What's new

Survey for SSCWN magazine: $50 Visa gift card raffle, too!

Kate Carr

Administrator
Reaction score

mac

Reaction score
Kate, this should prove interesting. I would guess that maybe 5% of self serve operators do any advertising. When I ask most what they do to advertise, I usually just get a blank stare back. If you get a lot of people saying they do a lot, I would get pictures to prove it.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I took the survey As I recall there wasn't a choice for "None" when it came to advertising. Had to go with other and then list None for type. Might have listed word of mouth somewhere.

Kate Carr

Administrator
Reaction score
Mac -- I think you're entirely right. Lots of blank stares. Everyone tells me: Location, location, location. I wonder if anyone's got a story of a carwash in a really out-of-the-way area that was able to advertise their way into a success story?

Earl -- my bad! I guess I thought if you didn't check anything you'd be able to move onto the next question. Just went through it, and you're entirely right. There's no "none" option, and you have to check something to move on. I'll fix that issue next time I try my hand at data collection.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
IMO "location location location" is important, yes very; but its also an excuse...

Kate, if I could make a request - Im often disappointed that most articles (and forum posts) on this topic assume we all operate in the same market. For example I'm in a very small rural community. Almost every potential customer in my area knows of my wash, and a large percentage know of me personally. So radio/TV ads would likely be a waste for me.
If you could specify market size for any responses you receive that indicate they were successful, that would be helpful to me.