What's new

Stolen Pop Machine caught on tape at Wash

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Its people like this that make owning a car wash a pain in the ass. I just bought this pop machine around the end of last July and was getting used to having something cold to drink when I got to that wash. Then one day at 5:30 am this Jackass decides he's going to try to drive my machine home in his stolen Buick. This happened back in early December and the detectives just now got the video to the TV station. I only had to drop off the video three different times. Don't ask me what happened to the first two I dropped off.

http://www.woio.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipid1=5591187&at1

Sorry you have to watch a short commercial before the video.

Last edited:

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Perps

That just really sucks.

I just had my truck broken into in the driveway of my home. Have 4 mins of video of the little @$@$#$ and he is as calm and unconcerned as you get.

The damage you suffered, on top of the crime, would really raise my blood pressure.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Its people like this that make owning a car wash a pain in the ass. I just bought this pop machine around the end of last July and was getting used to having something cold to drink when I got to that wash. Then one day at 5:30 am this Jackass decides he's going to try to drive my machine home in his stolen Buick. This happened back in early December and the detectives just now got the video to the TV station. I only had to drop off the video three different times. Don't ask me what happened to the first two I dropped off.

http://www.woio.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipid1=5591187&at1

Sorry you have to watch a short commercial before the video.
GoBuckeyes,

I can relate. I remember back in the early 70s before be fastened the coin boxes as good & before alarm systems how some devil hooked onto their vehicle with a coin box & jerked everything including snapping 12 gauge wires that were secured in the box. At that time that was the size of wires used by some of us. We helped catch a vandal-thief very recently by showing people we knew -- his face from our video. It supplemented what the police had to work with! Ideally, the local news media would contact us & the police rather than us running after them when we are already overwhelmed by the logistics of an incident! A person hopes for good journalists & officers in moments like that so we don't have to be running after them to correct possible misinformation & who recognize timeliness is important also. I suppose 3 months is better than nothing but most of us will agree that was not done with the best timing ---- unless they had much more urgent events going on.

MJ

Tpoppa

Reaction score
GoBucks,

You are just a few miles from me. What kind of moron tries to steal a pop machine?

Last year someone stole 2 metal grates from my bays. I assume it was to scrap the metal. They probably got $1 for them.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Usually with pop machines, they drill into the handle and then stick in a pin to get the popup look to release. Then they take the changer and change.

Most have covers for this, but can be fairly easily broken off. I have mine hooked up to my alarm system and its indicated on the handle cover...it says "Machine connected to alarm system, Under video Surveillance" and a sticker from the alarm company. Haven't had any issues since.

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
WashNVac, I have 16 Camera Vertex DVR from RuggedCCTV with 2 Terabytes of storage. The actual cameras are from various suppliers including RuggedCCTV. I've been very happy with the system, but like everyone else, I wish I had more cameras covering more areas. This system has paid for itself many times over.

BigLeo, I don't think a sticker or an alarm siren would have stopped this guy. There were two cameras directly over the machine which he clearly should have seen. This was in December which isn't the height of soda season. The machine accepted $1 bills and TOKENS which is all we dispense there. In addition, he doesn't even hesitate driving that car through our Wyndstar door. Some people are just too damn stupid for us to deter.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
WashNVac, I have 16 Camera Vertex DVR from RuggedCCTV with 2 Terabytes of storage. The actual cameras are from various suppliers including RuggedCCTV. I've been very happy with the system, but like everyone else, I wish I had more cameras covering more areas. This system has paid for itself many times over.

BigLeo, I don't think a sticker or an alarm siren would have stopped this guy. There were two cameras directly over the machine which he clearly should have seen. This was in December which isn't the height of soda season. The machine accepted $1 bills and TOKENS which is all we dispense there. In addition, he doesn't even hesitate driving that car through our Wyndstar door. Some people are just too damn stupid for us to deter.
GoBucks,

This might be a dumb question but did he do any damage to the closed Windstar door? We have excruciating memories of our polycarbonate doors being run into!

MJ

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
MJ,
thats a good question, not a dumb one. The Wyndstar door is just like it never happened. Door was out of the track when I got there, I ran it up, and when it came down it was in the track and ready to go again. We have 5 Wyndstar doors and 1 polycarb door. I would highly recommend the Wyndstar. They are easy to erect and work as advertised. The company has been good to deal with as well.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
MJ,
thats a good question, not a dumb one. The Wyndstar door is just like it never happened. Door was out of the track when I got there, I ran it up, and when it came down it was in the track and ready to go again. We have 5 Wyndstar doors and 1 polycarb door. I would highly recommend the Wyndstar. They are easy to erect and work as advertised. The company has been good to deal with as well.
GoBucks,

In our area with sometimes sustained temperatures of below minus 20 degrees for several weeks with a wicked minus 50 wind chill --- I wonder how the Wyndstar would work for energy efficiency etc. The breakaway for the Wyndstar definitely would be a plus though. I suppose cutting with a sharp knife would make the Wyndstar much less secure for locking up the bay at night for security purposes ---- I suppose would be another tradeoff.

MJ

Last edited: