What's new

Stinky bays

AutoSpaMobMO

Reaction score
Ok, newbie here. We are getting ready to close on our first wash. I have been going by the wash a lot lately looking around and getting familiar with the wash.
I got to the wash one day and was walking past the self serve bays and smelled a nasty sewer smell. It had been extremely hot and we had a few days of rain afterward. I texted the owner and told him about the smell and he replied "pits smell that way when it gets hot outside". I said ok is there anything that can reduce the smell? He then replied "they don't stay that way. The last few days have been slow so there isn't a lot of water movement in the pits. Once we are back to normal traffic this week it will sudside."
I have gone by a few more times on cooler days and I still get a whiff of it a little.
Just wanted to get all experienced wash owners input.
Thank you

MEP001

Reaction score
It's a common problem. I've always had it the worst after the pits are cleaned and it's also warm/hot, worst in the slowest bay(s). My solution is to take a swimming pool chlorine pellet, wrap it with baling wire to make a cage, and hang it from the grate so it's about 6" below the water surface. It kills the smell within a day and lasts a couple months.

AutoSpaMobMO

Reaction score
It's a common problem. I've always had it the worst after the pits are cleaned and it's also warm/hot, worst in the slowest bay(s). My solution is to take a swimming pool chlorine pellet, wrap it with baling wire to make a cage, and hang it from the grate so it's about 6" below the water surface. It kills the smell within a day and lasts a couple months.
Thank you. I knew I would get an answer on here. I figured there had to be something to do about it.