What's new

The Distinction is Marked

jfmoran

Reaction score
It's amazing to me the double standard that the media has when describing the individuals who vote for Hillary and Obama. Especially in West Virginia.

Obama's followers are described as black, young and urbanites.

Hillary's followers are described as lower-income, poor, less well educated, religious, without college degrees, white, not wealthy, rural, women, seniors and older.

Why so much distinction and description about white voters and very little about black voters?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The role of the media in our election process and forming public opinion has become significant. With their love affair with Obama, it seems as though they have abandoned Hillary. Very little positive reporting is done on McCain. If Obama wins I believe much of the credit goes to media coverage. Examine what they have done regarding polling and exit information. Some times it seems that they are creating news rather than reporting it. Even "fair and balanced" Fox seems to shape news items to meet their needs. So-called news shows are filled with more commentary than news items.

The news on Iraq and the Middle East is even more revealing. If there is one bombing or negative story in the entire area they lead with that yet if something positive like restoring power to a community or securing another area there is no mention. I have talked to several returning soldiers who say that there has been significant progress in restoring the peace in Iraq. Many areas of the country have returned to almost normal conditions. Judging by what you see in the media you would guess that is not the case. They seem more concerned with the treatment of enemy prisoners than the safety and achievements of our own fighting force. Guys like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have become media regulars and have used that platform to acquire wealth and power way beyond their abilities.

My fears are that since we have become such a media dependent (especially tv and the Internet) society that the power of the media to shape public opinion will only become stronger in the future. That is a scary thought.

TheDoc

Reaction score
Let's see what a political posting will bring!

John, since I don't fit either one of those candidates typical voter descriptions, I guess I just have to vote for McCain!
BTW, he'll get the job done.

Steve (registered independent voter in Connecticut)

Danny

Reaction score
My tidbit on the media...

This reminds me of something I saw on TV many many years ago. A major news anchor of the time (20/20 or 60 minutes) was on with a late night show (Letterman, Leno, Carson). He described what and how the news is chosen to be reported. They report on behalf of the minority (whatever it might be) because this will entice the majority to be outraged and drive up ratings. The media will never report according to the majority since this is boring and everyone already agrees with it. Media will also sculpt the news to make the minority appear larger than it is to become a threat to majority.

Have you ever driven past picket lines the news reports as huge, and they are not so huge?

When is the last time you heard of shootings at inner city schools? or shootings in up scale neighborhoods?

Iraq, when is the last time the media reported anything good from there? Is it really possible that everything the U.S. is trying to accomplish in Iraq really negative?

The media reports problems within our own industry, are they showing a true view of every car wash? Do they give equal or even any time to the operators that do not experience these problems?

What have you experienced?

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
The job of the "media" BTW MEDIA I believe means a "mix type to communicate" today is to SELL ADVERTISING not to INFORM.

But Robert, I noticed some "key phrases" in words that signal bias in all campaigns this year.... but most noticed them this week with HIll's "HARD WORKING WHITE" in WV.

If you go and look at the demographics, Obama's supporters who are white are high income, higher education. Hill's key phrase "hard working" means "blue collar" or union worker or trade level education. I'll get you the demos if you would like. It's very interesting to look at. Why the media doesn't report it.... IT DOES! But the type of media that report it is not picked up by the "average consumer" of a 5-7th grade education level who would go to that source of media. So what you get is the person watching the TV news after IDOL 5-7th grade education level in "media" understanding being bombarded with advertising that is sensationalized NEWS reporting about bigoty....not about the actual FACTS or statics... face it STATICS ARE BORING!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The problem is that those people with the 5th-7th grade level of ability are the vast majority of the voters who are swayed very easily by the media. The media has always been able to shape the opinions of the majority of the country. However, in today's world with the Internet and TV, it reaches many more people in a much quicker fashion.

Many in the media jumped on Hillary's statement about her support base of middle/lower class whites as a racist statement when in fact she was just stating facts. Obama's minister's rants have been played ad infinitum. When Bush mis-speaks, he is on Letterman's show that night being made to look like an idiot. When McCain is accused of infidelity it is broadcast throughout the nation before the truth comes out.

