What's new

Texas rules for pit cleaning

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the rules are in the state of texas for pit cleaning and haul off? Been doing it myself for 5 years. City of Bryan told me 3 years ago that it was o.k. Now they are saying the state demands manifest on all vehicles. The waste must be tested. Cannot dump except in a state approved place, and a lot of other stuff even if I haul it off myself. I wanted to invest in a pump trailer, but do not know now. Have been quoted about $1800.00 to clean out 4 bay. Have to do it a couple of times a year. Can't afford that. Any ideas?

MEP001

Reaction score
The "approved" way to dry it is to have it on a surface impermeable to water with any runoff allowed to go to a drain. Once it's dirt and not mud it's no longer considered hazardous and you can haul it.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
Same here...the city of Harker Heights, TX told me I could NOT dry and haul myself. They want a manifest every 6 months and want to inspect my system when they feel like it...no exceptions.

So I asked...are the charity car washers required to provide a manifest too? You'll find them right across the street at the chicken place or the pizza place every Saturday in the summer. Now, I don't have a problem when it's kids, they usually give out by 11am, but the rules are the rules.

Silence on the other end of the line....

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Govt

Doesn't this say it all?

The government leaning on a tax paying entity that handles its waste water properly, but ignoring the environment fouling group entirely.

I guess the bigger you are, the bigger target you become.

woodjt

Reaction score
Only in Texas

I've been told by Harris County Environmental group that the State of Texas has exempted ALL charity car washes from any and all environmental regulations. Couldn't believe it. Not much you can do with that.

I have not seen any regs in Texas or Houston/Harris County that prohibit you from hauling and disposing the dried results from the pits to a local waste dump.

If a city is trying to shake you down, ask them for a copy of the regulation or law they are citing. If the 'official' won't provide that, contact your local council member for assistance. They will normally intercede to see what is going on.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If a city is trying to shake you down, ask them for a copy of the regulation or law they are citing. If the 'official' won't provide that, contact your local council member for assistance. They will normally intercede to see what is going on.
The best way to do this so as not to **** them off is to say "I would like a copy of the ordinance so I can make sure i am in compliance."

Some govt orgs have their regs on line.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
There's nothing that p*sses me off more than having to deal with a "small man with a big badge!!"

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
There's nothing that p*sses me off more than having to deal with a "small man with a big badge!!"
How true, but as the saying goes "better to be P*ssed off than P*ssed on"