What's new

There are no guarantees

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got a little freaked out by an obituary I happened across today. I was reading a newspaper I never look at and saw an obituary that caught my eye. It was an old customer of mine, a man I had known for years.

He was a business owner and a good man who had lots of advice and lessons to teach. He was my brother in law's boss for a few years in a mold making business.

He died unexpectedly after sailing on Saturday. He was younger than my Dad is now. I know we cannot live forever, but reading his obit. gave me pause and made me appreciate life and what I have.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I have lost a few friends at early ages, even a couple in high school. It is a problem we cannot escape. I sometimes have problems with that fact and the thought of ones parents, and our children also dying. Definately a case for making the most of ones life, and doing the most, and enjoying it the most. Everyday should be lived to the fullest.

But in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.
Benjamin Franklin, Letter to Jean Baptiste Le Roy (1789)

Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that's the stuff life is made of.
Benjamin Franklin, 'Poor Richard's Almanack,' June 1746

mac

Reaction score
No one gets outta here alive.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Johnny, that is what the guy was saying when he jumped off the building trying to fly.

Most of us don't have the paperwork in place in the event there is a problem. I can tell you that being half dead is worse business wise. If you don't have people set up with the proper legal stuff, you might wake up to a pile of ashes.

mac

Reaction score
George Burns, who lived to be 101 and had three martinis and 10 cigars every day, when asked the secret to a long life, replied, "Keep breathing."

Reds

Reaction score
I will try to keep this life lesson of mine short. 16 years ago I had cancer in my nasal cavity. Radiation treatments and we killed the bastard. I enjoyed life to the fullest and have raised 3 wonderfull sons. Kept my paperwork in order (will, biz, etc). I am now semi retired at age 60 and financially comfortable. Sounds great doesn't it? BUT - on my 60th birthday I was diagnosed with a high grade sarcoma (cancer) in my nasal cavity again. It has grown all the way back into my brain cavity. After 15 years out of treatments I thought I was out of the woods. I started Chemo on Monday (7/12) and if we can shrink this SOB they will then operate. 12 - 16 hours in the O.R. I will lose my right eye and maybe my hearing. Scares the $hit out of me. This has brought life back into focus and reminded me of how precious every day is. Live life to the fullest. Be thanfull for what you have. Treat people well. If something like this hits you it makes you rethink your life - all you've done right and all you've done wrong. Now is the time to do what's right. If I survive this I am going to find a way to help other people who are in need. Not too lazy to help themselves, but genuinely in need. Do something now that will make you feel good when life's sunset is in sight.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Good luck Reds. I just lost my oldest brother to cancer last week. He fought it for many years but finally lost the battle. I talked to him about a week before he died. He said that the time he spent between the time he first found out about the cancer (almost 15 years) was probably the best time of his life since he lived life to its fullest - traveling and experiencing some things he never would have done. It really wasn't until the very end that the pain and suffering became unbearable. In the end he felt a certain amount of pride in what he had experienced and how he dealt with it.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Reds,
In our state of Minnesota is the Mayo clinic, Some of the best in the world.
If you have any doubts, please contact them. Wishing you the best!!
John