What's new

Stinkin' Vacs

cdreed06

Reaction score
I know I have seen something about this on this forum but cannot find it now. Someone had a way to put some scented stuff in the top of their vacs to make them smell better. We have so many guys with boats that come through and vac up the water then the vacs stink with the brew down in the bottom of them. Does anybody remember how this was done? Thanks

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing what works too. I had a farmer, over a year ago, vac up some herbicide or insecticide out of a grain drill. Not just in one vac, he used both vacs on the same island...I even bought brand new filters to try to get rid of the smell. The smell is still there a year later.

I feel your pain with having to deal with the "Brew"! I'd rather take a beating than clean up that mess. Its always nice to pull into the wash and see the nasty goo pouring out of the vac door, down the island, and all over the concrete. I wonder what "Absolutely NO Liquids" means to some people?!?!?!

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Even though my vacs don't smell I'd be interested in putting something up in the vac dome to provide a "fresh, clean" aroma. I think the customers would like it and possibly $pend more time in the vac/detail area.

madscientist

Reaction score
1.) Buy container of Carpet Fresh
2.) Pour it out on or near your vacuum island
3.) Vacuum it up

MEP001

Reaction score
madscientist said:
1.) Buy container of Carpet Fresh
2.) Pour it out on or near your vacuum island
3.) Vacuum it up
For what it's worth, I hate the smell of that stuff.

If you have people vacuuming up smelly liquids, I don't think you'll do much by putting fragrance in the vac other than making it smell like shrimp and lavender.

Do you have vacs that will accept the rubber clean-out tubs? If you do, just get some and dump them every day.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I think the carpet fresh would beat what my vacs smell like now. I think I'll give it a try!

I tired bleaching the inside walls of the vacs to get rid of the chemical smell, but that didn't even work. So hopefully the carpet fresh will work.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree that the rubber clean out bins made by CR Hamel Mfg. are the best thing I bought for the vacs.

They beat the pants off those silly vinyl thingys with the spring steel hoops!

I think sucking up some scent is fine but you gotta douche the vacs out real good first.

JustClean

Reaction score
Sometimes when there is a really bad smell I turn the vac on and the fragrance machine and spray the fragrance into the vac. Not the best idea but it "softens" the smell a bit.

madscientist

Reaction score
I must admit, the "shrimp and lavender" comment made me laugh out loud, and then throw up in my mouth a little bit.

It's true that it's only a cover up, but it does help if you choose the right fragrance. There are a few different brands and some have a pet odor eliminator. That one is decent. Some fragrances work better than others.

MEP001

Reaction score
JustClean said:
Sometimes when there is a really bad smell I turn the vac on and the fragrance machine and spray the fragrance into the vac. Not the best idea but it "softens" the smell a bit.
I've done that with a deodorizer spray like Febreze, but it only helps for a short time.

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
They beat the pants off those silly vinyl thingys with the spring steel hoops!
Those things are great when you want something in the vacs to get sucked up against the bag openings and make the vac not work.