rinse off. Yes I do get $4 out of them, but it sets a precedent I think and I worry others will copy this practice.

I do have signage, "No bucket or hand washing during daylight hours". Most people respect it.

I'm trying to change mindsets going forward that bay time is rented. So when they give me the "so what" look and say "well I'm washing my car", I'll say yes, but you are really renting my bay and equipment by the minute.

chaz

Reaction score
I am at 3$ for 4 min, plus count up on CC. That means even the few bucket washers end out paying for two cycles for $6.

I quite frankly am ok with the folks spending time in the bay after the cycle as long as no one is waiting. Most customers follow this, others are reminded by those waiting or me Via my remote PA system.

My sticker near the coin/bill slot.....

"Please exit bay when timer stops and others are waiting, thank you"

TurboJet

Reaction score
Chaz, I think we are handling the bucket washers / detailers more or less the same other than our cycle charge.

I like that wording you use as well.

But back to the perception on time, as an industry do we think we can sell the concept that bay time is suppose to be paid time. Will customers accept this logic or not.

I know this is an age old problem for us. Because of industry practice or norm I don't bring my own food or booze to a restaurant and take up a booth. Our bays are our booths. I think the public equates self serves with cheap and anything goes.

Mindsets need to be altered.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
It is usually easier to change one business model than change the perception of thousands of individual customers.

For example, consider the trend in self-serve auto repair garage.

Here, a customer can rent a bay with a lift for say, $25 an hour, to do their own vehicle repair.

Customers can also rent specialized tools as well as rent a “help” mechanic to assist or rent a mechanic to check quality of the repair when finished.

Some will rent bay designed for oil change at special rate ($10), 30 minutes max.

This is an interesting business model and it may offer some potential for self-serve carwash if you read between the lines.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
It is usually easier to change one business model than change the perception of thousands of individual customers.

For example, consider the trend in self-serve auto repair garage.

Here, a customer can rent a bay with a lift for say, $25 an hour, to do their own vehicle repair.

Customers can also rent specialized tools as well as rent a “help” mechanic to assist or rent a mechanic to check quality of the repair when finished.

Some will rent bay designed for oil change at special rate ($10), 30 minutes max.

This is an interesting business model and it may offer some potential for self-serve carwash if you read between the lines.
Robert,

Honestly & locals can verify what I am saying, you described a 14 stall facility that also included self service car washing that was built here in Bismarck back in 1982. There were a bunch of investors & they ran it for a couple of years ... it was sold (actually repossessed by the SBA) & changed over to another business. Since their tally amounts averaged more than most of our self serves .... credit cards actually were a better fit for them than us ... finding our humble little niche with just self serve bays, laundromat & dog wash. They did significantly affect the volume of business for all the other self serve bays in our area while it was operational.

I do know some are very successful as one of our fellow Forum members "JeffM from Winnipeg" can possibly attest to.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“….you described a 14 stall facility that also included self service car washing that was built here in Bismarck back in 1982.”

Yes, 1982, “thirty-two” years ago. Things have changed considerably.

Thirty years ago it may have cost $20 to change the oil in my motorcycle.

A couple of years ago while on vacation, I had to pay a Harley dealership $90 for an oil change.

Self-serve garage is spreading not declining.