What's new

Target Mailing?

dogwasher

Reaction score
Anyone try the Target Mailing and if so does it worth it?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Targeted marketing can be a highly effective way to get new customers and increase the wash frequency of existing customers.

However, it is not like pulling a rabbit out of the hat, it takes planning and execution to get good results and an acceptable return on investment.

It begins by determining what your goals and objectives are, what are you trying to accomplish and to what degree.

You need to identify current level of performance and available resources because it costs money to target market, perhaps a little more than you may be used to spending on advertising and promotion.

You need to create an offer based on your products and services and a message that resonates in the minds of motorists, gets their interests up and attracts them.

The campaign must be of sufficient duration and it must go to the right households to be effective. So, you need to segment the market to target it.

And so forth.

The carwash owners I have worked with have had great success with target marketing.

I suggest that you stick with your desire and give targeted marketing a good chance to see how well it can work for your situation.

dogwasher

Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I am setting up a mailing this month. I know Earl asked what is this target emailing...It probably has a more appropriate name so I may not have explained it correctly but I'm using a company that advertises in the Auto Laundry, I believe it is Jay Sniff/target mailing? I will be sending advertising to new home owners and Birthdays to people in my area. The mailer will not only have information and coupons for my wash but will also give them a free wash. I guess I will see how it goes

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
At one time I rec'd a list of names and an invoice from a company which I believe is called "Moving Targets". I did not ordered it but felt "Heck maybe it's a good idea so I'll look at it and see where the people are." It was a list of people suuposedly new to the area. When I lloked I saw many were far away. Some 5 miles or more which is a long way in Chicago and the suburbs. They would have to drive past 5 other locations before they got to mine.

So, I called them to notify them I did not order it. They put the salesman who purportedly sold it on the phone. He claimed to have spoken with an employee who oredered it. This is BS. My employees don't order anything for the place except lunch. He even had the guys name wrong. I told him this and he asked for the correct name and I said why, so you can correct your records. I had to work my way up the ladder over a couple of months to get them to stop sending stuff and kill the bill.

I would say what the heck,give it a try but don't sign any long term commitments.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
At one time I rec'd a list of names and an invoice from a company which I believe is called "Moving Targets". I did not ordered it..... I had to work my way up the ladder over a couple of months to get them to stop sending stuff and kill the bill.

I would say what the heck,give it a try but don't sign any long term commitments.
Earl, Dogwasher & others,

I had several advertisers pull something similar. This might be better as a new thread addressing phone solicitations in general ---- "targeted mailings" being just one of them with potential misleading offers or stuff.

The bill can keep coming --- I write on bill with refusal to pay. They even have an attorney write a letter like a collection agency. One time it really took the cake when they tacked the bill on my local telephone bill & the local & regional 75+ years old telephone company said it was needed for me to call the company who they allowed to piggyback on their bill. The company would rarely pick up the phone & never would call back from voicemails but continued to bill. It is almost like they were using the fear of ruined credit as a weapon. I would like to find a technique to stop this type of deception more quickly & without wearing myself out or leaving too much at risk for both the business & myself.

What Robert Roman said does make sense but there should be precautions taken.

MJ

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If you ever use Priceline for travel you have to watch out for a similar problem of having a small monthly fee added to your credit card bill for a service you don't use.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
MJ you can lock your phone bill and everyone should call your phone company and lock it just in general. You can go to your Utilities commission and file a complaint. Usually just the treat of filing a report with them will get the phone company to remove it.

RPH, you should do a customer review on priceline, it is indexed and does get out there.