What's new

The biggest risk I have taken as a self serve owner….

edredtop

Reaction score
He probably means the pipe leading from the coin box to the safe. Crooks will break the pipe and run a hose down into the vault to vacuum out the coins. I had that very thing happen about a month ago at a wash I look after.
I didn't want to mention that openly for fear of this site being a "college" for the crooks, but you nailed it.
Here in Southern California, the advent of battery powered tools from Harbor 'Fright' has made life difficult for business owners and people trying to keep their catalytic converters attached to their vehicles. A cut-off tool (reciprocating saw or angle grinder) will make short work of those drop tubes. Our 6 bay is tokens only, but the knuckleheads don't read and still drill, pry, hammer, and Ramset our equipment.

MEP001

Reaction score
I agree with hardening the tubes, I'd wrap wire mesh around them and mold mortar or small aggregate concrete around them.

edredtop

Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment! Everything takes $1 tokens only, purchased with paper bills or credit card. Back in 2013-2014 our Hamilton cash machine was being strung. I noticed the numbers were off (the hopper counter didn't match the cash count). This was before we installed 31 HD video cameras. Not sure what you mean by "hardening" - maybe send me a private message? I have a steel & concrete pole in front of the bay vaults. Each vault has 2 steel plates & 3 locks (LAI & American). Welded 1/2 pipe to protect the locks.
The compliments you are receiving are well deserved ;-).
The security measures you've taken are top notch as well, but MEP001 nailed the area of concern in his reply. This is probably a low risk for you in my estimation, due to the fact you have no graffiti or evidence of entry attempts on your locks and such, combined with accepting tokens only at the equipment.
However, if still interested, here's one way to harden those areas.. (I'm sure the community has better ones) ;
Fabricate two stainless steel plates that fit on each side of the tubes that are an inch or two wider at the ends and prevents access from top to bottom.
Fasten the plates together by placing 3 large stainless steel carriage bolts between the tubes, and weld the nuts, sandwiching them.
A simple design that maintains the attractive appearance you have.
Keep in mind, these concerns are rooted in the fact that I have filed a few hundred police reports in the past 18 years, which hopefully is not normal in our car wash community.

"Harden"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_hardening

Last edited:

KeepItSimpleStup1d

Reaction score
Deciding to buy-out my ex-husband 10 years ago. I'm not a plumber, electrician or welder, but I LOVE my car wash, my customers and the industry. Income was flat and we were heavy in debt. Since then, I've been able to fix it up nicely and now it's making 3x gross. I just paid it off this year! :)
Beautiful Car wash. I live in this area and have always noticed how nice it is.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I didn't want to mention that openly for fear of this site being a "college" for the crooks, but you nailed it.
Here in Southern California, the advent of battery powered tools from Harbor 'Fright' has made life difficult for business owners and people trying to keep their catalytic converters attached to their vehicles. A cut-off tool (reciprocating saw or angle grinder) will make short work of those drop tubes. Our 6 bay is tokens only, but the knuckleheads don't read and still drill, pry, hammer, and Ramset our equipment.
I understand now what you mean by "hardening the tubes". In August 2019, a thief cut one of the tubes to the vacuum vaults, using a Dewalt battery operated sawzall - during the day! He also cut the metal tabs that hold the locks on. He stole both LAI locks & the metal plate. He then realized from the signs I'm TOKENS ONLY. He was gone within 5 minutes. I have an awesome welder who quickly replaced the damaged tube & covered the locks with 1/2 pipe. He suggested a box around the pipes as was suggested here. I may still do it. The thief exposed a weakness. I'm just building a better mousetrap!! The sticker adds a NICE touch. I got a great shot of him, his car & license plate, but the plate was reported stolen. The plate didn't match the vehicle.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
If only it wasn't true...it was the first time I ever really worried I'd find a body. Since then I found a guy dying in an abandoned car on my lot.

OurTown

Reaction score
A few years ago I found a guy sleeping behind my dumpster one morning. I asked him to leave and he agreed but did nothing more than sit up. He didn't seem right but I thought he was drunk. I was kinda nasty to him when he wouldn't leave. After the PoPo got there they called the ambulance. I found out he was severely dehydrated and a homeless veteran that also needed mental help. He was close to death and I felt bad about being mean to him after learning that.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
🙏❤
A few years ago I found a guy sleeping behind my dumpster one morning. I asked him to leave and he agreed but did nothing more than sit up. He didn't seem right but I thought he was drunk. I was kinda nasty to him when he wouldn't leave. After the PoPo got there they called the ambulance. I found out he was severely dehydrated and a homeless veteran that also needed mental help. He was close to death and I felt bd about being mean to him after learning that.
Dealing with the public in this industry can make you harsh, impatient and cynical. I appreciate your post. You did the right thing calling the police. Forgive yourself and pay it forward... maybe donate to a local Veterans organization.

traveler17

Reaction score
🙏❤
Dealing with the public in this industry can make you harsh, impatient and cynical. I appreciate your post. You did the right thing calling the police. Forgive yourself and pay it forward... maybe donate to a local Veterans organization.
“pay it forward”

does paying it forward include the guy taking a 💩 in my bay a few weeks ago. I’d like to find where he lives and return the favor. 😬

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My biggest risk:

In 2005, I was operating a car detailing business ( only ) in a rented building. I had purchased land next door, with plans to develop it into a car wash. I had no money, so the land owned agreed to owner financing and sold me 3 commercial building lots for $30,000. I had a business partner and we had been in business together since 1993.
The former partner and I never made much money at the detailing; we were low-priced and each winter business slowed to a trickle. Since I was good with money and could live on less, I was the one who went without a paycheck for 3 months each winter. The financial strain as well as different business philosophies caused us to argue. The arguments increased in frequency and intensity until he finally left the business. With no notice, he simply walked away. No meetings about the transition, no discussion. Nothing. He already had a new job lined up. I was devastated.

I could've easily given up, but out of determination, rage and spite I decided to fully pursue my dream of building a car wash. I somehow got financing after being rejected by a number of banks; laughed out of their offices, etc. It was humiliating, but I persevered. I had a young family and was building a new home at the same time. I was seriously over-extended and worked 7 days a week for years to make it work. Once the new car wash was up and running, my former landlord evicted me from my detail shop. Instead of just closing the detail shop, I built a new building on the West end of my land.

It all worked out, somehow! I just finished a full-remodel of my IBA, raised prices in SS to $5/5min. Things are finally working out, after 20 + years of grinding. I got my used car dealer license, bought an 8-plex apartment building and a 5-plex that also has one commercial space.

Never give up.

Last edited:

Vince

Reaction score
Thanks Greg! When we replaced the old metal mansard panels in 2006, it was a NO brainer to replace with blue (think water). The bright yellow complimented the blue, and created a energetic, happy vibe! :) Here's a photo of what my car wash looked like when we bought it in 2003. To save money, we re-used the original channel letters on the building. The sign company replaced the gold plastic panels with bright yellow, and converted from neon to LED. Then, we just used the same yellow for the pole covers and vacuums. I'm located on a busy corner, and the combination just "grabs" people's attention while they're sitting at the traffic light! :)
You have excellent taste and vision!