What's new

Street Sign Repairs

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
One of the plastic panels on my street sign cracked during the last hurricane. The panel is about 2.5' by 6' and is an opaque white. The crack runs about half way down the length of the panel. The face of the panel is basically flat and the lettering is done in vinyl.

My goal this year is to cut expenses and I would like to start by repairing this panel if possible. I was thinking about gluing a strip of plexiglass across the crack on the inside to reinforce the panel. Would Gorilla Glue work for this? Does anyone have any other ideas?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
You could drill a "hole" at the bottom of the crack, in theory, that would stop the crack. I would drill small holes on each side of the crack and use small wire to "lace" it together, that way, at night it wouldn't look weird because of the "patch".

Rudy

Reaction score
Are you talking about the "pan face"?

Last year, my 18 year old sign (which has tracks that you can change the letters) got in rough shape. I bought a custom made one online for 1/2 the price of having a local sign shop do it.

As I remember, it cost me about $300 bucks or so for a 3'x6' with 3 rows of tracks....

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
The panels I have are custom made. It is not a reader board. The vinyl letters and logo are stuck permanently to the sign.

Bill, I was thinking the clear plexiglass patch would not show up at night. I do need to make sure I use a clear drying glue.

Randy

Reaction score
Most sign inserts are made of Lexan. I think that if you glued a piece of Plexiglas on the inside you’d be able to see the patch at night. I’d stop drill the crack and leave it at that.

On a side note. I do much night business so over a year ago I turned off my sign, it hasn’t affected business at all.