Unfortunately many of those 5th-7th grade levels are unable or refuse to analyze the source and validity of what they see and hear in the media. That puts the media in a position to shape opinions of the masses. For me that is too much power in the hands of the Dan Rather types.

mac

Reaction score
It really is amazing to watch. Barak Hussain Obama claims it is great that 95% of blacks support him. The media love it! Yet when Hillary gets 70% of the white vote in w. Virginia, they claim it is the evil racist people there. If George Bush were out boating and left the boat by walking on water back to land, what would be the headline the next day? Bush can't swim! This right to vte thing should be scaled back. I believe that when the country started, voting rights were left to the states to decide, and most of those had voting for only landowners.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
This right to vte thing should be scaled back. I believe that when the country started, voting rights were left to the states to decide, and most of those had voting for only landowners.
We already have it. It's called the Electoral College. Remember this, we are a Republic, not a pure Democracy.:eek:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I believe and McCain/Obama election race is going to set back race relations for many years. It may appear to the world that we have overcome our past but in reality it may fuel the fire for renewed negative feelings.

The media has already taken their position as Mac clearly demonstrated. It looks like the lines of demarcation between the two are already forming along racial factors. If the vast majority of minority voters cast enough ballots to give Obama the victory it will be a bitter pill for many whites to swallow. If Obama wins and proves to be a failure in office, many whites will say "See I told you so". If Obama is successful minorites will be quick to point out that they have been held back for years and his success proves that the cost of racism has been high and they could have done a better job all along.

If McCain wins the minorities will cry foul - held back again by "The Establishment". If he is unsuccessful in office minorities will be quick to point out what a better job Obama would have done. If McCain succeeds, whites will say "Thanks God Obama didn't get in".

I sincerely hope I am wrong but I don't see any way a McCain/Obama election race is going to be a positive for race relations in this country the way things are going now.

jfmoran

Reaction score
What if you don't like all three candidates? Does that mean you are practicing racism, sexism and ageism all all the same time?

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you were able to hear John McCains' speech this morning. I was able to see it all and am resonably confident I won't recognize it when sound bytes are reported over and over again tonight. I have been luke warm on McCain early on but I was moved by his speech--the tone was very much what this country needs and the summary of his vision for the end of his first term was exceptional. If you did not catch it, it would be worth reading the transcript--I would not normally say that about a political speech but this one is different.

Ted

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
I believe and McCain/Obama election race is going to set back race relations for many years. It may appear to the world that we have overcome our past but in reality it may fuel the fire for renewed negative feelings.

The media has already taken their position as Mac clearly demonstrated. It looks like the lines of demarcation between the two are already forming along racial factors. If the vast majority of minority voters cast enough ballots to give Obama the victory it will be a bitter pill for many whites to swallow. If Obama wins and proves to be a failure in office, many whites will say "See I told you so". If Obama is successful minorites will be quick to point out that they have been held back for years and his success proves that the cost of racism has been high and they could have done a better job all along.

If McCain wins the minorities will cry foul - held back again by "The Establishment". If he is unsuccessful in office minorities will be quick to point out what a better job Obama would have done. If McCain succeeds, whites will say "Thanks God Obama didn't get in".

I sincerely hope I am wrong but I don't see any way a McCain/Obama election race is going to be a positive for race relations in this country the way things are going now.
I'm not exactly sure of your point on several levels. Let me point them out... in a post below.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Blacks only make up 14% of the US population so to win the "minority vote... even if it was 95% of it (which MAC is wrong... 95% of the population CAN'T VOTE... maybe 60% can) that tally of 11% of all blacks can not win for Obama without a significan amout of "White votes". This mean that "race relations" are actually fine and healthy with nearly 50% of Americans (White Americans) who would cast their votes for Obama.

Secondly, we do have an electorial college as RPH points out (and a good this) because MAC seem to want to repeal the 15th ammendment that allows ALL US CITIZENS (including BLACKS to vote) because "there are too many" or what ever he said the reason is. It doesn't mater what the "education level" is, "the race", "the sexual preface" is or if the are liberal or conservative.... all Americans should and can VOTE under the 15th ammendment. It's thinking like this that scares the $hit out of me of what is becoming of our Nation because groups don't like how an election is going... just ignore the law or change the Constitution.... this is a reoccuring pattern lately.

