What's new

Theft of meter box doors, and looking for advise how to secure them better.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the replies. I have all my locations retrofitted with the angle iron across the top with locks, but not before he hit one more of my washes. I know of one other local wash that got hit also. Hopefully the guy will get caught at some point. I have been thinking about a more elegant shield for the cam locks, and will post a pic once I get a prototype made. I am pretty sure he is using a gun powder actuated nail gun to blow out the cam locks. There is a video on youtube showing how easy it is. Thanks youtube!
Don't tell me he's using the same method from the movie called "No Country for Old Men"

Randy

Reaction score
Don't tell me he's using the same method from the movie called "No Country for Old Men"
I've worked a number of bill changers that have had that trick done to them. They never got inside but it sure did a lot of damage to the insides of the "T" handle locking mechanism. Same with the Medeco plug locks, never got in but made a hell of a mess of the insides.

gpsoma

Reaction score
If your camera has motion sensor turn it on during night time and set up the email alert. If anyone comes to my carwash between midnight to 6:00am I will get a loud alert and I watch the cameras and call the cops as required. Consider adding extra security locks to buy more time.

Also, I empty my coin boxes every night and placed a 'Coin box emptied nightly' sticker to atert the thieves. If they manage to beak in I don't want them to get any money which would discourage them to come to my site.

The bottom line is any security system can be broken into and therefore educate the thieves that the risk outweighs the benefit.

Randy

Reaction score
The only way you guys are going to stop the thieves from attacking your coin boxes is to remove the bill validators. Last Friday night at 1am we were working late, I was grinding on a vacuum out by the road, sparks flying, it looked pretty supicious, a state patrolman and 2 deputy sheriffs drove by waved and kept right on going, none of them ever came back to see if we belonged there.

doublj70

Reaction score
The thieves came back a few nights ago, and got into one meter box that had my angle iron retrofit. They used a grinder with a cut off wheel to chop through the locks on the angle iron, then the Ramset gun to blast out the cam locks. So, until they get caught, I think I will need to take Randy's advise, and remove the bill acceptors from the bays. They also hit a friends washes in Napa over the weekend, so they are still going strong. I hope they get caught soon!

Thanks, John

Randy

Reaction score
The thieves came back a few nights ago, and got into one meter box that had my angle iron retrofit. They used a grinder with a cut off wheel to chop through the locks on the angle iron, then the Ramset gun to blast out the cam locks. So, until they get caught, I think I will need to take Randy's advise, and remove the bill acceptors from the bays. They also hit a friends washes in Napa over the weekend, so they are still going strong. I hope they get caught soon!

Thanks, John
John, I feel your pain. It's best to completely remove the validator and block off the validator hole in the coin box. If they are still hitting you I'd remove all of the validators from the bay coin boxes. One of my validator customers called me this morning he had sommeone take a 15lb sledge hammer to one of his coin boxes, I talked him into removing the validators.

Twodose

Reaction score
I live in a low crime area where I don't have the same problems you are having, I WOULD NOT install bill acceptors in the coin boxes in the bays for the same reasons as previously stated, it is just asking for trouble. Some think that you want to give you customers every option for their convenience when coming to your wash, but at what price???...

akellums1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

new member here and was hoping I could get some ideas on how to best prevent the Medco plug locks on my meters from getting drilled. I have had several break ins in the last few months and am getting tired of it. I see that several of you have installed a lock bar to cover the face of the plug locks. I am hoping to do the same thing but is likely not going to be easy. I am using Jim Coleman meters that are installed in a masonry enclosure. two of them are fully enclosed and two of them are mostly enclosed with the lower area open which is where the coin vaults are located. Any thoughts on ways of fitting the lock bar and puck lock on there to deter the idiots? Attached are a few pics of my wash. Thank you in advance for the help and suggestions.

Aaron

Attachments