What's new

Strange issue with Washworld Razor

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had to replace a gearbox on a machine with about 20,000 washes and a motor on another with about 80,000. Those are the ONLY major repairs I’ve had to do. Any other repairs have been related to “customer incidents”.
The 20,000 figure sounds a little low for needing a gearbox but maybe there was another underlying issue like binding that created it. 80 to 100,000 washes seems pretty decent. When you start thinking of all the revenue associated with those kinds of numbers a motor and gearbox combo doesn't seem like a big deal to me at all.

JustClean

Reaction score
Just a quick update so far:
I got a new software a week ago. Mine was a few versions behind. Until now the machine behaved great. No issues whatsoever - but I had this happening before. So we'll see in another week or two🤪

bobcat9095

Reaction score
Just a quick update so far:
I got a new software a week ago. Mine was a few versions behind. Until now the machine behaved great. No issues whatsoever - but I had this happening before. So we'll see in another week or two🤪
Hopefully that’s it. When you say “software” do you mean an updated memory module? Just curious. I just had to have mind updated recently due to replacing my dryers.

JustClean

Reaction score
So was there any mechanical repair done, too, or just a software update?
Just a software update! Unreal! With a computer they usually tell you what's the update for...fixed this... improved that.
Here, I've got no idea. Except for the revision number I couldn't even see any changes.

JustClean

Reaction score
Guess what? It's now January 15th and the same 5#i7 happens again after 6 months trouble free service!!!!! :mad:
I've ordered a new gearbox now. The old one still looks and feels great. But I will change it anyway. I'm sick of it.
I mean how come that it stops doing this after a software update and now this? I tried to push the arch - it's not moving a bit!
Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted.

Beddattery

Reaction score
I haven't seen this in the thread so i will throw this out there....

I had a similar intermittent problem with the Trolley. It would actually hit the stop and throw the belt.
According to a Wash World tech the easiest way to test the trolley gearbox is this...

Using the remote.... park the trolley in the center of the carriage.
Turn on High pressure rinse using the arch
If the arch moves with the rinse on......the gearbox needs to be replaced.

I replaced the gearbox and the problem was solved....

Hope this helps....

JustClean

Reaction score
I haven't seen this in the thread so i will throw this out there....

I had a similar intermittent problem with the Trolley. It would actually hit the stop and throw the belt.
According to a Wash World tech the easiest way to test the trolley gearbox is this...

Using the remote.... park the trolley in the center of the carriage.
Turn on High pressure rinse using the arch
If the arch moves with the rinse on......the gearbox needs to be replaced.

I replaced the gearbox and the problem was solved....

Hope this helps....

Thanks for trying to help🤗 but I've done that and it's rock solid. I've got no idea.
I'll put the gearbox in when it arrives and will let everyone know. Thank you all again for your support.

traveler17

Reaction score
I had the same problem with a Belanger Vector. Once the carriage gearbox got worn, the pressure would push the machine down the rails a bit when it was supposed to be stopped, and for some brilliant reason the prox isn't active when the carriage isn't supposed to be moving so it doesn't "know" it's drifting.
Exact problem w my vector

JustClean

Reaction score
And another update:
I installed the new gearbox and guess what? So far so good. But I just washed 10 cars. So nothing to rave about. Anyway, the old gearbox looked and felt almost like new after 10 years of operation!!!
Anyway, when I was removing the helicopter plate I noticed that the screw was tight....but not tight, tight, tight!

Thinking about that, maybe, for a chance with every stop the arch was doing the helicopter plate could have turned a little bit!?!???

If that was the case this would completely make sense that the washing envelope was moving sidewards.

Next step is to look inside the old gearbox and keep monitoring the machine.
Maybe we'll never find out.

I'll keep you updated.
Cheers Jistclean

mgmtoo

Reaction score
Just an observation. I had trouble with WW machine, doing similar stops. It was rubbing the pros sensor like in your pic. The Service techs could not figure it out. I replaced all of my rollers and the problem went away!

BarMo

Reaction score
And another update:
I installed the new gearbox and guess what? So far so good. But I just washed 10 cars. So nothing to rave about. Anyway, the old gearbox looked and felt almost like new after 10 years of operation!!!
Anyway, when I was removing the helicopter plate I noticed that the screw was tight....but not tight, tight, tight!

Thinking about that, maybe, for a chance with every stop the arch was doing the helicopter plate could have turned a little bit!?!???

If that was the case this would completely make sense that the washing envelope was moving sidewards.

Next step is to look inside the old gearbox and keep monitoring the machine.
Maybe we'll never find out.

I'll keep you updated.
Cheers Jistclean
So this is quite a bit after you had your problem but some people may still be reading this tread. We had a similar issue. The razor could wash a 300 cars without the arch not completing its trip to home position or as little as 20 washes. We changed prox's , sensor wire, All in all about 900 dollars in attempts to fix this issue. Then Mark from our local washworld distributor told me to do something so simple. He said that wherever the helicopter is on the proximity sensor, to move it on or off by 1/2". The move was made and have not had a repeat problem in over a year. Having said that the move fixed the problem sounds ridiculous but it could have been that the screw holding the star might have been a tiny bit loose or just the slight movement of the star plate did. Anyway, it doesn't take much effort to try this.

BCM

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
so...... after all this discussion, mis-diagnosis, software update, and other parts changed, the problem was a simple mechanical issue.

I've learned, with lots of help, to look at the simplest things first.

JustClean

Reaction score
So this is quite a bit after you had your problem but some people may still be reading this tread. We had a similar issue. The razor could wash a 300 cars without the arch not completing its trip to home position or as little as 20 washes. We changed prox's , sensor wire, All in all about 900 dollars in attempts to fix this issue. Then Mark from our local washworld distributor told me to do something so simple. He said that wherever the helicopter is on the proximity sensor, to move it on or off by 1/2". The move was made and have not had a repeat problem in over a year. Having said that the move fixed the problem sounds ridiculous but it could have been that the screw holding the star might have been a tiny bit loose or just the slight movement of the star plate did. Anyway, it doesn't take much effort to try this.

BCM

Hi BMC,
Yes, I knew that. In fact what you actually should be doing is to drive the machine to the home position and then make sure the helicopter is directly above the prox switch. (Which is what you're doing by moving it left or right).
But thanks for your response.