A small FACT: OBAMA is more "WHITE" than "BLACK" geneticly. But people see the skin tone or facial feture first and judge the "blackness" over the "whiteness". There are VERY FEW "PURE" black African Americans (almost 0%) in the US as Slave owners passed down their genitic material 100's of years ago. Obama is also related to Dick Cheney (I think a 8th cousin) and Obama and G W BUSH are 11th cousins ( HW Bush too)! Obama is related to 4 other US Presidents!

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
It really is amazing to watch. Barak Hussain Obama claims it is great that 95% of blacks support him. The media love it! Yet when Hillary gets 70% of the white vote in w. Virginia, they claim it is the evil racist people there. If George Bush were out boating and left the boat by walking on water back to land, what would be the headline the next day? Bush can't swim! This right to vte thing should be scaled back. I believe that when the country started, voting rights were left to the states to decide, and most of those had voting for only landowners.
And this illistrate my point.... MAC why do you contiune to expose yourself as a bigiot?

Point #1. trying to use his middle name to state that he is a Muslim... when he is not. As a Christian, I'm sure you know that when you stated those word " I belive that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior" that the covers you.... does that mean you need to immediaty run out to the court house and change the name that your father gave you? If not look at my point next

point #2. My first name is DOUGLAS (of Irish dirivative meaning "from the dark water"). The IRA was a terriorst group which as moved to a political party now called SHIN FIN (sp.) Should we exempt any person with the name DOUGLAS form politics because their father who named them was obviously an IRA sympathizer of CATHOLIC decent? MAC have some FAITH

point #3 THE CONSTITUTION PLAINLTY STATES (there that pesky little document that keeps getting in the way of MAC) that "There shall be NO RELIGIOUS TEST FOR OFFICE". So DROP THE HUSSIEN thing.... we all know his middle name! BTW is Arabic, not Muslim (Islam is a religion) Names are dirived from regions, not religions except in the cases of taking SAINTS NAMES and CONVERSIONS. Most family PASS ON NAMES of other family members. Oh... and John McCain adopted a daughter who is from Indonessia.... which is a Muslim Nation so she most likely is Muslim too!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
My point is simple. This election is going to involve race regardless of how black Obama is or isn't. Any smart politician will avoid stating the obvious but will certainly work race into the election none the less. I realize that blacks are not in the majority but they do vote in significant numbers with a very high percentage for Obama.

"This mean that "race relations" are actually fine and healthy with nearly 50% of Americans (White Americans) who would cast their votes for Obama." Hillary already claims to have the majority of white voters so I find it hard to figure out how Obama can have 50%. I am not sure where you get the figure that 50% of the white population will vote for Obama.

The reality is that both candidates will try to use race to their political advantage with the result that race relations will suffer. On the one hand, Obama will attempt to continue to court the black vote while not alienating the white, asian and hispanic vote. On the other hand McCain will work race into the process through Obama's crazy minister and relationships with black voting blocks and celebrities. One will win and one will lose alienating the other's support group.

How will this not have a negative affect on race relations?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
In some respects, race relations in this country have dropped to a new low. If Obama is nominated, the issue of race could become ugly and it may have little to do with the ridiculous ?black/white? thing that some people are still clinging to. We now have untold millions of illegal immigrants running around who have come here to escape corruption and poverty in search of a better life. Consequently, many of these unfortunates are sucking the life blood out of our social welfare system. This condition is exacerbated by a weak economy and an administration that has seemed hell-bent on disenfranchising the general public for the sake of corporate greed. In fact, you can almost hear the ?whoosh? as the quality of life is being sucked out of the average person and low income families who are being pushed into adjunct poverty. As a result, crime is now rising to the point where criminals are stealing the copper plumbing from people?s homes to make money.

