What's new

Strange issue with Washworld Razor

JustClean

Reaction score
Hi all,
Maybe you have any ideas. I am running out of them. This is what happens:
About once a week my WW Razor doesn't go back into home position. North-South is okay but it ALWAYS stops around 1' before its final position.
This is what my technician and I with the assistance of Washworld have done so far in that order (every time checking if problem still exists):

A
Checked distance of all sensors.
B
Reset PLC
C
Replaced end position sensor on trolley.
D
Replaced helicopter sensor on trolley.
E
Replaced cable of end position sensor on trolley.
F
Replaced cable on helicopter sensor on trolley.

It was also mentioned to Washworld that when driving the trolley towards the final position that the trolley always hesitates for a tiny millisecond before it keeps moving for the last 1'. There is no mechanical issue in this area. Washworld confirmed that this was normal!?!
My suggestion was that maybe the software is corrupt. Washworld said this would not be a software issue. But why is this is ALWAYS happening at the same spot? Any input would be great.

PS
Forgot to mention: It always happen at the end of the wash when the car is about to leave.

Last edited:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
it sounds like the Home position sensor is picking up a signal in that area. Sounds like a mechanical issue and not a software issue. What else is in the circuit for the home position sensor? Is there a relay involved? yes intermittent problems are tricky, but if the same error is happening in the exact same spot every time the error occurs, then that should be A good starting point. Please keep us posted.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would say that the problem is whatever is causing the hesitation when you manually move the trolley. Some thing is binding or otherwise causing that hesitation. I don't think that the software is involved when you are using the machine in "hand off auto mode ", which is characterized by switching off The automatic functions and switching on manual functions.

What about a loose or faulty drive belt that is missing teeth?

bobcat9095

Reaction score
How old is your Razor? I had a similar issue and it was resolved with a new gearbox at the trolly motor. The old one was “skipping” causing the cross shaped flag (helicopter sensor” to skip out of correct alignment. The slight pause you mention is normal.

bobcat9095

Reaction score
Also check the position of your cross shaped flag with your arch rotated and all the way to the driver side as far as it will go. The flag should be straight up and down in line with your prox sensor. I hope that makes sense.

JustClean

Reaction score
it sounds like the Home position sensor is picking up a signal in that area. Sounds like a mechanical issue and not a software issue. What else is in the circuit for the home position sensor? Is there a relay involved? yes intermittent problems are tricky, but if the same error is happening in the exact same spot every time the error occurs, then that should be A good starting point. Please keep us posted.
Hmm...sorry no mechanical issue and no relay.

Eric H

Reaction score
How old is your Razor? I had a similar issue and it was resolved with a new gearbox at the trolly motor. The old one was “skipping” causing the cross shaped flag (helicopter sensor” to skip out of correct alignment. The slight pause you mention is normal.
It sounds like a gearbox issue to me too. My gearbox was allowing the carriage to glide past the stop flag and crash into the rail stops. Difficult to diagnose. Problem is, if you want to inspect the gearbox or motor you damage the parts separating them.

APW

Reaction score
I've had several gear boxes go out on two of my Razors as well. Another thing that will happen is the snap ring that holds the shaft with the "helicopter" in place will corrode off over time and the shaft will move through the gear box causing the prox to read wrong or fail.

water guy

Reaction score
I've had several gear boxes go out on two of my Razors as well. Another thing that will happen is the snap ring that holds the shaft with the "helicopter" in place will corrode off over time and the shaft will move through the gear box causing the prox to read wrong or fail.
Wonder why they don't use a stainless snap ring?

APW

Reaction score
They might have switched to them on the newer machines. I did order stainless ones the last time I ordered some from them.

JustClean

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I think my Razor is 9 years old. Checked belt, gearbox, helicopter plate - looks all good to me.
The strange thing is that if this happens it ALWAYS stops at the same spot - the spot where it slows down for a millisecond and Washworld says that this slowdown is normal. If it was the gearbox I guess wouldn't that create the problem also somewhere else?

AutoSpaMobMO

Reaction score
I will be closing on my first wash May 26th with these washes installed. Just dropped in to see some of the issues everyone has had. I think mine were installed 4 years ago so I will have to ask the current owner if he has changed these to S

Etowah

bobcat9095

Reaction score
So it’s stopping short of home position and you’re getting a right limit fault?

JustClean

Reaction score
Yes and no fault in the display whatsoever!!!
I have to manually drive it into home position and then all is good again...until next time😐
Thank God until now it didn't happen after hours.

bobcat9095

Reaction score
Give me a call later today sometime and I’ll tell you how I figured mine out. I’ll message you my number.

Etowah