What's new

Stringers and gunfire - a fun way to spend the night

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I've been getting strung for $50-$60 a night about every 3 days for the last couple of months. I have the changers programmed to shut down after a quick $60 is changed so that was their nightly limit. I figure I've lost about $1000 to these guys. This isn't my first time with stringers. I've beaten them before with lamp timers, changer monitors, changing brands of acceptors, etc. I haven't installed cameras yet, but plan on doing so this year. This time I wanted to catch the mothers.

I guessed when they would be back, put a cozy recliner/lawn chair in the equipment room, loaded up my laptop with movies and settled in for the night. I parked down the street in a different vehicle than I normally drive as not to alert anyone that the carwash was occupied. I was awakened about 3:30am to the event happening. The plan was to call the police from inside the pump room, but they were so quick that by the time that I climbed down the loft the were already into me about $40. I always thought that they would have to work the bill back out, but they pulled it out a lot faster than it goes in. It was a very quick process. I figured no time for the police, put my gun in my waist band and grabbed my bat and flung open the door.

(continued)...........

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
The door swings out, so I had to run around the open door to get a swing at the guy at the changers. He had time to start running and I completely missed. I was taking a homerun swing and when I hit nothing I lost my balance and hit the ground losing the bat. Now all I've got is my gun.

One guy running down the street with the strung bill and change yelling back at his lookout to get out of there with the truck. I focus my attention on the lookout. He is standing on the drivers side of an idling truck with the driver door closed and the passenger door open. He starts to walk around the front of the truck as I follow him with my gun leveled at him. I demand that he not get in the truck and get on the ground. He can't get in the drivers side because the door handle is broken so he continues to walk around to the passanger side so he can get in and slide over to drive off. He continues to ignore my commands to get on the ground and starts to get in the truck. I am standing at the front of the truck. I don't know if he has weapon in there and don't want him to leave so I fire a round through the windshield next to his head as he is getting in. This convinces him to do as I say. he gets on the ground.

As I stand over him I decide to rattle him a little more and tell him, "Now I have a decision to make. I can take care of you right know by myself or I can call the police and I don't know which one I should do." I let him soak that in a bit. He already thinks I'm one crazy sob shooting into his truck next to him. I scared the shat out of him.

I call the police and they come very quickly. He didn't get arrested that night but now we have all his info. I didn't push the issue that night because I didn't get in trouble for shooting my gun and even got it back with a "better luck next time" from the police.

(continued).........

Last edited:

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Spoke to the detective handling the case today and the plan is to bring in the lookout and lean on him for the other guys name or he will take the wrap by himself. The Detective said that he would "do the ride, but not the time." Do the ride - get arrested and sit a few days in jail and have to deal with the headache. Not do the time - it is doubtful that the DA will take the case and prosocute him as he was the lookout and didn't have any strung bills or change on him (I'm not real pleased with the DA's decision)

I'm not looking for advice on how to stop stringers, I posted this for 2 reasons.
1. Hopefully its an interesting read
2. If any one in the DFW area has any video on stringers driving a small purple Ford truck, I (and the police) would like to see it. With more evidence like this it will be easier to convict both of these suspects

sorry for all grammer and spelling, I havn't proof read any of this

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
That was seriously entertaining to read, and a really good laugh.
Which bill acceptor are you using. I really think you should get at least a dvr card for a computer and a camera over the changer immediately. An armorproof dome would probably deter most from even trying to string you, but i don't think those guys will be back. Have someone check up on the one guy's neighbors, they could probably tell you who he hangs with and what they drive, and get a license plate number for you for a couple $.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Wow, great story. Like a suspense novel. You really have me scratching my head. I have two washes. I recently upgrade my two Hamilton's at the old wash to MEI validators. My new wash built in 2004 still has Hamilton validators. I am assuming that the new Hamilton validators are OK against stringing. I do audits about two or three times a year and never see a problem but now you have me wondering if it is happening and I do not know it.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
Interesting read? I am laughing my ass off. You would have been better off to shoot him. My dad always says, "a dead witness can't talk". But seriously, that sucks your getting strung, but I'm pretty sure you sent a message that won't be forgotten.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I've been getting strung for $50-$60 a night about every 3 days for the last couple of months. I have the changers programmed to shut down after a quick $60 is changed so that was their nightly limit. I figure I've lost about $1000 to these guys. This isn't my first time with stringers. I've beaten them before with lamp timers, changer monitors, changing brands of acceptors, etc. I haven't installed cameras yet, but plan on doing so this year. This time I wanted to catch the mothers.

I guessed when they would be back, put a cozy recliner/lawn chair in the equipment room, loaded up my laptop with movies and settled in for the night. I parked down the street in a different vehicle than I normally drive as not to alert anyone that the carwash was occupied. I was awakened about 3:30am to the event happening. The plan was to call the police from inside the pump room, but they were so quick that by the time that I climbed down the loft the were already into me about $40. I always thought that they would have to work the bill back out, but they pulled it out a lot faster than it goes in. It was a very quick process. I figured no time for the police, put my gun in my waist band and grabbed my bat and flung open the door.

