What's new

strange bay problem

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have 1 bay in which none of the wand functions work. The fb works fine but the tri-foam is not getting any air in that bay but is in others. I can push in the contactor on the pump and it will start but I can't get it to start any other way. Usually it's the belt when the timer works but not the pump but not this time and the no air thing is a complete curve ball. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I checked and changed the fuse and I can manually make the contactor. It's a JC Supersaver. There are some of those ice cube relays at the top of the panel that I don't know what they control. This seems like a fuse/relay kind of a problem but it is not the only fuse that I know about.

wader

Reaction score
Im not familiar with your contactor but they should all be relatively similar. Did you try tightening the three main leads that go into the contactor. Somtimes these can become loose. Also there should be a reset switch on the contactor of some kind, try that if you have not allready done so. One more thing, mine have limit switches on them, if for some reason these got bumped to a lower setting you will keep blowing your reset. Just be carefull to not turn it up to high as you might blow other things. Check your other bays to see what setting it should be at.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
That's what I'm going to do as soon as I can catch them all empty. I don't want to shut down somebody who is trying to wash and I have no idea what they do.
BTW I had a wire loose on the air solenoid so that is fixed and was not, of course part of the other problem.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I switched all of the relays around and nothing changed and I've checked/changed the fuse. The contactor comes on if I push it but not by itself. Any other ideas?

washnvac

Reaction score
Bad contactor? Did you check for voltage at the contactor leads? If no voltage, then it is probably the rotary switch, or push button module; whichever you have. If you have voltage on the contactor coil, then that is the problem.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
If the contactor is bad would it work when I pushed it in? Does the fact that it is only the wand functions (but all of the wand functions) rule out the push button module?
I'm electrically challenged so I have no idea how to check the voltage at the contactor leads. Do I just touch the volt meter to both leads?
Thanks

wader

Reaction score
Im pretty sure that when you push it in, it just overides the contactor. Swap it out.

washnvac

Reaction score
On the top of the contactor is coil voltage that pulls it in. Pushing it in means nothing in terms of the contactor pulling in automatically. With bay in hp mode, put your meter leads on the two leads in the top of contactor. Should be 24 vac there. If nothing, then it is elswhere. If 24 +/-, then coil on contactor is bad. Replace whole thing.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Yes, just place the volt meter on the input terminals. If you want to survive this business, you need to learn how to use that tool.

Main thing with electricity, DO NOT put the black and white wire on your tongue to test.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Got it! I see what wader was refering to now. When I hit the reset switch (I guess!) it kicked on. So far it has come on every time that I have tried it.
Thanks guys!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I had two motor contactors trip the resets when the power went off while the bays was in-use. Something to keep in mind if the power ever goes out....

MEP001

Reaction score
Jimmy Buffett said:
Got it! I see what wader was refering to now. When I hit the reset switch (I guess!) it kicked on. So far it has come on every time that I have tried it.
Thanks guys!
Sounds like your thermal overload was tripped. The thermal overload doesn't cut the 3-phase power to the motor when the contactor is engaged, it only opens the circuit to the control voltage that engages it.