What's new

Tandem or Softgloss?

dirty harry

Reaction score
I have a friend that is trying to decide between a PDQ Tandem and a Ryko Softgloss. Assuming the distributor support level was equal, what are your thoughts?

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I know from experience that just the other day after our first snow and we we're lined up all day in both automatics Soft gloss and touch free, I couldn't get them through fast enough I was at a 3-4 min wash time per vehicle in the soft gloss and that's with 5 brushes at once If I only had 2 brushes I would have been financially hurting.

seattleguy

Reaction score
I went through this exact decision process. I bought a Softgloss and have been very please. Great dealer support and no problems at all. For customers that prefer touch free I bought a Wash World. It had some setup problems and once dialed in has been superb.

mac

Reaction score
If he decides on a softgloss, check out the used ones on ebay. You should be able to get a nice one for under 20K.

captain cw

Reaction score
SoftGloss. Better throughput and a BUNCH more installed in the field, which means much more field testing. I like the looks of the tandem, but when I used one it took 10 minutes to wash my truck. That would kill me on a busy day.

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
Keep in mind that all the wash packages on the Tandem are programmable by the customer. The length of the wash will also depend on whether or not it has an integrated dryer. I have sites that are doing the basic wash in 2:45 and the top wash around 5:30.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that all the wash packages on the Tandem are programmable by the customer. The length of the wash will also depend on whether or not it has an integrated dryer. I have sites that are doing the basic wash in 2:45 and the top wash around 5:30.
So you can add another 60 seconds for the the drive thru dryer?

Mike

Reaction score
So you can add another 60 seconds for the the drive thru dryer?
Depends on the bay, if the bay is long enough the Tandem can be washing another car while the first car is getting a dry.

Regards
Mike

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I am not taking any shots at anyone in particular but I am tired of manufacturers and some distributors claiming that a customer will load their car into an automatic while another is exiting through a free standing dryer. I have been at automatic locations from coast to coast and in very rare occasions does a customer even begin loading into an automatic while another is exiting through a free standing dryer. Normally they wait until the bay is completely cleared before entering.

I am not referring to the relatively new setup where the dryer pass is made in the area beyond the automatic in a separate space or bay. This set up seems to expedite the process a bit and does increase throughput somewhat but again, not as much as is often claimed.

While I would agree that a free standing dryer will improve throughput to a degree, the time gained by a free standing dryer is much less than many would have you believe. In reality what it saves is the time a dryer pass would take minus the time it takes a vehicle to exit the free standing dryer.

Reaction score
I looked a tandem the other day, it looks like a mechanical nightmare with those belts, sure makes a clean bay!!! dont know about a softgloss

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I am not taking any shots at anyone in particular but I am tired of manufacturers and some distributors claiming that a customer will load their car into an automatic while another is exiting through a free standing dryer. I have been at automatic locations from coast to coast and in very rare occasions does a customer even begin loading into an automatic while another is exiting through a free standing dryer. Normally they wait until the bay is completely cleared before entering.

I am not referring to the relatively new setup where the dryer pass is made in the area beyond the automatic in a separate space or bay. This set up seems to expedite the process a bit and does increase throughput somewhat but again, not as much as is often claimed.

While I would agree that a free standing dryer will improve throughput to a degree, the time gained by a free standing dryer is much less than many would have you believe. In reality what it saves is the time a dryer pass would take minus the time it takes a vehicle to exit the free standing dryer.
I tend to agree. The exception were some washes I visited in the Northeast. The washes were 70'+ with three overhead doors. After the wash an overhead door opened and the vehicle pulled thru and parked, the oh door closed behind them. They then got the on board dryer treatment. Another car could then load into the wash behind them. When the car in the drying section was done, an oh door would open and let them out. It seemed to work well but the equipment/building cost had to be comparable with an exterior tunnel which would give more throughput (with employees). I saw a few of these that had 2-3 of these bays side by side. Sometimes giving a choice of friction or touchless. The owners simply did not want to deal with employees and chose this setup over an exterior tunnel.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
The softgloss is based on the Voyager 2 which has been in operation for over 17 years. The first one I put in was back in 1995 and its still running today.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
The entrance door opens on a Ryko as soon as the first car has completed the wash. The coinbox will hold the code in escrow so the customer can enter his code or money while the 1st customer is in the wash. Most people will wait until the car in front of them is at least half way through the dryer (common courtesy) before they get on the bay plate. I prefer the stationary dryer just because the customer can regulate their own dry. Many customers will just drive through quickly, in which case the photo eyes on a Ryko dryer will see that the person has left and shut off the dryer. I think there can be more of a problem with touch less as far as drying while the other is washing (blows the presoak around and thus poor coverage).