What's new

Switch to DAN ?

soonermajic

Reaction score
My GoldLines use minimal CC, but installing a new Razor XR7. They want me to put in DSL(Currently have dialup).

Whats coat of totsl switchover to DAN, & what are the advantages, & what all will it entail? Will I need to switch BOTH my GoldLines to DSL & DAN?
If so, I guess it doubles, cause I have to buy 2 DAN's for the 2 GoldLines (SoftGloss & XR7)?

Anything I'm missing?

MEP001

Reaction score
I believe you can run multiple cashiers on one D.A.N. You don't need to switch just because something needs DSL, just keep the phone line. Not only will you have to spend about $6000 on hardware and run ethernet cables to the cashiers, Hamilton and e-Xact will get a chunk of each transaction. Dial-up processing is still pretty fast.

chaz

Reaction score
DAN is not cheap....but very reliable. U can operate an entire site with one DAN computer but you will need controllers and hard wire to each piece of equipment. U can also, with more fees have one time codes and bar code with DAN . There are other c/c options that will work with Goldline. DAN also has great reporting

MEP001

Reaction score
There are wireless network bridge devices you can use to wirelessly connect something to a D.A.N. if you can't run cables to it.

There are a lot of advantages to a D.A.N., but one big downside especially if you use it for your SS processing: fees. Think about spending upwards of $30,000 on equipment to outfit a 6-bay and auto with CC acceptance and still paying higher fees than Cryptopay.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I believe you can run multiple cashiers on one D.A.N. You don't need to switch just because something needs DSL, just keep the phone line. Not only will you have to spend about $6000 on hardware and run ethernet cables to the cashiers, Hamilton and e-Xact will get a chunk of each transaction. Dial-up processing is still pretty fast.
Ok, so I can switch to DSL, but not switch to DAN? Am i right? If so, how would that work? I thought to use Hi Speed, on a Hamilton, you had to also have a D.AN.?
I wonder if WashWorld can still get into my XR7 on basic High Speed internet?

I don't wanna spend a $hit ton if I don't have to, especially since our CC transactions are less tham 20% ! Then also get gigged by DAN & e-Xact...

Last edited:

JCM

Reaction score
You only need one dan per location. All devices connect to the Dan through your local network. You have to have a dan for high speed internet/cc processing with goldlines. Depending which controller you have in your gold line you may need to upgrade it or use a serial to Ethernet converter(Hamilton makes it).

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I thought cryptopay has a retrofit for a Goldline? I'm running a DAN system and like it alot! I'm running high speed I process CC in seconds for my IBA

soonermajic

Reaction score
Dang that is low for an auto. Is it a low income area?
It's 35% ony SoftGloss & 5% on my Touchless (wherey guys prep). They pay all cash on touchless, so they can give the preppers a tip. ENTIRE town is already trained. Kinda wild what I inherited, but I go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

So it seems like I can keep dialup on GoldLine & use high speed for the Razor XR7 (future trouble shooting) & for the Cryptopays I'm gonna install in my 4 SS bays...?

MEP001

Reaction score

STXCW

Reaction score
As mentioned DAN isn't cheap. Especially when you purchase several units and 6 years later the computers are getting to EOL and you are told they can shut down any day. We are converting them all to Crypto Pay

Rfreeman

Reaction score
EOL...as in End Of Life? Does Hamitlon not have software updates for them? I run a DAN system so curious to know if i should be making future plans

chaz

Reaction score
Don’t need to make future plans....just budget for upgrades and DAN computer upgrades as needed. Great system and great support....a bit pricey...but Hamilton is great stuff

STXCW

Reaction score
EOL...as in End Of Life? Does Hamitlon not have software updates for them? I run a DAN system so curious to know if i should be making future plans
Yes...End of Life. I was shocked when we were told that our units could no longer be updated. Not something you want to hear 6 years in.

MEP001

Reaction score
I looked into creating a backup of the entire D.A.N. unit once, not long after we installed the system. My plan was to buy an identical unit and clone the hard drive. The computer hardware was (and still is) an ordinary mini-format PC in a case meant for mounting and at the time cost around $600. Even though the D.A.N. unit was about a year old, the hardware had been out of production for more than two years. When the hard drive failed, Hamilton didn't have any, so to get back in operation quickly they sold us a new D.A.N. computer for $3000. I never got around to cloning the drive like I wanted, but had I done that routinely I could have saved us $2900.

JCM

Reaction score
The reason they can not be updated is they are running windows xp. Just like all computers currently running XP they are no longer supported by any software. A DAN running windows 7 or 10 is upgradeable. Just did a windows 7 DAN upgrade on Monday.