Many social scientists believe that the leading cause of divorce is financial pressure rather than infidelity or drug addiction. In order to achieve a semblance of social harmony, this country needs to create more ?good? paying jobs. This calls for strong leadership and forward thinking. Unfortunately, the candidates seem to be pandering ?we?re going to bring jobs to Michigan? with a strategy that contains more pixie dust and rainbows rather than substance. Arguably, more good paying jobs are not going to be created by jacking up the capital gains tax.

I hope the issue of race doesn?t become a factor or distraction during this election because we have very serious problems to fix to get this country turned around.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Any time the economy slows the quality of life declines and the crime rate rises. The Great Depression of the 20's is an example of what happens when the economy goes to hell in a handbasket. In our area thieves are stealing catalytic converters from cars in parking lots, copper from air conditioners and furnaces and even stainless steel tops from car wash vacs.

Robert raises some very valid points regarding the burden of unfettered immigration and politicians who are more concerned about being elected and padding their own pockets rather than solving the problems at hand. Despite what some here feel, race relations are getting worse as the recession deepens. I have have followed the campaigns fairly closely and have yet to hear any real solutions to the problems we have with the recession, gas/food prices, unemployment, illegal immigration, wars and the economy in general. The candidates feel making statements like "more jobs", lowering gas prices", "tax the rich", "end the war", etc will be enough to sway the minds of the masses. If they are pushed to give answers to these problems their politician minds kick in and they either skililfully avoid answering or blame the other guy for the problem.

Somehow our society has accepted the notion that anyone who lives here should be fed, clothed, and generally taken care of simply because they are within our borders. Illegal immigrants find it easier to get Medicare assistance than residents. We still have people in our city that receive Hurricane Katrina Relief. People who had foolishly gotten in over their heads in a mortgage now look to the government to save them. The list could go on and on.

Our problems are complex and I am sure there are no easy answers but to avoid them and hope they go away or to think they will be solved with political platitudes are making these problems even worse.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Illegal immigration has been a new "racial" issue in the US over the past few years. But the black/white issue has not changed much over the past, nor delcined. please follow me:

Example, Spike Lee's company "40 acre's and a mule" is not only a film company to remind us of Jackson's reniging of Lincoln's directive 15 (Gen. Sherman) giving freed blacks 40 acres and a mule, but it became a HIP HOP CLOTHING company. This has moved into "white america" as HIP HOP and RAP over the past 25 years has become a staple (bringing in billions of dollars in movies, clothing, jewelery and music). Personally I don't like it! But it has moved a generation of "white kids" to a new awareness of "blackness" and many white kids I employee (you do too) emulate black hip hop culture with baggy shorts, grills, chains, long shirts and high $ shoes. So a new generation has a "new understanding of "black Americans" that the older generation of American do not have.

That 50% number. Well Bill Clinton, it has been said, was the FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT. After leaving office he opened is Presidential office in HARLEM! After Hillary conceeds this race soon, democrats and many independants will get behind the party, many White. It is clear that more than 60% of Americans Identify themselves as other than republicans.

Cont.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
What I find positive in race relations is that at least we are talking about it. If I could name one of my hero's growing up in Philly it would be Arthur Ash (first Black man to win Wimbleton) but not because he was black but because he built an inner-city tennis acadamy for under priviledged kids in my "hood". But this is what I do feel has been dropped:

After the assination of JFK, Bobby and Martin Luther King the movement and momentium of race relations stagnated. My parents and grandparents generation "dropped the ball" or the "torch" so to say and push forward what was unfinished. So here we still are in the US dealing with CRAP 40 years later! Here we are 150 years after the Civil war and the Amancipation of Blacks still dealing with "reperations", "inequalility", "social injustices". What is "blackness"? Who are "Americans"? What price should be paid now for slavery after the repeal of the "40 acres and a mule" by President Jackson and has "affirative action" gone too far or not far enough? These are VALID questions and THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN ADDRESSED by past GENERATIONS!

Now is the time to address this.... I DON't WANT TO LEAVE THIS TO MY KIDS! Why should they have to continue to deal with Americas past wounds? Are we not smart enough to deal with our prejudeces? "Can't we all just get along?"

Eroupe delt with it. South America delt with it... hell SOUTH AFRICA DELT WITH IT... IT's TIME WE DELT WITH IT!