What's new

Temperature Change Effects

mparker1975

Reaction score
Does anyone notice a change in your chemical quality in the bay as temperatures change? Maybe I am just crazy but lately we've received several complaints of chemicals in the bay and its been really hot. Do you think high or low temperatures effect chemical or equipment performance?

At one of our sites all of the pipes, tanks etc. sweat horribly during high temperatures. Every time I walk in the door I think what the hell has blown as the he floor is soaked! Do you think there is an underlying problem there?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
need 411 on type of complaints. Not cleaning? Not a good show?

Hot weather bakes on the bird poop and tree sap. Needs more dwell time. Not really a chemical issue.

Condensation causes pipes to sweat. Water flowing thru pipes makes them cooler than the surrounding warm moist air and the water condenses on the pipe. No grat mystery.

MEP001

Reaction score
If anything, hot weather should make it clean better. The chemicals are lower viscosity so the equipment should draw more, the water and the vehicles are hot so the dirt should be penetrated more easily by the chemicals.

You found a softener bypass valve open at one wash - do you maybe have an employee that works at both who might have done the same thing at another location?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“….we've received several complaints of chemicals….been really hot. ….does high or low temperatures effect chemical or equipment performance?

Temperature can affect wash quality especially with touch-less cleaning.

For example, when it has been very hot and sunny and hasn’t rained for a while, oil will rise to top of asphalt pavement and trap containments including “mineral-based” dirt.

When it rains, this collective garbage is thrown up on the vehicle and becomes the grime that coats the surfaces.

If touch-less uses single-stage cleaning with alkaline which is most effective against oil-based dirt, getting a clean car will be a real challenge.

This is why some touch-less uses two-stage cleaning (alkaline and acidic). Acidic cleaners are most effective at removing mineral-based dirt. Thus, two-stage covers a broader range of dirt and environmental conditions.

“At one….sites all of the pipes, tanks etc. sweat horribly during high temperatures.”

Generally speaking, sweating devices are an indication of “inadequate ventilation” in the mechanical room.

Does the mechanical room have vents and exhaust fan?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
An issue I have had is that scum seems to build up on foot valves, screens and in lines faster in warm weather. This can impede proper chemical usage. Check all foot valves, screens, and even lines to make sure this is not an issue. I stopped using certain products because of thhis problem.

Report back if any suggestions helped you.

MEP001

Reaction score
Generally speaking, sweating devices are an indication of “inadequate ventilation” in the mechanical room.

Does the mechanical room have vents and exhaust fan?
It's from humidity, whether it's from open-top hot water tanks or simply from the air. If all his tanks have lids, ventilation will probably just make it worse.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I experience poor cleaning I test the soap for strength at the nozzle. That is first. If it's within an acceptable range then you could make it stronger. If it's not strong enough at the nozzle, look for clogged foot valves or injector problems or water softner brine tank out of salt or water temp.

Log your trouble: date, test results for soap strength, and what fixed your problem.