(continued)...........
What kind of validators got strung?

Red Baron

Reaction score
Priceless. However, I wish you would have shot both of them. Yeah, you might have had to spend some time in jail, but it would make an already great story even better. lol

Having people in your area think you're a little out there isn't such a bad thing...I know it works for me. :)

My policy is that I will demand all possible charges filed against anyone trying to rip me off, to make an example. Word spreads through the criminal community faster than Herpes Simplex 10. Well, that's my policy but I've never been ripped off yet so thus far it's just a theory. I'm thinking about having a local cop press charges against someone who I think might be thinking about considering ripping me off, just so they know I'm serious. :)

bigleo48

Reaction score
Getto,

Wow...my heart was beating 1000 beats per minute reading your post. However, I think putting your life on the line for a couple of stringers isn't worth it :( I hate the ba$tards too, but getting killed would have made you dead right, but still dead :(

1st, why are you getting strung? My machines have never been strung, so a change of hardware might be in order. Cameras, Cameras, Cameras...they are not as expensive as they use to be and worth every cent! I have 30 at my wash!

2nd, I would have just got a plate, picture and let the cops deal with it initially. Then I would have thought about doing what you did, but in a way that would have been safer for you. You just don't know what kind of crazy nut jobs you are dealing with!

Happy to hear you are ok!

Big

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
These are Rowe acceptors. I have been strung with Hamilton and CoinCo also. I have never been strung with Iowa or Mars.

Cameras are in the budget this year and possibly converting to Mars.........Jury is still out on that for other considerations.

Randy

Reaction score
With the money that you’ve lost you could have bought a couple of Mars Rowe conversion kits and not had the aggravation of playing policeman. Here if you fire a weapon at someone you’ve better be protecting your life or you’re going to jail. I’ve got a friend who did 5 years for chasing down some kids who where stealing gas. When they ran out of gas and he caught up to them he fired one round into the pavement. The bullet ricocheted off the pavement and hit the muffler of the car. He was the only one arrested, the kids went home. He did 5 years for a assault with a deadly weapon. Replace the BA-50s with a Mars kit, they are a better validator.

dogwasher

Reaction score
When confronting him with the heat Did you ask him "Do you feel lucky punk"?
Good job!!

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Good thing you weren't watching a love story movie when they came, you may have wound up trying to sweet talk them into a better lifestyle. :)

I found the police are really loving the camera technology out there. The video I posted up on YouTube a month ago dealing with a guy walking into my equipment room was so clear the cops loved it. Cameras are worth the investment, your life to stop them with a shootout isn't.

However, you now have the reputation around the city as the guy who will shoot you if you steal from him. That alone should deter some thieves!

Wally

Reaction score
Good story and I feel your frustration. If that had happened in my town I would be in jail. You have nothing but a story to tell the cops. Where is your evidence? He has a bullet hole in the windshield and you fired the gun. Your wash was open at 3;30 am and he came in. Now he can't sleep at night. Sues you for pain and suffering. Go with the MEI validators.

mac

Reaction score
Couple of thoughts:
1. Was really glad that you put a round through his windshield.
2. Be careful what you post. Had this gone to trial, a worthless piece of excrement posing as a defense lawyer might be able to bring charges against you. Remember, you have to feel that your, or someone else's , life is in danger.
3. I've had disappointing results with camera pictures and video. All the cops said it was a great video, but nothing ever happened. I think it was more a case of lazy cops than anything else.

MikeV

Reaction score
What kind of changers? what kind of validators? who cares...what kind of gun do you have????
Sign on a friends car wash...a former Marine, like me.
"I don't ask questions, I don't take names, I don't take prisoners, and I shoot to kill. Protected by a U.S.Marine "

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Do you really think criminals take the time to read the signs? We just had a convience store down the street from one of my washes robbed at gunpoint in the middle of the night. Now my head is even more of a swivel as I check them in the early mornings!

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Shooting

I'm in the minority here but I suggest you surrender your gun immediately and never obtain one again. You simply can't point guns at people and fire rounds over a property crime.

There you were, at 3am, all alone, with no radio, no backup, and a bad guy concealed inside a car with who-knows-what. Had he reached for his cell phone and you thought it was a gun you'd likely be in jail for murder right now. If he had a gun you'd likely already be dead. Why did you insert yourself into such a situation at all?

I have a substantial amount of weapons training, serve on the Board of Directors for the local Sheriff's organization, and my wife is a 30 year retired peace officer including 8 years as Rangemaster and Firearms Instructor. I'm surprised you were not charged with a crime. In my area you'd be charged with a number of serious firearms-related offenses and most likely would never legally be able to own or possess a weapon again.

Yes, I like seeing the bad guys get their due, and it happens far too infrequently. But what you are risking is not worth what you are trying to save.