What's new

Tar on Bay Walls

washregal

Reaction score
I got tared on a couple of my bay walls.. What a bunch of jerks that do this stuff.

I need to acid wash the walls.. But I know that the Tar needs to be pretreated.

Does anyone have any pretreatment chemical they recommend to take off Tar on bay walls.. Something that does the trick that does not cost an arm and a leg?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A product called 'Tarminator' by a company called Stoner.

Or, to handle this today, get a couple gallons of 'prepall' solvent from auto parts. It's a tar, wax and grease remover used by body shops to prep cars for paint. Heck, even diesel fuel would work.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Probably anything oil-based would work to loosen it up. WD-40, gas, or even Skin So Soft from Avon would help. Don't ask how I know about the Avon stuff... :)

MEP001

Reaction score
WD-40 definitely works. I've used it and just sprayed liberally, let it soak for a few minutes and used high-pressure soap. WD-40 will displace the water if you need to spray some more on. If you can wait until the sun is shining directly on the mess, the heat will help soften it for cleaning.

Red Baron

Reaction score
We build roofinging "spray rigs" and have had to deal with asphalt overspray for 28 years. Good advice given already above:
* Diesel
* WD-40
* Naptha
* Baby Oil (from skin)

Be careful though about using about cleaning of any absorant material like concrete, mortar joints, as the cleaners above can stain. Pressure washing with cold water is sometimes the best way to get "tar" off of absorbant surfaces.

Btw, it's probably asphalt on your walls, not tar. Two very different products and what will remove asphalt won't alway remove tar. To find out for sure, gouge it with your thumbnail - if it has a strong menthol aroma, it's tar.

Etowah