What's new

Taping Up

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Simple; the rotary buffer slings product. Taping up is quicker than cleaning cowls, trim and cracks of all excess product. As an added benefit, you don't burn mouldings if they are taped up.

jfmoran

Reaction score
A couple of my smart detailers tape off like this (with the exception of covering the side windows), my not so smart ones forget or don't cover anything and then have to deal with me, standing over their shoulder saying "clean here and here and here and here and here..." for all the sling and dust that gets left behind. My dad always said "do it right the first time, or don't do it at all."

John

buda

Reaction score
This type of taping is done as a matter of course in the Japanese detail shops. Not only to protect against sling, but also to prevent burning of any plastic parts on the exterior.

Of course they get about the equivelant of $500 to $600 for a full exterior detail.

TheDoc

Reaction score
I'm not Asian and I do generally tape off all moldings and trim with the exception of glass. The reason is to mitigate any chance of damage to moldings and too keep excessive amounts of dried product (dust) from entering areas that are a paint to clean, even with a pressure washer.
I don't do it on every vehicle, just full wet sand or compounding jobs.

15 minutes of prep saves and hour plus on the back end!

AND the job looks a ton better!

Steve

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Japanese detail shops? Hmmm. Don't know quite to make of that input. It seems as though you are stating in a round-about way that this type of taping is unnecessary/extravagant on a basic, 2-step, machine buff job.

However, the time and materials cost to tape up vs. the time and expense to scrub off sling and remove dust favors taping up/. Plus, even skilled buffer operators can touch a moulding by mistake and burn it. Replacing or repainting mouldings is costly (I have gone that route).

I should also add that some compounds and glazes really stick to porous mouldings and are very difficult to wash off!

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
It seems as though you are stating in a round-about way that this type of taping is unnecessary/extravagant on a basic, 2-step, machine buff job.

However, the time and materials cost to tape up vs. the time and expense to scrub off sling and remove dust favors taping up/.
That's all that should matter, regardless of what anyone thinks of your procedure.