What's new

The final 15% that makes the job...

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My detail techs need to better check their own work.

When they complete a full-service detail and I check their work, I immediately go to the spots I know 'may' need touch ups; cockpit crevices, between seats, seams in leather upholstery, door pockets, cup holders, windshield (inner and outer), sunroof, vanity mirrors, radio face, speedo lens, door gasket near lower door sill, etc.

Sounds like alot I know, but in reality it's the final 10-15 minutes of touchup that elevates a detail from pretty good to A+.

Question is; how do I get my detailers to check their own work more thoroughly? I have no problem with checking their work and as a manager I am very hands on. My problem exists, I think, within the gaps in my quality control; i.e.; I am managing another aspect of the business at the time of q.c./final inspection on full details and employees need to do their own work-checking prior to delivering the vehicle to the customer.

Thoughts? Thank you.:)

jfmoran

Reaction score
Waxman,

If you ever get this problem solved please tell me how you do it. I have tried all different things over the years, some work for awhile, most don't. Ultimately it comes down to one thing, you have to have an "eye for details," you have to be meticulous. The thing that sets you apart from your guys is your ability not to miss the small things, the last 15%. Ultimately, that's why you make the big bucks and they don't. Other factors that drive this "good enough" mentality are somewhat psychological. I have found the longer a guy spends on a car, sometimes more of the little things get missed, "detailers fatigue" sets in with a mindset of I just want to get done with this car.

One thing that has worked, but is not always possible, is to split the vehicle into different parts. Prep, Interior and Exterior/Finish. I have some guys who are better at prepping than others, or interiors or exteriors, so I divide the work based on skill area. This also helps in picking up things that are missed because you are getting more sets of eyes on the car.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes; good input. I do sometimes divide the labor. Most full service details have 2 techs. performing work. Often one is named Dave. Dave is the best employee I have, bar none.:D