What's new

T 5 fluorescent bay lighting

WikiWash

Reaction score
Has anyone consider upgrading to the G&G LED lighting system? They come with a five year warranty and claim to have 100,000 hour life span.

MEP001

Reaction score
I considered it, but it's still too expensive IMO considering you can light the bays with T8 fluorescents for about 1/4 of the installation price, and the bulbs are rated to last 36,000 hours. I've done the math, and you'd spend more for the lights than you could ever save in electricity and maintenance.

hsb

Reaction score
The three 100 watt bulbs put out wrong color. So I used the bulbs that I thought I would return to 1000bulbs. The bulbs are the 250 watt cfl 5000k, one per Pak, 4 paks per bay half on timer, half on timer with motion detector. Seems to work well. Now to return the 100 watt bulbs to SAMs.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Has anyone consider upgrading to the G&G LED lighting system? They come with a five year warranty and claim to have 100,000 hour life span.
WikiWash,

We put in the 24 VDC G&G LEDs last summer in our three most used bays. We do not regret it. In our bays with more wintertime moisture in bays that require overhead doors on both ends, we have bad memories of maintenance & being the lazy buggers :) that we are did not want to repeat that same mistake. Plus, we think that the quality of light is better than the T8s ... which we also have in our less used three "not as protected from the wind" bays. Our evening after dark business has improved from our decision to go the LED route. That amenity along with the convenience of our customers having easy access enabling the use of dollar coins is significant. Some amenities are more compelling than others ... we also redesigned & improved our restroom situation.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
Plus, we think that the quality of light is better than the T8s
There are several color temperatures available in T8 fluorescents, some of which have a better light output than others. To make a blanket statement that the G&G LED has a better quality of light than T8 fluorescent is farcical.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
WikiWash & others,

To add to my previous post. I do honestly think that the ability to tweak the direction of the 2 foot segmented concentrated LED light from the G&G LEDs does help the end quality result & the specific lumen - actual watts used ratio. Our T8 bulbs are locally bought & are Sylvania 4100K Cool Whites so that is what I am comparing the quality G&G LEDs with. I am not familiar with the daylight 6500K T8 bulbs.

I wonder if there is anybody else on the forum who has a light meter & a greater mix of lights than we have on our property :confused:??? It seems like lumens as tested right at our car washes should be the criteria as long as the CRI is in the 4100K to 6500K range. Someone else probably has a better sense of how higher than 4100K actually does make the customer see the colored surfaces of their vehicles better in our car wash bay environment.

I wonder if the newer flourescents have vastly improved latches for their needed water resistant covers because we have memories of the plastic getting brittle etc. We are thinking that the waterproof clear plastic G&Gs after they are sealed on the ends with the recommended sealant is a much better quality material. I wish I had data on independent unbiased honest testing of the durability factor between the 2 choices. The honest specifics of the testing process for the durability comparison is something to consider. Just for a prime example, the testing process done (by the bit too attached to the one dollar paper bill people) to improperly influence the 10th GAO independent study would be the type of study that should be given a much more thorough & more honest analysis.

mike walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html

MEP001

Reaction score
Your G&G fixtures probably look brighter because they're more directional. If you look at the rated lumens per watt, you'll see for yourself that the LEDs are not brighter per watt. If they are and they're still claiming they last 100,000 hours, they're lying. You can't over-drive LEDs and not shorten their life.

I don't doubt that LEDs will keep coming down in price and improving in efficacy until they're cheaper long-term than good quality fluorescents, but I think that's still a decade or more away.

hsb

Reaction score
I have replaced all the metal halide wall packs to the 250 watt cfl. I broke only one bulb. But I found that a few of the wal pack housings were essentially dissolved. Anyone in Illinois have any old wall packs that they don't need?

CleanWD

cleanwd.com
Reaction score
If using T8 Flourescents please check out this product and let me know what you guys think. Cost efficient and more LUX (standardized unit of measurement of the light intensity) at less wattage. Admin let me know if this is not allowed. http://www.spectrareflector.com

Turbo

Reaction score
I have replaced all the metal halide wall packs to the 250 watt cfl. I broke only one bulb. But I found that a few of the wal pack housings were essentially dissolved. Anyone in Illinois have any old wall packs that they don't need?
Yes. I have at least 10. I'm in Chicago

hsb

Reaction score
Yes. I have at least 10. I'm in Chicago
I stopped at home depot for some supplies for a rental house and stopped in the lighting dept.

I found waterproof 2 bulb four foot T8 housings for $70 and bulbs for $4 each so I bought two of those to finish the job and will get more if they work well. seemed priced right.

Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
I just looked at those the other day - I assume they were the Lithonia? See if you can get ahold of the manufacturer and order stainless clips for the lens. The plastic ones will get brittle in a few years, and when you go to change the bulbs they'll just crumble.

I've been putting these up in place of the 320W Scottsdale metal halides - they're almost as bright and are only 112W.

http://products.smartlightingsoluti...t-fixtures-with-t8-lamp/sls-vthb-432-m-a-ish?

Randy

Reaction score
There is huge difference in the fixture requirement for a car wash than at a airport, manufacturing warehouses and hospitals, they don’t require the fixtures to be water tight. If the Spectra Reflector doesn’t fit into a water tight fixture it’s not going to much interest.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I used www.smartlightingsolutions.com

I got 4 T5HO fixtures per self serve and 6 per automatic. I had 4 MH fixtures per bay with 6 in the automatics. I just replaced what I had. For each of my 7 bays, I put the back 2 fixtures on an occupancy sensor so that they only come on when someone drives in. My lights are super bright and I save $300 per month on average plus the costs of the bulbs. Last time I ordered, I could get T5HO for $3 per bulb and I have only lost about 10 bulbs in the 2 or more years since installing them. The fixtures cost me $4000 and I installed all 34 of them myself.

Oh, I got the two bulb T5HO 4' fixtures and put one every place there was a Lithonia Wallpack.

Last edited:

pgrzes

Reaction score
I used www.smartlightingsolutions.com

I got 4 T5HO fixtures per self serve and 6 per automatic. I had 4 MH fixtures per bay with 6 in the automatics. I just replaced what I had. For each of my 7 bays, I put the back 2 fixtures on an occupancy sensor so that they only come on when someone drives in. My lights are super bright and I save $300 per month on average plus the costs of the bulbs. Last time I ordered, I could get T5HO for $3 per bulb and I have only lost about 10 bulbs in the 2 or more years since installing them. The fixtures cost me $4000 and I installed all 34 of them myself.

Oh, I got the two bulb T5HO 4' fixtures and put one every place there was a Lithonia Wallpack.
www.kblighting.com out of Philadelphia has the 4' ho vaportight with bulbs complete for $80. I just picked up 4 more today to replace some old 6' t8 fixtures. I put about 10 of them in almost 2 years ago and only had 1 problem right next to touchless auto front corner of car. Fixture is getting blasted with water.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
That's what I paid for mine. Mine had several upgrades though. I think they were around $60 before the upgrades. I got the acrylic lenses, mirror reflectors and stainless hangars and clips. Those are all necessary in car washes. I did mine a few years ago though. If I recall correctly, mine were around $130 with the occupancy sensors.