What's new

"There is green fluid coming out under your door" 2nd time

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
OK twice I have been called to one of my washes with a dreaded "there is green fluid running out under your door". First reason for this call is this particular wash never had a floor drain in the equipment room.... However in both cases I arrived to find my tire cleaner tank overflowing with plenty of slack in the float chain. I installed a brand new low pressure/tank system from Etowah Valley that uses Dema 440 series float valves rather than the hydrominders my first wash has. In both cases just touching the wire the chain pulls down and it pops up and the water flow stops. I have tried to get it to stick 100s of times but cannot recreate the problem, the valve always shuts off with a snap once the float raises. I had considered city water pressure may be too high (just over 150psi according to a cheap gage on the strainer I installed feeding this tank system. I could see how water pressure might overpower the plunger and keep flowing into the tank, but I cant see how it would keep the spring from pulling the wire bale up once the chain was slack and the chain is very slack when this is happening. Am I missing something? I have ordered a new Dema valve to replace this one just because I just tapped a new 7 gallon jug of tire cleaner and I don't want it flowing out under my door...

CarWashBoy

Reaction score
I would shorten the chain.. when it says give me water, the turbulence is probably causing the problem.. I have had the same issue..

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd replace it with a Hydrominder. I don't have a lot of experience with the Dema versions, but it's mostly been like yours, the most common problem is that they don't shut off. That's a problem I almost never have with Hydrominders, and it's usually such a slow overfill that it doesn't draw chemical, it just flushes the tank onto the floor.

I'm certain it's not a water pressure issue. The Dema 440 is basically a solenoid that's controlled by a magnet instead of an electric coil. Too much pressure on the inlet will keep it from opening, but it wouldn't keep it from closing.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
I'd replace it with a Hydrominder.

Agree 100%. Only times I've seen an issue with a hydrominder not shutting off is, 1) someone removed the incoming strainer and trash got inside valve and 2) Customer tried changing valve kit and cut a groove in the valve body with the brass stem.

DavidM

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with the Dema valve. Lateral pressure on the wire that connects the chain to the valve will make it stick open. Shortening the chain can help. Also, make sure nothing in the tank is pushing the float to the side.
I am starting to switch back to Hydrominders. My experiences have been the same as MEP and Fatboy 769

David

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I don’t know why Jim @ etowah put those stupid Demas on some of them if you don’t specify a hydrominder. I have replaced one with hydrominder myself due to the dilution ratio is such a gap in between tip sizes alone. I would definitely install a PRV valve on the main line and adjust to 60psi to your chemical tanks will make the chemical way more consistent also at such high water pressure.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
Thanks all. I too have noticed big jumps in tip choice. guess I will switch at least this one to a new hydrominder. When it does it the chain is slack the float is up into the top of the tank and fluid running over the top. I cant make it stick no matter side pressure, how slow I let the chain up. but twice it has done in in the last 60 days.

MEP001

Reaction score
When you get the Hydrominder, remove the metal clip between the float/weight and the chain. I run the chain through the ring on the float/weight and loop it through the ring on the chain. The clip is chrome plated steel and it will rust away and let the float/weight fall off.