What's new

Stealing Security Cameras

Jack

Reaction score
Never had this happen before, but with digitial cameras covering all carwashes, now in one location they dress in a ski mask and rip the camera from the mounting braket. The cameras are mounted just below the roof line but they can stand on the side of a pickup and reach them. We play back and watch our cameras get ripped down but police can not ID anyone, only the build of the person.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks;
Jack Bailey

Does anyone know if these cams can b used for anything else? Don't think they can be used for a web cam?

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
You might look into tag cameras to get license plate numbers. I'd be really concerned about someone ripping down cameras because they might be planning to come back later to break in.

Jack

Reaction score
Stealing Cameras

Thanks all,, We finally today mounted them in the attic with a hole, just the tip of the camera pointing out. We will see........

Thanks again;
Jack

MEP001

Reaction score
Jack said:
Does anyone know if these cams can b used for anything else? Don't think they can be used for a web cam?
I was just thinking, if they are the "bullet" cams with RCA or BNC connectors, they may be stealing them to use them as helmet cameras.

denduke

Reaction score
Hide the cameras, as stated above, and switch to Tokens, which makes your business less attractive to criminals.

Randy

Reaction score
Over the years we have lost a lot of cameras. The tweakers would bring there own ladders at night and take down the cameras. We got some great pictures of them with there sunglasses and hoodies on in the middle of the night with a ladder on top of there van or in the back of a pickup, they?d take the license plate off or cover it up. One of them left a nice 20? extension ladder. We?ve hidden the cameras, they?d take down the ceiling panels, and we?ve gone to tokens. Now the car washes are secured at night, fenced, gated and locked from 10 pm to 7 am. The armed security patrol that locks the gate also checks on the wash a couple of times a night and if they find anyone in the fenced area they will do what ever it takes to bring them down including drawing there weapon.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
What about using those vandal proof domes that are advertised? I know it's an extra cost, and we're in the biz to reduce costs, but do those domes keep the theives out?

MEP001

Reaction score
Jeff L said:
What about using those vandal proof domes that are advertised? I know it's an extra cost, and we're in the biz to reduce costs, but do those domes keep the theives out?
The good ones start around $400. I can get the bullet cams for $50 and they have about the same image quality. If they were taking down the cameras to break in, I'd probably go with the vandal resistant domes, but it sounds like they're just stealing the cameras.

buda

Reaction score
Stolen Cameras

At our conveyorized exterior wash we lost two cameras. As someone stated they use ski masks to hide their faces.

We also had stainless steel doors built around our Auto Sentry units and they stole those too. However, we identified the thief and the police caught him and after about 10 post-poned court trials they dismissed the case.

My partner was also knocked down twice by a low-life that lived in the apartments behind the wash, same place the thief lived. Had that on video from the cameras.

The DA's office told my partner they were not going to prosecute the guy, no reason really given.

Another friend has a construction company w/ a yard that is constantly "hit" by the "tweakers" and basically the police officers told him that he ought to just catch them there at night himself and beat the "h" out of them because they will not be prosecuted and if they were the sentence would be minimal and they'd be out again.

What has our country come to when major violaters of the law are not punished.

Just what we need is more liberalism in this country, vote thoughtfully on Tuesday.

Randy

Reaction score
You must live in OREEEEEEEEEGON

buda

Reaction score
Security Cameras

No, Randy I actually live in:

"ORYGUN"

galen

Reaction score
Stealing cameras

Cameras with a pedestal bracket are easily stolen. In a situation like that you would use this type of camera and base. The mounting screws are hidden. These cameras can take a blow from a bat and still work. And don't cost 400.00. $135.00 is more like it. If you want zoom and focus they run 200.00 The O ring between the led's and lens keeps the infrared from reflecting back into the camera. You get what you pay for.

MEP001

Reaction score
I actually bought and installed the very camera pictured on the right. It worked for 36 hours and quit.

galen

Reaction score
I actually bought and installed the very camera pictured on the right. It worked for 36 hours and quit.
Well you had a warranty or guarantee right?:eek: Maybe not for 50 dollars. Mine have two years by themselves, manufactured by GE. and three years if you buy the dvr with them. :)

MEP001

Reaction score
I stuck it back in the box and promptly forgot about it - it's long out of warranty now.

It wasn't a $50 camera. I think it was $150.