What's new

Switching from Coins to Tokens

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Yes, you should definitely accept quarters. The customers are stuck in the mindset that you must have quarters and some will bring them. Look how many car wash operators still dispense them. I pretty much ditched quarters as soon as the golden dollars became available. I deposited hundreds of dollars worth every week, that were carried in. I definitely would not turn my back on them.

Bigmatthew86

Reaction score
No doubt. Just for the cost I haven’t. I thought about making 1 vacuum accept quarters still but figured it’d just confuse people.

edredtop

Reaction score
I think you should accept quarters also at your vacs. I do and it's very convenient for the customer.
It's absolutely convenient for the customer, but sometimes concessions must be made. It totally depends on the location and the operator's 'pain' threshold.
For example, I had to stop taking quarters at our vacs after a couple of guys wrapped a steel cable around one and ripped it off of its pedestal with a pick-up truck. The wonderful part was it had just been collected from.
Once the vacuums were tokens only, the theft attempts went from dozens a year to near zero with no sales losses. I now charge $2 (in tokens) for 5 minutes and they are rippin' busy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bill Capron

Reaction score
My sales are $1 Credit Card, $1 cash to token and 50 cents quarters. The vacuum’s have more quarters.
I’ve watched and discovered that when people vacuum if they find a quarter they deposit it into the vacuum.
TAKE QUARTERS!
I’m dollar tokens, dollar coins and quarters. I only dispense custom tokens. I’m $1 start for tokens or quarters and $3 start for C.C.
I have new meter boxes on order to install. I plan on decals, paint and seal coat for the parking lot as a facelift.
I’m thinking a $5 credit and 2 or 3 dollar token start is time.
I’m also going to count up on credit.
I’ve always wished that I had done my upgrades sooner.