What's new

Tag Capture Camera Suggestions

Etowah

Red Baron

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to add a couple of tag capture cameras at my car wash and need some advice.

1. Which low-med cost cameras do you suggest?
2. Do they need to be mounted to view the vehicle straight on, or is a slight angle ok?
3. How far away from the vehicle will they work reliabily?
4. Do all of them connect to my DVR the same way as my regular cameras do?
5. Is there a wireless version?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to add a couple of tag capture cameras at my car wash and need some advice.

1. Which low-med cost cameras do you suggest?
2. Do they need to be mounted to view the vehicle straight on, or is a slight angle ok?
3. How far away from the vehicle will they work reliabily?
4. Do all of them connect to my DVR the same way as my regular cameras do?
5. Is there a wireless version?
I have a q See system and I can get good camera views in my tunnels depending on certain factors .
1 - 3. They can be 1-2 feet from the side of the vehicle and I have them at about 8 feet high but could be lower. wehn car is 6-12 feet away I get the best views depending on what is happening with daylight conditions. Low light is not an issue but the tunnel runs N-S with windows on the east. Early morning some camera views wash out the plates, but sinc emore than one camera can get thenumber it is not really an issue.
4. They were part of the off the shelf DVR system so conection was not an issue.
5. Do not know. Due to electrical issues in tehe tunnel I have not been real happy with some wirless technology like intercoms. But the wirelees alarm units seem OK. cannot speak to how it would affect wireless camera transmissions.

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
Installed at access points, the EL-ID1 captures plates of vehicles entering and exiting properties at speeds of up to 30mph, from a 15-30ft range. Built-in infrared illumination enables plate capture under any lighting condition, while intelligent saturation technology eliminates motion blur and headlight / sunlight glare for a high-contrast image. Delivering perfect plate capture, the EL-ID1 allows the identification of front and rear license plates regardless of the weather or lighting conditions. The EL-ID1 is also a far more cost efficient solution than other plate cameras without sacrificing quality.

MEP001

Reaction score
I used a Sony camera with a telephoto lens, mounted just above a light which does wonders for getting tags at night. It's approx. 100' away from the drive but gets a very clear image. The only limitations are time of day (for a couple of hours each morning the sun shines into it which glares it out) and the DVR, which can't record nearly as high-resolution as the camera can see. This camera:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-3-Sony-CCD-Da...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:0|293:1|294:30

has even higher ratings than the $600 Sony that I used. I've bought many cameras from their eBay site and like them a lot.

Dolly6767

Reaction score
I used a Sony camera with a telephoto lens, mounted just above a light which does wonders for getting tags at night. It's approx. 100' away from the drive but gets a very clear image. The only limitations are time of day (for a couple of hours each morning the sun shines into it which glares it out) and the DVR, which can't record nearly as high-resolution as the camera can see. This camera:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-3-Sony-CCD-Da...34.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301:0|293:1|294:30

has even higher ratings than the $600 Sony that I used. I've bought many cameras from their eBay site and like them a lot.
Please be careful here as I learned this the hard way. The camera on the link is NOT a Sony camera. Sony only invented the CCD and holds the patent rights. Many cheap, off-brand camera companies mention Sony's name in order to trick people into thinking they are buying a Sony camera. There is a big difference in quality (and price) and longevity between a real Sony camera and a cheap knock-off. If it doesn't say "Sony" or have their logo anywhere on the exterior of the camera, then it's not really a Sony.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've never had any issues with the quality or longevity of the cameras I've purchased from that seller. I knew from both the description and the price that it was a camera made with Sony or Sony-spec components. One who "learns the hard way" from the seller I referenced has simply not read the listing.

Dolly6767

Reaction score
I've never had any issues with the quality or longevity of the cameras I've purchased from that seller. I knew from both the description and the price that it was a camera made with Sony or Sony-spec components. One who "learns the hard way" from the seller I referenced has simply not read the listing.
With all due respect, I wasn't referencing your "seller" at all. I don't buy car wash equipment, cameras, or anything else off e-bay. Your post said "I used a Sony camera with a telephoto lens" and posted a link to the camera. My intent was simply to point out that the camera you linked was NOT a Sony, and that there is a significant difference in quality between a real Sony camera and a cheap knock-off. That's all. I'm happy for you that you haven't had any problems so far. And I certainly wasn't trying to offend you or your choice of products or equipment peddlers.

MEP001

Reaction score
Please note that I specifically stated that the linked camera was different from the real Sony camera I installed. I did not link to the camera I used, nor did I at any time say it was.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I've used a ton on "no name brand" cameras, as well as brand names. The no name do surprisingly well, and longevity is more than I expected. I've got a few dozen installed in 2001-2003. Over 90% of them are still working. When you consider the environment they're in, that's impressive.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Installed at access points, the EL-ID1 captures plates of vehicles entering and exiting properties at speeds of up to 30mph, from a 15-30ft range. Built-in infrared illumination enables plate capture under any lighting condition, while intelligent saturation technology eliminates motion blur and headlight / sunlight glare for a high-contrast image. Delivering perfect plate capture, the EL-ID1 allows the identification of front and rear license plates regardless of the weather or lighting conditions. The EL-ID1 is also a far more cost efficient solution than other plate cameras without sacrificing quality.
Found a guy I knew who sold me 2 of these new cameras and installed them, and so far they are a big disappointment. Can't seem to find a balance that allows a decent tag shot at night and at day. If the tag is clear at night, it is washed out/white in the day. Mfr said to put them out of direct sunlight. Huh? I've adjusted the potentiometer, to no avail, adjust to reduce angle to less than 40 degrees, still to no avail. So far it seems like a wasted of money.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
A good camera of that style should not have a potentiometer adjust for that. It should have either an electronic shutter capable of compensating for night/day or an electric iris.